1980 vs 2010

I always find it funny when people try to compare DCI today to 20, 30 or 40 years ago. Personally, I'll take the music of that era over the marching of today in a second.

I'm sure those of us that were part of a corp that won the M&M titles remember what it took to win them. It wasn't easy but it was one of the best times of our lives. I doubt it's any different for todays kids in the fast paced shows of today. The best part, we're not competing with you either, call it wisdom.

We were proud then to be a member of a DCI corp, just as you should be proud of participating in a corp today.

Let's move along!!!

• Like 3

Sloppy's the wrong word, but it's not as clean, IMO. Feet, legs, and other body positions were cleaner in 1980.

Was marching better in 1980 than in 2010?

No, IMO. It was different. They were trained to have cleaner feet. Today, they're trained to move better in a different way. Far better dance skills for example. Far better movement at speed.

Neither 1980 marchers or 2010 marchers could achieve what the other cohort achieves in nine short months of training. It takes years.

I don't know about that first part.... I've seen some nasty posture and stuff in the old videos, and if you really, really watch the feet, you'll see tons of inconsistency. if you look at the height of the foot during the high mark times, it will vary wildly from person to person, even at the beginning of the show and at slower tempos.... And hey, I know for a fact that some corps still work on the old school technique.... Just mention 101s to anyone who ever passed through SCV, and see how they feel about high mark times.... :tongue::shutup:

Has abandoning the tick system resulted in corps marching sloppy?

YES.

I admire you for opening this can of worms--I'd advise you to now duck and cover! :laughing:

I always find it funny when people try to compare DCI today to 20, 30 or 40 years ago. Personally, I'll take the music of that era over the marching of today in a second.

I'm sure those of us that were part of a corp that won the M&M titles remember what it took to win them. It wasn't easy but it was one of the best times of our lives. I doubt it's any different for todays kids in the fast paced shows of today. The best part, we're not competing with you either, call it wisdom.

We were proud then to be a member of a DCI corp, just as you should be proud of participating in a corp today.

Let's move along!!!

I hear you in that if you marched Drum Corps in ANY era, you need not feel that any era was better... or worse... than any other. If you're like most, the era you marched was the " best era " ,and anyone who says that would be of course be correct. That's because it's personal. Most of us get that.

But comparing Corps, and eras is no different than comparing Joe Montana with Tom Brady, or comparing Michael Jordan with Lebron James, or Kobe Bryant with Magic Johnson, or Albert Puljols with Hank Aaron or Ken Griffey, Jr. with Willy Mays, or Bobby Orr with Nicklas Lidstrom etc. and so forth. Comparing something in the past with something recent is what people do. That will continue. And they need not feel compelled to " move along " when the urge to " compare " takes hold, imo.

Edited by BRASSO

Your post while, partially true, misses the point. The comparisons ended when some of the folks on here decided to put down one vs the other.

Fixed.

Secondly: How else does a vs. match work? You compliment both sides? lol

Your post while partially true misses the point, the comparisons ended when some of the folks on hear decided to put down one vs the other.

True, but this happens in just about all comparisons that fans make in sports, (or in just about anything else that is compared from the past with the present.) This is nothing new. When( for example ) someone thinks something from the present is better than something from the past, it is inevitable that that they " put down " the past to make their case. Conversely, when someone thinks something from the past is better than something from the present, they likewise tend to engage in a " put down " of the present in their explanation remarks as to the why.

Edited by BRASSO

I hear you in that if you marched Drum Corps in ANY era, you need not feel that any era was better... or worse... than any other. If you're like most, the era you marched was the " best era " ,and anyone who says that would be of course be correct. That's because it's personal. Most of us get that.

But comparing Corps, and eras is no different than comparing Joe Montana with Tom Brady, or comparing Michael Jordan with Lebron James, or Kobe Bryant with Magic Johnson, or Albert Puljols with Hank Aaron or Ken Griffey, Jr. with Willy Mays, or Bobby Orr with Nicklas Lidstrom etc. and so forth. Comparing something in the past with something recent is what people do. That will continue. And they need not feel compelled to " move along " when the urge to " compare " takes hold, imo.

Absolutely no criticisms from either of these years, but one comparison between 1980 and 2010 is the difference in uniform (design) that either made the feet more visible or helped to hide them.

In 1980, every corps (that I can think of) had either white shoes/spats against dark pants or contrasting stripe(s) down the side of the pants leg.

In 2010, only two corps come to mind that had a stripe incorporated into their uniform and that was The Cadets and Blue Devils and BD's was a stripe down the front of the one leg, but it still offered a contrast and made that (one) leg more visible from a distance.

1980 and 2010 SCV offer the best examples of this and rumor had it that Madison almost went with spats this past year.

Absolutely no criticisms from either of these years, but one comparison between 1980 and 2010 is the difference in uniform (design) that either made the feet more visible or helped to hide them.

In 1980, every corps (that I can think of) had either white shoes/spats against dark pants or contrasting stripe(s) down the side of the pants leg.

In 2010, only two corps come to mind that had a stripe incorporated into their uniform and that was The Cadets and Blue Devils and BD's was a stripe down the front of the one leg, but it still offered a contrast and made that (one) leg more visible from a distance.

1980 and 2010 SCV offer the best examples of this and rumor had it that Madison almost went with spats this past year.

Good point, imo.

Has abandoning the tick system resulted in corps marching sloppy?

YES.

I admire you for opening this can of worms--I'd advise you to now duck and cover! :laughing:

I'm surprised that out of 59 posts, only one really addresses the OP's question. I was still marching when the transition from the tick system occurred, and I remember numerous discussions on this same subject. There was speculation that by removing the tick system, it would open the door for Corps to try to execute more difficult drill at higher tempos. The advantage being it would help with GE without being penalized for being a bit dirty, thus resulting in a higher overall score. So, yes, I for one do believe that removing the tick system has allowed for Drum Corps to march a dirtier drill.

• Like 1