Pioneer

I don't know if I'll get in trouble for this, but we scored a 53.3 in Fairfield, OH and it just wasn't released because of the rain cancellation. I seriously doubt dci will be concerned that I "leaked" that info. After all, it is our score.

All this rain is killing these competitions in the Midwest. Our run-thru today was "blessed" with a refreshing shower, haha. All the more to hype the members for a good run tonight!

I was wondering why they didn't post the scores of the 3 corps that did perform. they've done that in the past and just listed the rest as 0.00 due to the rainout. I'm curious if you know the scores for Troop and Crossmen from Fairfield. they were the other two that got to perform right?

Honestly you really don't sound like you're concerned, but maybe bitter because they didn't ask you to come back as a staff member? Idly pointing out their faults isn't helping anyone.

Tim this just clearly is not the case. I am not bitter. I like Pioneer. I appreciate the chance that Roman and Donny Allen gave me to teach brass there in 08.

I suffer from severe muscular dystrophy, chronic pain and chronic fatigue syndrome. I am not well enough to teach any drum corps this summer. For the last two years I have not even been well enough to teach local high school marching bands anymore. I have been asked to play and or to teach drumcorps since 08 , I am just not well enough to be able to anymore. Although my heart says yes, the rest of my body just can't cooperate. Slowly my health is declining, as I am able to do less and less. Even my ministry solo trumpet concerts and or performances are becoming rare.

I understand that some people might take my honesty as not being concerned , but I am truly concerned on so many levels.

Edited by Howdy
  • Like 2

To be honest, I think this might be the year that the bottom finally falls out from Pioneer. Something, if anything, has got to give with that corps to give it a jolt into reality. A. They will become a senior corps, B. They will drop to open class (which will eventually kill them off), C. Become a parade corps, D. Roman finally loosens the reigns and lets the corps mature and thrive in the century we live in.

I, like a lot of other folks, are probably hoping for option D.

Here are some great numbers for Pioneer to make it in World Class, if they want to grow, expand, and thrive:

50 horns (8 contras)

7 snares, 4 tenors, 5 basses (get rid of those #### cymbals!)

10 pit

18 guard

Yes, after all these decades, we get that Pioneer is Irish. Keep the shamrocks; but change the music and don't be so conservative with the show design and guard. If they want to make it in world class, they have to prove it. Right now, it's not happening. There were a lot of things with my former corps that were bitter to swallow, at first; but now they are sitting in the middle of the top 12 and gradually pushing thier way back up to the top.

I think a lot of folks would welcome a fresh and new Pioneer.

Edited by shortn'sour
  • Like 6

Can't agree with you about the cymbals. Pioneer has one of the best cymbal lines in DCI.

A is not going to happen.

B is a very good posibility. Many wonder if with 16-20 horns if DCI will require Pioneer to drop onto Open class next year.

C is not going to happen.

D it would be wise for Roman to hand over the competitive side of Pioneer to Roman Jr.

Pioneer needs to lose the hats, go back to the ausie hats, stop playing Irish music in the show (save Gary Owen for playing off the field), allow men in the guard.

Pio has the kind of #'s you are talking about last summer. In my opinion not having their equipment (logistical) maintained properly held Pio back last year.

Edited by Howdy
  • Like 1

Howdy, Mikey!

I've known Charlie since he got back from flying scout helicopters in Vietnam. He was charter member of VK, and spent several years there as our guru of marching. I've been a student of his, on staff with him, and on the BoD of Impulse with him. I'm proud to say I know him, and even prouder to call him friend.

Just to give you an idea, Charlie was on staff with VK in 1972-73, Anaheim Kingsmen in 1974, Hawthorne Muchachos in 1975, back to VK on and off through the 70's, 80's and into the 90's. He was invited to sit on the board and work with the visual staff when Impulse was formed in the fall of 1998. He has also consulted with Jersey Surf, and is involved with a couple of very successful band programs in Southern California. He is especially good at motivating younger and less experienced students to achieve far beyond their own expectations. And he took the picture I use for my DCP avatar.

In other words, he's done a lot more for drum corps than you have, so you might want to cut him some slack.

Garry in Vegas

I really like the fact that Charlie has experience with the 75 Muchachos. This was a corps that (almost) won DCI.

If Roman wants to win DCI wc, he will need to continue to hire staff members who know how to win DCI, and have top 12 DCI experience.

Edited by Howdy
  • Like 1

Help me out here. Is Pioneer not a non-profit orginazation with a board of directors that governs the operations of the corps? Roman is executive director but to whom does he answer? The board of directors have the authority to choose a different executive director don't they? Does Roman somehow "own" Pioneer? Does he draw a salary or income from Pioneer and who determins what that amount is? I don't understand the organization of Pioneer. So, my question is, if Roman is answerable to the board of directors, are they appointed, elected, or what? Are they able to vote to make the necessary changes or are they only a board on paper only? If this is a private venture of Roman Blenski then as long as the money keeps flowing in, he isn't likly to make any changes. Doesn't need to. And those people that come along and point out Pioneers flaws are actually pointing out flaws in Roman Blenski, so they are let go. He may mean well, have good intentions but isn't the money the real motivation or reason, just carefully disguised? He isn't going to jeopardize his livelyhood, if that is the case. As long as capital assets are there, fees are coming in through wc standing and appearances, etc., then all is good. I can see a scenario where this might be the case. The blame for this is not to be pointed at Roman, instead, it should be pointed at DCI for being so nieve as to what it happening and not making Pioneer accountable for thier quality. I don't know for sure, so can anyone tell me if this might be the case?

• Like 1

Help me out here. Is Pioneer not a non-profit orginazation with a board of directors that governs the operations of the corps? Roman is executive director but to whom does he answer? The board of directors have the authority to choose a different executive director don't they? Does Roman somehow "own" Pioneer? Does he draw a salary or income from Pioneer and who determins what that amount is? I don't understand the organization of Pioneer. So, my question is, if Roman is answerable to the board of directors, are they appointed, elected, or what? Are they able to vote to make the necessary changes or are they only a board on paper only? If this is a private venture of Roman Blenski then as long as the money keeps flowing in, he isn't likly to make any changes. Doesn't need to. And those people that come along and point out Pioneers flaws are actually pointing out flaws in Roman Blenski, so they are let go. He may mean well, have good intentions but isn't the money the real motivation or reason, just carefully disguised? He isn't going to jeopardize his livelyhood, if that is the case. As long as capital assets are there, fees are coming in through wc standing and appearances, etc., then all is good. I can see a scenario where this might be the case. The blame for this is not to be pointed at Roman, instead, it should be pointed at DCI for being so nieve as to what it happening and not making Pioneer accountable for thier quality. I don't know for sure, so can anyone tell me if this might be the case?

Hand picked board, maybe? Who knows, it is what it is. Have fun Pioneer!

Aussies and mid 90's uniforms would be a nice starting point for change. (nudge nudge)

1996_photos_3_20090814_1147072018.gif

NUDGE NUDGE

1996_photos_14_20090814_1158150283.gif

nudge

1996_photos_20_20090814_1718662412.gif

Edited by RAPTORScout
  • Like 1

Pioneer has one of the best cymbal lines in DCI.

That doesnt really take much anymore..

• Like 2