When woodwinds are added....

True, sad but true. But I wonder, do stereotypes change?

sometimes. I mean many people think i'm a self absorbed ######## blowhard til they meet me.

then they realize I'm a know it all, pit bull attacking, non able to back down self absorbed ######## blowhard :tongue:

> I have always seen them classified as a percussion instrument, and as such, I consider them one.

There was a time before you were born where aerophones were "not" classified as percussion instruments; and your admitted acceptance of them now is clearly based on the fact that you have never "seen" them classified otherwise. Well there was a time before a person born in 2009 where synths were not classified as pit percussion instruments in DCI. So, utilizing your reasoning, a person born today can in the future accurately say they are acceptable instruments in a drum corps because they will have always "seen" them accepted as such in DCI.

> if rules changes DETRACT from the product...

That statement is nothing more than a subjective opinion; some will say Detract, others will say Additive.

Edited by Stu

sometimes. I mean many people think i'm a self absorbed ######## blowhard til they meet me.

then they realize I'm a know it all, pit bull attacking, non able to back down self absorbed ######## blowhard :tongue:

I wanted to give you a green rep right there... but I had second thoughts! :tongue:

Edited by charlie1223

> I have always seen them classified as a percussion instrument, and as such, I consider them one.

There was a time before you were born where aerophones were "not" classified as percussion instruments; and your admitted acceptance of them now is clearly based on the fact that you have never "seen" them classified otherwise. Well there was a time before a person born in 2009 where synths were not classified as pit percussion instruments in DCI. So, utilizing your reasoning, a person born today can in the future accurately say they are acceptable instruments in a drum corps because they will have always "seen" them accepted as such in DCI.

> if rules changes DETRACT from the product...

That statement is nothing more than a subjective opinion; some will say Detract, others will say Additive.

ok well I was born just before DCI was formed. they have been percussion instruments since then, so I'm ok with it as it stands.

and as far as detract...well....I'd say the writing is on the wall about what it "adds", even if those who see the results bury their heads in the sand.

but hey, if you're ok with attendance continuing to sink from a college stadium in a not major makret to 2 years of finals in an NFL facility in a major market, then good for you.

I wanted to give you a green rep right there... but I had second thoughts! :tongue:

i considered it a compliment :tongue:

but hey, if you're ok with attendance continuing to sink from a college stadium in a not major market to 2 years of finals in an NFL facility in a major market, then good for you.

Honestly, drum corps shows should only be in really nice college stadiums. I bet they are way cheaper to rent out than professional ones. I mean, I guess the only reason DCI goes to the pro stadiums (with domes) is because of the possibility of rained out shows... and we all know about last year's Minneapolis rain out.... what a shame. (That makes me think that if your going to use a pro stadium without a roof then you should just use a really nice college stadium for a cheaper cost I think...)

rained out shows vs. disgruntled fans + higher costs *that's a dilemma

*I fully regret opening this can of worms... :shutup:

Edited by charlie1223

Honestly, drum corps shows should only be in really nice college stadiums. I bet they are way cheaper to rent out than professional ones. I mean, I guess the only reason DCI goes to the pro stadiums (with domes) is because of the possibility of rained out shows... and we all know about last year's Minneapolis rain out.... what a shame. (That makes me think that if your going to use a pro stadium without a roof then you should just use a really nice college stadium for a cheaper cost I think...)

rained out shows vs. disgruntled fans + higher costs *that's a dilemma

Also DCI and Lucas Oil Stadium have a five year contract. I don't see any college stadiums offering that. Plus LOS is in a more populated city then, lets say, Camp Randell. It should attract a newer fan base, which is what DCI is ultimately trying to do - get newer faces into the seats of the events. Yes DCI does try to keep older fans in the picture, but from what I've seen is that the older fans just want to push innovation down the drain. If it were up to the older population of fans then we'd still be high stepping, marching in symmetrical drill, and playing show tunes. That's not what I want to do (especially as someone currently involved in the drum corps activity).

> but hey, if you're ok with attendance continuing to sink from a college stadium in a not major makret to 2 years of finals in an NFL facility in a major market, then good for you.

In another thread I stated that I personally believe local DCI shows should be held in high school stadiums and DCI Regionals/Finals should be held at university stadiums. I have never advocated having Finals at a huge pro stadium. To me, an organization like DCI sometimes has to lean down to get stronger.

Edited by Stu

, but from what I've seen is that the older fans just want to push innovation down the drain. If it were up to the older population of fans then we'd still be high stepping, marching in symmetrical drill, and playing show tunes. That's not what I want to do (especially as someone currently involved in the drum corps activity).

What? :blink:

Well, I don't think most of the older population of fans want what you have given as examples above.

I never high stepped, marching in symmetrical drill, or played show tunes in drum corps.

I think you have come to an incorrect conclusion. Many "older" fans want to see crazy visuals coupled with full musical ideas. We are fine with musical selections that are new to the field, but they must be well presented, not just cut and pasted together. The musical arrangements must be exceptional. It is not necessary to add additional colors to the musical pallet in an arrangement to make them exceptional. Arrangers may think they need them, but that's sort of a crutch. Use what is present in the idiom and make magic with what's there instead of changing the idiom to something that's already around. We like innovation...

I like to think of BK 2010 as an example of music that was presented pretty well...

Synths, guitar, banjos, bass guitars, violins, etc... have been on a marching field for over 20 years. That's hardly innovative. I hope people can see pass these when they think of innovation.

Edited because Stu was being literal. Sorry Stu, I hope I made my message more clear! :tongue:

Edited by jjeffeory
  • Like 2

It is not necessary to add voices to the arrangement to make them exceptional. Arrangers may think they need them, but that's sort of a crutch.

Really?!?! Voices are "not" exceptional but merely a crutch? So, when the Bluecoats finished playing The Boxer then sang a phrase that was "not" exceptional? The Cavaliers entire corps picking up rifles and yelling in unison This is My Rifle was "not" exceptional?

Edited by Stu