1980 vs 2010

Did top 12 DCI drum and bugle corps march cleaner in 1980 , or in 2010. This is not a discussion about better or more creative, but rather cleaner.

Has abandoning the tick system resulted in corps marching sloppy?

• Like 3

AND it starts again... :thumbdown:

Edited by SFZFAN
  • Like 1

IMO I don't even think it's close that corps march way better today than 1980. Not only are the physical demands much higher, (strides getting upwards of 3 to 5 and tempos over 220 is not that uncommon anymore) but there is definitely a more unified look to the corps proper now. Corps stand better and MOVE better (there is a difference between marching and moving). Looking at videos from the early 80's there are a wide range of ways the members look when moving. The posture while standing still is just awful. Members now are taught lots of dance to help with moving in a fluid manner. There are still some difference from person to person nowadays, but it's a lot smaller of a range.

I'm really not trying to bash older corps. I love older shows. The drum corps activity has just evolved to a more scientific way of thinking especially in the visual performance caption. It's taken 30 years of evolution for the instructors themselves to research and develop the visual programs that exist today. I'm not saying each era is better or worse. They are what they are and I believe it should be left at that.

Edited by euphplayer07
  • Like 5

Drumcorps marched cleaner in 1980. Watch the videos, it is not even close. The mentality that what worked in 1980 does not work anymore is ignorant.

I'd admit I wasn't around in 1980 watching drum corps. But I've seen the videos...

It seems to be that the corps in 1980's did a great job marking time during their shows, and their 8to5 or 16to5 steps were well done and consistent. The forms were "neat", abut the transitions were sometimes little sloppy.

Honestly, this thread is sorta pointless, I thought DCP was over discussions like this... :thumbdown:

Edited by charlie1223
  • Like 1

Drumcorps marched cleaner in 1980. Watch the videos, it is not even close. The mentality that what worked in 1980 does not work anymore is ignorant.

I agree. Corps marched MUCH cleaner in 1980. Dress, coverage, distance, feet, intervals, proper positioning of instrument, fingers on instrument when not in use, positioning of instrument when playing and when not in use, etc.

I do sympathize with modern marchers as it's hard to maintain uniformity in movement when the velocity of the drill is much faster today, and where running into formation oftentimes is required. I've seen lots of what we used to call " drifting " in today's marching as well, and the numbers of marchers actually out of step at some intervals in the performance, even in today's top Corps, is somewhat of an eye opener as well. That said, much of it can be attributed perhaps to the much more difficult visual requirements of today's marchers in Corps.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

2010 is cleaner and more complex then anything you could have dreamed of marching in 1980.

I see band that can only rehearse 8 hour a week march cleaner, more complicated drill then MANY 1980's corps.

Guess at 20 years the rose tint is getting pretty dark, eh?

• Like 5