When woodwinds are added....

Really?!?! Voices are "not" exceptional but merely a crutch? So, when the Bluecoats finished playing The Boxer then sang a phrase that was "not" exceptional? The Cavaliers entire corps picking up rifles and yelling in unison This is My Rifle was "not" exceptional?

:tongue:

Wrong voice!

I meant additional colors... Like woodwinds...

Synths are pushing it for me, they let any sound you can sample into the mix. This one instrument should negate the need for pretty much any other instrument change...

I changed the original post. I hope it makes more sense now... :satisfied:

I don't mind those examples, or the '84 WSS ( Garfield Cadets) singing, or the Freelancers '85 singing.

I'm not a big fan if Crown's 2004 singing or Cadets 2006 singing, though I didn't mind Bluecoats 2010 amplified voice, which I assume was a pre-recorded snippet that played when the synth player pushed 1 key...

Edited by jjeffeory

:tongue:

Wrong voice!

I meant additional colors... Like woodwinds...

You are right; this is a Drum & Bugle Corps. Although woodwinds are technically wind instruments they are not "bugles". So, with that reasoning, I take it that if you were alive back in the 1930's you would have been just as against adding non drum instruments (colors) such as the Bells because even though bells are percussion instruments, they are not "drums". Correct?

Edited by Stu

You are right; this is a Drum & Bugle Corps. Although woodwinds are technically "wind" instruments they are not bugles. So, with that reasoning, I take it that if you were alive back in the 1930's you would have been just as against adding non drum instruments (colors) such as the Bells because even though bells are percussion instruments, they are not "drums". Correct?

I have no idea what I would have thought.

I don't know why you would make that assumption...

Now that I think about it, I'm not crazy about the sound of *just* bells. I would prefer a blend of bells, xylophones, and marimbas. Percussion instruments are percussion instruments.

Drum and Bugle Corps, in my way of thinking, is best as acoustic percussion and brass.

Synths muddle things pretty far, but they are percussion instruments.

I would like to see more variety in the brass voicing between corps, such as different blends of flugels, mellophones, trombones, baritones, euphs, and French horn bugles. That would be innovative in this era of hornline "sameness".

So, what about you? If you were alive back in the 1930's would you have been for or against adding non drum instruments (colors) such as the Bells because even though bells are percussion instruments, they are not "drums".

Edited by jjeffeory

I have no idea what I would have thought.

I don't know why you would make that assumption...

Now that I think about it, I'm not crazy about the sound of *just* bells. I would prefer a blend of bells, xylophones, and marimbas. Percussion instruments are percussion instruments.

Drum and Bugle Corps, in my way of thinking, is best as acoustic percussion and brass.

Synths muddle things pretty far, but they are percussion instruments.

I would like to see more variety in the brass voicing between corps, such as different blends of flugels, mellophones, trombones, baritones, euphs, and French horn bugles. That would be innovative in this era of hornline "sameness".

So, what about you? If you were alive back in the 1930's would you have been for or against adding non drum instruments (colors) such as the Bells because even though bells are percussion instruments, they are not "drums".

This is the same circular argument made over and over. It's like trying to explain G bugles and WHY the key of G was used..and they will concur valve=no bugles=Bb was always valid (of course they won;t talk about the overtone series..that would be science and reality). But hey, right now there is no difference between Drum Corps and a good Brass Marching Band in everything..oh wait I forgot personal experience..yep theres a qualifier for the difference! :rolleyes:

> So, what about you? If you were alive back in the 1930's would you have been for or against adding non drum instruments (colors) such as the Bells because even though bells are percussion instruments, they are not "drums".

To me if it is included in the title it must be used. A Drum & Bugle Corps without "drums" would be a misnomer; and a Drum & Bugle Corps without "bugles" would also be a misnomer (this opens up the Bb debate, and to me once a valve was added to the no-valve G it began the ever changing definition of a "bugle", but I digress). So, this means that to me as long as drums and bugles are used, the additional instrumentation allowed in a Drum & Bugle Corps can be different for DCI, DCA, SDCA, or the new DCNA. Now if you feel it necessary to attempt to box me in let me save you the trouble: Does a marching band use drums, yes. Does a marching band use bugles; yes (if Bb brass are considered bugles). So if BOA chose to redefine their units as Drum & Bugle Corps and call their organization DCOA instead of BOA I would not have a technical issue with that other than seeing a slight misrepresentation of the historical path in which they took to lay claim to the name.

Edited by Stu

(of course they won;t talk about the overtone series..that would be science and reality).

Are you talking about the overtone differences between G and Bb or the overtone differences between Calf Skin Heads, Mylar Heads, and Kevlar Heads? If it is about overtones and how they change the sound of a Drum And Bugle corps you cannot limit it to just "bugle" because the other half of the title is "drum"; and a Kevlar Head has just as much overtone color difference from a Mylar Head as a Bb horn has over a G horn.

This is the same circular argument made over and over. It's like trying to explain G bugles and WHY the key of G was used..and they will concur valve=no bugles=Bb was always valid (of course they won;t talk about the overtone series..that would be science and reality). But hey, right now there is no difference between Drum Corps and a good Brass Marching Band in everything..oh wait I forgot personal experience..yep theres a qualifier for the difference! :rolleyes:

The experience isn't the difference. If you go by that logic, no two bands would be the same. The experience you get from each group is different. Different bands practice and travel differently.

Sorry... I see no circular argument here. One doesn't need to go over the overtone series to know that woodwind sounds != brass sounds. Acoustically produced sounds != Non-acoustically produced sounds.

Adding specific instruments do not dramatically change the fundamental sound of a group, while adding other instruments DO mask and change the fundamental sound of those groups.

Regarding personal experience... So the drum corps experience is like the marine corps experience?

I'm not sure where you stand here, so I'm not sure what to react to. You know, this being on the internet and all... Sarcasm doesn't always come through, even with all the emoticons. :tongue:

Edited by jjeffeory

Man, the definition game is stupid. I wanna hear whatever instrumentation a) can brand itself as unique and distinct and with a cohesive direction and b) sounds the most beautiful.

Man, the definition game is stupid. I wanna hear whatever instrumentation a) can brand itself as unique and distinct and with a cohesive direction and b) sounds the most beautiful.

Absolutely agreed. I don't care what it's called, I care what it is...

Honestly, drum corps shows should only be in really nice college stadiums. I bet they are way cheaper to rent out than professional ones. I mean, I guess the only reason DCI goes to the pro stadiums (with domes) is because of the possibility of rained out shows... and we all know about last year's Minneapolis rain out.... what a shame. (That makes me think that if your going to use a pro stadium without a roof then you should just use a really nice college stadium for a cheaper cost I think...)

rained out shows vs. disgruntled fans + higher costs *that's a dilemma

*I fully regret opening this can of worms... :shutup:

I wont touch the dome part :tongue:

however if my sources are true, if attendance goes down, DCI's costs go down, so while they were smart building that into the contract, it's also not good, because attendance going down doesn't help the bottom line.