DCA's Lack of Competitive Parity - Food for Thought

Here's where the discussion gets fun -- what would the leadership of Major League Baseball do if the Yankees won the next 23 World Series in a row?

Interesting business issue, no?

Here's where the discussion gets fun -- what would the leadership of Major League Baseball do if the Yankees won the next 23 World Series in a row?

Given that there's a draft system in place in pro sports that DOES have a parity factor built in, all MLB COULD do would be to tell the other teams to get better. Not MLB's fault that they can't top NY when they're given first pick of top draft prospects.

Even the salary cap hasn't done a lot to keep someone with money from buying top talent (although that doesn't always mean winning the title)

I don't know about the hypothetical thing about the Yankess above...

But what did happen is that a few managers moved their teams to California, and the Seattle Pilots, Houston Astros, Texas Rangers, Montreal Expos, etc..in time developed so that the league expanded. In time, this created other champions outside the northeast, and more importantly, divisions for those teams. It also gave other cities in the country a ball team to call their own, threrby creating fans in those cities....This, so people no longer had to root for a team 3000 miles away, and they could say, "I was from Hartford..But I live in Los Angeles now and I am an Angels fan".

When this happened, baseball got a lot more competitive- free agency happened, and the faces of the game changed....Change. Key word.

Maybe this comparison is a bit skewed. But I participate in a corps that is less than 10 years old, and has made Finals several times. Also, the corps north of me, Renegades, have been Finalist every year and climbed into the Top 8 in a few of those years. The fact that we in California could be this good this fast, and beat much more established corps, says a lot to us creating parody and being a force at Finals every year. I suppose Alliance and a few other corps that are new, have the same feeling.

This is where I see some hope that things will change. I see some hope that other corps outside the I-95 corridor are going to creep in and surprise...just as Kidgrove did this year.

Sure, we have a lot of hurdles to climb because our scoring stops in July, or the ability for us be seen by the DCA faithful is almost nil. But those things will change at some point.

I see corps in the South getting their own shows and maybe a regional soon....Maybe we will get that Western Regional soon? I don't know. But ts encouraging that I am seeing more corps develop West of the Appalachains or the Mississippi- perhaps they would be interested in an August show, so we all come into Prelims very strong, and create that parody at the top.

We just gotta keep on keeping on dude.

Edited by Dmlkmen

what would the leadership of Major League Baseball do if the Yankees won the next 23 World Series in a row?

I don't know about the MLB leadership... but personally, I would have long since moved to Germany and become a soccer fan. :tongue:

IT will soon change there is this purple corps from the south that is making noise and it will not be long before there is a new champion mark my words

IT will soon change there is this purple corps from the south that is making noise and it will not be long before there is a new champion mark my words

:w00t: Cant wait

Let me ask a hypothetical follow-up question --

Let's say, for sake of argument, the Reading Buccaneers are good and stable enough so they can go without losing a single show in DCA for the next 35 years.

Now, if in this hypothetical scenario, the fan attendance of DCA Finals and other shows keep dropping as those years go by due to the perceived lack of competitition in a DCA event, at what point "must" DCA do something about it to save the circuit? Or are we all ethically obligated by principles of fairness to sit back and watch it continue to erode? Please understand, I am not bashing the Buccaneers, they deserve and earned every bit of success they have.

But in terms of the business development of a drum corps circuit (or any sport whatsoever), isn't a monopoly bad for everyone in the long term, including the monopolist?

honestly...the shows I usually go to have not seen attendance drop. if they have if anything it was the economy. I'd imagine at finals this year the economy and the eather had an effect.

if anything, I see it getting some new faces invested in things because of the chase to finally get a new champion.

maybe the new sheets are part of the answer. My hunch is at least at first, unless Bucs win again.

the key is recapturing some lost fans, and the same champ probably has less to do with it than show design does. the economy slowly getting better helps. And, this may offend some people, but having finals in the same place since 2006 has turned a few people off too.

DCA needs to get younger in the stands as well. with the DCA fanbase growing older, we are going to losemore than a few over time....because God dictates that result.

rejoice. because the Yankees bring in money and ratings and merchandise sales

So what the OP is saying, is that we should reward corps that don't perform better than the Bucs just for the sake of saying we have a different champion...THAT would turn off more fans than seeing the Bucs win every year, IMHO. The Bucs have won their titles because they were the best in each respective year. If you don't like it, work at being better and beat them on the field. It's that simple. FWIW, I thought this past season could have seen the streak come to an end...MBI really "brought it" and it wouldn't have been a total shock if they had emerged victorious. The surest way to kill your fan base is to see that the best performing corps doesn't win...in which case they're reduced to performing in exhibition. This concept would also have a negative effect on whatever corps DID win if you put this in place...you would have members that would decide there was no compelling reason to march when you knew from the start that you were reduced to performing in exhibition. They might just decide not to march ANYWHERE that season...and that hurts the corps AND the activity as a whole. If they wanted to march in a non-competitive environment, there are plenty of alumni corps that would afford them the opportunity. Besides, how would YOU feel if you were a member of a corps that won the title, but you KNEW that the only reason you won was because the better corps wasn't allowed to win? To me as a MM, that would lessen the meaning of that championship-because we weren't truly the best. If you don't want the Bucs to win, bring a better corps.

• Like 1

I agree with that 100%. The best corps wins, period. I've experienced first hand what I perceived to be skewed scoring, and it did demoralize me to the point where I stopped marching for a time. You work very hard all year, you deserve a fair score. The Bucs are great, even when they didn't win. Change is inevitable. Several corps are capable of beating them and are working hard to do it. Enjoy the show.

Edited by Mike_B