How much do fans of any particular corps influence your feelings on th

43 members have voted

1. 1. How much do fans of any particular corps influence your feelings on that corps?

• A lot - Apples and trees. They are pretty much a direct reflection of the corps
    • 50/50 - Takes all kinds
    • Not so much - I'm a Jedi. I don't let outside influences effect my feelings
    • Other - Please explain

So the Superbowl lineup is set, and I've found myself pulling for Green Bay even though I'm from PA. Main reason being is not any animosity towards the Steelers as a team, but more in the hopes to stick it to Steeler's fans who, at least in my circle of friends, seem a bit too cocky.

So I figured, since it's the off season and I'm bored, to apply that same reasoning to drum corps.

Have at it! And remember, fan influence can be a positive thing as well!!

You have to understand that of the tens of friends I have, only 1 of them actually knows and likes drum corps, and he likes the same corps I do. The only other time I get to even talk to fans is at shows, of which I only am able to go to one or two per year, and when they cheer for a corps and express their love for what a corps does it affects me more on liking that corps, rather than turning me away.

That being said, there are still corps that I do not care for much, but it has nothing to do with it's fans, as much as the programs they put out.

Belgian Waffles

But seriously, I basically like all drum corps. I don't always like everything on the field but I don't let other fans influence my decisions at all.

Edited by SFZFAN

if I like a corps, I like a corps. hell, i like some corps and dislike their directors :tongue:

Fans of a corps have no impact on my view of that corps..it just depends on their show in a given year.

for much of the early 2000's Crown was my favorite. The past few years not so much. I was never a huge Coats fan, but last year they were my favorite corps of all. The corps I seem to like just about every year is the Blue Knights. I bounce around with The Cadets too...2005 and 2007 Cadets were both two of my favorites in those years....2004 and 2008 not so much.

So the Superbowl lineup is set, and I've found myself pulling for Green Bay even though I'm from PA. Main reason being is not any animosity towards the Steelers as a team, but more in the hopes to stick it to Steeler's fans who, at least in my circle of friends, seem a bit too cocky.

So I figured, since it's the off season and I'm bored, to apply that same reasoning to drum corps.

Have at it! And remember, fan influence can be a positive thing as well!!

When I watching a Corps in performance, the last thing on my mind is...." their fans ". First of all, I don't know who their " fans " are other than their family, friends, relatives, alumni.... and they're mostly from all corners of the Globe these days anyway, and might even some speak a foreign language. And if they do, for all I know they're cursing me out, but if they're smiling when they do, I might even smile back and wave. So what do I know... or care.

Lots of Jedi on DCP.

Edited by kaseyW

Not at all. I don't care where the corps is ranked, where they're from, or what their history is. If they entertain me, I don't care who likes them or who doesn't. I've been that way all my life. It's like The Beatles. I realize they were HUGE in the music scene and millions bought their music. But that didn't matter at all to me. The Beatles never did much for me at all. I thought they were average at best, regardless of how many people around the world liked them. I never figured out what aspect of the Beatles I was supposed to be so terribly impressed with. And don't try to convince me, because it won't happen. I think for myself. What I like is not dictated by others no matter how many "others" there are.

Let me put it this way. Other fans don't change my view in any profound way. HOWEVER, obnoxious behavior in the stands has occassionally prompted in me moments of doubt and even ill will.

My very first DCI finals in 1990 was marred (momentarily) by a line of Star of Indiana nuts two rows in front of us who screamed and leaped to their feet for every key moment an otherwise excellent show. The problem was these fans were anticipating the impact points. They hit their crescendos BEFORE Star did. It was so obnoxious I found myself carrying around some resentment for the corps for a while. I might have been the only one in 1990 who didn't give a hoot about the new unis or good busses, etc. All I cared about was moronic fans who couldn't come in on time!

I'll admit that I sometimes don't enjoy the alumni and senior corps performances at semis as much I might like because of the fans nearby. Some of the stupid hyperbole I've heard just makes me shake my head (I actually just shook my head while typing remembering one nut declare how this senior/alumni corps' performance would "Revolutionize drum corps." Oy.).

There are others. But I fear awakening the borg and diverting the thread, so I'll leave it at that (for now).

HH

Edited by glory

Corps have personalities. Corps staffs have different philosophies on competition and the attitude you carry on to the field and off. Some corps have philosophies I agree more with then others, but every corps can have a Dbag in it. You hope they're just rookies and they're excited to compete, but some corps tend to have more of these types then others.