Pioneer

Help me out here. Is Pioneer not a non-profit orginazation with a board of directors that governs the operations of the corps? Roman is executive director but to whom does he answer? The board of directors have the authority to choose a different executive director don't they? Does Roman somehow "own" Pioneer? Does he draw a salary or income from Pioneer and who determins what that amount is? I don't understand the organization of Pioneer. So, my question is, if Roman is answerable to the board of directors, are they appointed, elected, or what? Are they able to vote to make the necessary changes or are they only a board on paper only? If this is a private venture of Roman Blenski then as long as the money keeps flowing in, he isn't likly to make any changes. Doesn't need to. And those people that come along and point out Pioneers flaws are actually pointing out flaws in Roman Blenski, so they are let go. He may mean well, have good intentions but isn't the money the real motivation or reason, just carefully disguised? He isn't going to jeopardize his livelyhood, if that is the case. As long as capital assets are there, fees are coming in through wc standing and appearances, etc., then all is good. I can see a scenario where this might be the case. The blame for this is not to be pointed at Roman, instead, it should be pointed at DCI for being so nieve as to what it happening and not making Pioneer accountable for thier quality. I don't know for sure, so can anyone tell me if this might be the case?

I'm very familiar with another non-profit arts education org. here in Milwaukee. They have a similar sized budget. Own their own property and ironically enough are in the shadow of St. Patrick's church, Pioneer's original home. Walker's Point Center for the Arts. I was comparing web-sites in regards to what information they include concerning their respective BODs. Absolutely no comparison.

I will never criticize the marching members of Pioneer on this forum but will not hesitate to take their BOD to task. There are well established and free resources here in Milwaukee to help nurture non-profit groups and do work shops with their BODs. Pioneer needs to reach out and take advantage of these resources and bring themselves into the 21st century in regards to a well functioning BOD who will lead them to success within the World Class Drum Corps arena.

edit

Pioneer and WPCA do not have a similar budget. As per guidestar.org Pioneer 2008 revenue was $377,000, WPCA revenue 2008 was $184,000. I stand corrected.

Edited by warsawstory

Maybe it's time for another organization to begin talking about organizing a corps in the Milwaukee area. Rattle the "tree" of Pioneer's administration some. It's my understanding that Pioneer does not have the best repore with the public school system in Milwaukee or surrounding communities for that matter and even less so with the City of Milwaukee. If another group could take up that challenge and approach those entities and institutions with something that would be more supportive of the community, who knows what might happen. Could be that if the Pioneer administration were made to feel in danger of losing thier "golden calf" they might make the changes that are necessary to have a competitive drum corps. As it is now they are attracting a few loyal members, accepting international members from God knows where, maybe just to fill spots, we will never know, and a few newbies to drum corps that will move on after they either make another corps or are so disappointed with thier experience, they quit in mid season. Although this may have some merit, it does not make for good drum corps or image. The members that do march, deserve better than what they are getting. Why is staff let go so easily? Ego or economics? I know that if you do not let your feelings be heard, nothing will change. I/you/we are the ones that buy the tickets and when a corps is allowed to flounder like Pioneer has year after year after year, who is to blame? Not the members, they are the ones out there sweating, bleeding, crying and working thier ##### off to provide the best they can. Not the staff that has been dismissed. They tried but were chastised for thier efforts. Not even the current staff. They can only do what they are allowed to do. The finger points only one direction and that is at the BOD and the Executive director. Shame on you. Look at your alumni response and activities. Other corps have alumni corps to celebrate landmark years and occassions. At best, you are only able to put together a picnic for your 50th year celebration? All this is said in a spirit to make things better for Pioneer. The corps has been around too long and has too much of a history to allow to continue along this road. Let your opinions be heard. Mr Blenski will hear you but if it doesn't sink in, then the corps will die.

Throw your support toward the Racine Scouts! They could use it and would definately appreciate it.

• Like 2

Maybe it's time for another organization to begin talking about organizing a corps in the Milwaukee area. Rattle the "tree" of Pioneer's administration some. It's my understanding that Pioneer does not have the best repore with the public school system in Milwaukee or surrounding communities for that matter and even less so with the City of Milwaukee. If another group could take up that challenge and approach those entities and institutions with something that would be more supportive of the community, who knows what might happen. Could be that if the Pioneer administration were made to feel in danger of losing thier "golden calf" they might make the changes that are necessary to have a competitive drum corps. As it is now they are attracting a few loyal members, accepting international members from God knows where, maybe just to fill spots, we will never know, and a few newbies to drum corps that will move on after they either make another corps or are so disappointed with thier experience, they quit in mid season. Although this may have some merit, it does not make for good drum corps or image. The members that do march, deserve better than what they are getting. Why is staff let go so easily? Ego or economics? I know that if you do not let your feelings be heard, nothing will change. I/you/we are the ones that buy the tickets and when a corps is allowed to flounder like Pioneer has year after year after year, who is to blame? Not the members, they are the ones out there sweating, bleeding, crying and working thier ##### off to provide the best they can. Not the staff that has been dismissed. They tried but were chastised for thier efforts. Not even the current staff. They can only do what they are allowed to do. The finger points only one direction and that is at the BOD and the Executive director. Shame on you. Look at your alumni response and activities. Other corps have alumni corps to celebrate landmark years and occassions. At best, you are only able to put together a picnic for your 50th year celebration? All this is said in a spirit to make things better for Pioneer. The corps has been around too long and has too much of a history to allow to continue along this road. Let your opinions be heard. Mr Blenski will hear you but if it doesn't sink in, then the corps will die.

Throw your support toward the Racine Scouts! They could use it and would definately appreciate it.

Lots of EMOTION in this post!

Complete agree with you. Thanks for posting.

Guys... I'm not a moderator here, but I would like to ask everyone to remain on topic and refrain from anything that might resemble a personal attack or so forth. I see this thread quickly qoing the way of the previous "Pioneer - What Now?" thread... And I for one would like to see this thread stay open and unlocked!

Thanks!

Don't get all worked up. Let people vent, it's OK! I KNOW you want to.

Frikin have fun ...PIONEER!

I still think Roman jr. should have an afro, tight curls. haha!

Edited by thirdcoast

Don't get all worked up. Let people vent, it's OK!

Heard you the first time :tongue: I was more concerned that individuals would begin attacking other certain individuals over things that would extend past the realm of Pioneer. That off topic banter would then get the thread closed. Everything Pioneer is fair game! Bring it on!

Heard you the first time :tongue: I was more concerned that individuals would begin attacking other certain individuals over things that would extend past the realm of Pioneer. That off topic banter would then get the thread closed. Everything Pioneer is fair game! Bring it on!

My wife says the wet jerry curl look would even be a better look on jr. Love it!

Adam Hill Drum lines rock!

To Pioneer Webmaster: You lighten up. Sometimes when something is mentioned that hits to close to home, the hackels get up. Instead look upon it as constructive criticism or questioning obvious practices that makes Pioneer admin answer too. After all, for $2000.00+ to participate, shouldn't the members and parents have the best experience possible? Can you honestly say that is happeninjg? This thread only shows that there are people that are concerned, care, and wanting Pioneer to do well. It just seems like it is falling on deaf ears. Instead of you complaining about our concerns and questions, why don't you offer constructive suggestions as to how people can help. That might actually get more people on board with your cause. We send money, we volunteer time, we entrust our most precious possession, our children, to Pioneer. Shouldn't we have the right to be concerned?

ALSO, no disrespect meant to our US Marine Corps...but get rid of the goofy hats...this year! They don't fit into a modern corps image.(and your members hate them)

• Like 2

I understand that the schools in Milwaukee are not strong musically. However, there are some pretty good schools in the surrounding area. Is there an attempt to recruit these students? As a teacher, I was offended last year at a rehearsal I attended. I will not go into detain on this forum about what I witnessed. I do wish Pioneer would grow and be a healthy corps. We need a corps like Pioneer to succeed.