What would get you going to more shows and or finals?

What would get you going to more shows and or finals?  

138 members have voted

1. 1. What would get you going to more shows and or finals?

• Lower Ticket Prices
    • Better Economy,gas prices and income
    • Less or no electronics,prerecorded music and narration
    • Location of shows and finals
    • I am attending more shows than ever and everything is perfect with DCI and I would not change a thing.
    • DCI is dead to me and I will never come back
    • Other. Please explain

For me and many of the other "Older and Wiser" out there, it's all about the music. I will not be back in the stands until we start hearing recognizable music/songs again from the majority of the Corps. Even with all the changes that I don't care for, I can live with it all, but I can't live with all the god awful unrecognizable musical selections..................

DCI sold about 14,000 tickets to Finals in 2010

Re:

That is so sad.

In 2006 DCI sold more than that at the Atlanta show, which in 2010 only sold a little over 11,000 tickets.

Does anyone know the attendance for the DCI championships in Birmingham in 1980?

Edited by Howdy

For me and many of the other "Older and Wiser" out there, it's all about the music. I will not be back in the stands until we start hearing recognizable music/songs again from the majority of the Corps. Even with all the changes that I don't care for, I can live with it all, but I can't live with all the god awful unrecognizable musical selections..................

What he said.

For me and many of the other "Older and Wiser" ones out there, it's all about the music. I will not be back in the stands until we start hearing recognizable music/songs again from the majority of the Corps. Even with all the changes that I don't care for, I can live with it all, but I can't live with all the god awful unrecognizable musical selections..................

Which is why the Blue Knights are going to be a hit this year! (If you know your concert band literature)

I have not logged on in a very long time. A few seasons back, this use to be a daily occurrence. Get the keyboard and electronics off the field. This is what would get me back. Rely on the musicianship and performance ability of your horn line for your impact moments instead of hiding behind a volume knob. No voice within the horn line should ever be synthesized, replaced nor should any dynamics be enhanced. This goes for all the top twelve. I don't invest a week of vacation and blow a ton of cash just to hear 3 or 4 out of the top twelve that do not hide behind this atrocity. Thanks for asking though. DCI does not care for my opinion and I do not see it doing so anytime soon.

George Hopkins is posting on Facebook that he is in a DCI meeting discussing DCI Attendance trends and his summery is that it is not good. That is a direct quote.

So what is it going to take to get you back into the stands?

Vote and discuss.

ADDED:I realize this poll is not perfect and there might be other categories or questions that could be polled on but this probably will get us in the right direction.

Maybe even someone with DCI might see this and go hmmmmmmmmmmm.

Why is everyone saying that the music is so pathetic? I LOVED Cavalier's, Crown's, Phantom's, Bluecoats, Blue Knights, Madison's, and Trooper's music. Granted, there were some abstract selections done by some corps, but there was plenty of crowd pleasing music, why are you guys saying that so many corps are doing just weird, vague selections? I just dont see it.

• Like 1

I sympathize with people who don't like dissonant shows like Blue Coats or BD

I sympathize with people who hate chopped up arrangements of recognizable music/appealing music

I sympathize with people who want more "melody" in drum corps.

I sympathize with people who want to hear drum corps classics.

I do not sympathize with people who say they only want to hear recognizable music. NOT AT ALL. Why? Because what's "recognizable" is entirely subjective! Those people may have a small musical vocabulary and don't have the means to appreciate a number of beautiful, amazing works; not just the handful or so that they think are "recognizable" to them. They are closed minded to hearing NEW favorites and NEW beautiful crowd pleasing arrangements. A show is not BAD just because you don't recognize the melody or music. Period. If your disgruntled because you don't recognize the music on the field then drum corps is just not the medium for you. Good luck ever finding a something new that you'd like.

A suggestion, if a corps announces their 2011 repertoire and you don't recognize it, familiarize yourself with the source music! Don't go around nagging "ugh... Unfamiliar music!!"

Edited by charlie1223

A suggestion, if a corps announces their 2011 repertoire and you don't recognize it, familiarize yourself with the source music.

. . .for some people, the first exposure they get to drum corps reps is in the program book that night. Drum corps isn't a night at the opera, nor is it anything that should require previous exposure to "the original" (which is almost always invariably better, anyway) to glean familiarity from.

To say that we need to study up somehow before a show puts the onus of "responsibility" on exactly the wrong set of people: your job as a performer (of any kind) is to sell me on what you're doing, not the other way around. I'm not there as the audience to sell myself on how great you are.

. . .for some people, the first exposure they get to drum corps reps is in the program book that night. Drum corps isn't a night at the opera, nor is it anything that should require previous exposure to "the original" (which is almost always invariably better, anyway) to glean familiarity from.

To say that we need to study up somehow before a show puts the onus of "responsibility" on exactly the wrong set of people: your job as a performer (of any kind) is to sell me on what you're doing, not the other way around. I'm not there as the audience to sell myself on how great you are.

Yea I agree with this. No one wants to study a show before seeing it. They just want to see it an enjoy it. BUT watching football is more fun when you know hot to play the game, know a bit about the teams playing, the players involved, the stakes, etc. same with any sport.

before you go to a rock concert, you hear the band's music first and decide if you like it or not, get familiar with it first. Maybe learn the lyrics so you can sing along before you go to the concert. No one just goes to ANY old rock concert expecting that the random band performing will have music that they like.

IF your complaining that drum corps doesn't do enough "recognizable music" that's says something more about the kind of music your exposed to than it does about the kind of music drum corps put out.

Corps should release audio from their show every month. Maybe 20 seconds or 30 seconds or different parts, Maybe the same part played 3 times in the same clip. Get people familiar with the product without dishing out all the goods.

Edited by charlie1223

I chose other. Currently I prefer to shell out the money to see quarters at the theater and semis live, since those performances are finalized. I know there are some early season shows in my area. I don't go to them since there are corps that don't even have a proper ending to their show (no cliffhangers). I'm not putting forth my time and money for an incomplete product. Incomplete doesn't mean dirty to me. I expect dirt in those early shows, so it's not an issue. I also know that changes will take place throughout the season and to be honest I like seeing on youtube how a show develops over the season.

Edited by mr.mello