When woodwinds are added....

I get to have some fun going up against Jeff on this one! Many Wind Instruments have been placed in the Percussion section by Orchestral Composers; but that does not make them Percussion Instruments, they are still technically Wind Instruments. Here are definitions from Merriam-Webster proving my contention: Percussion: The Beating or Striking of an Instrument; Percussion Instrument: A Musical Instrument making sound by Striking, Shaking, or Scraping. Wind Instrument: A Musical Instrument making sound by wind; especially the Player’s Breath. So if they are fine by you to be in the percussion section of a Drum Corps, it appears to me that you are you willing to accept "non-percussion, non-brass wind instruments" in the Drum And Bugle Corps activity. Correct?

I think you are both right in this case. Yes, a whistle is an aerophone like a flute, but it through usage it is also a percussion instrument, as its purpose is for sound effects, like other auxiliary percussion.

auxiliary percussion

• Like 1

I think you are both right in this case. Yes, a whistle is an aerophone like a flute, but it through usage it is also a percussion instrument, as its purpose is for sound effects, like other auxiliary percussion.

auxiliary percussion

"Their main function is to provide a sound that is either comical or meant to simulate a known sound."

Glad we defined synths and samplers as auxiliary percussion! Thanks!

auxiliary percussion

Mike: It is true that music dictionaries classify these instruments as "auxiliary percussion". However a person has to accept the fact that for this to occur the definition of percussion had to be altered from strictly striking, shaking, and scraping to accommodate these aerophones within the percussion section. So, I take it that you accept that definition alteration change of percussion? (I still am awaiting a reply from Jeff on this same question).

If the unthinkable happens and woodwinds are allowed unfettered, will it still be referred to as drum corps

By some.... yes.

Even if Drum Corps " merged with the "Rodeo", some would still insist that it is " Drum Corps "... not " a bunch of bull ".

• Like 1

Mike: It is true that music dictionaries classify these instruments as "auxiliary percussion". However a person has to accept the fact that for this to occur the definition of percussion had to be altered from strictly striking, shaking, and scraping to accommodate these aerophones within the percussion section. So, I take it that you accept that definition alteration change of percussion? (I still am awaiting a reply from Jeff on this same question).

You are DCP's very own Devil's Advocate!

DCI could be wrong, or they are wrong? The word usage is important. But more importantly, in your opinion, it is wrong to have non-brass wind produced instruments in the percussion section of a drum corps? I will wait for this answer with much anticipation!!! :rolleyes:

I've always considered them percussion, and I will until I see an official list of what is and isn't a woodwind

"Their main function is to provide a sound that is either comical or meant to simulate a known sound."

Glad we defined synths and samplers as auxiliary percussion! Thanks!

:spitting:

Ok, so hit the #### thing, then blow on it. Problem solved : tongue:

Can't wait for the "piano is/isn't a percussion instrument" to start. :cool: