Pioneer

Jeez... Why stop at head coverings? Why not just let 'em pick their own musical selections as well? Just make it an 11 minute free-for-all...

(Oh, wait-- licensing might be an issue...)

:tongue:

• Like 1

Jeez... Why stop at head coverings? Why not just let 'em pick their own musical selections as well? Just make it an 11 minute free-for-all...

(Oh, wait-- licensing might be an issue...)

:tongue:

Well, sine you want to go there, who should have the liberty to select the music, the executive director or the program coordinator?

Well, sine you want to go there, who should have the liberty to select the music, the executive director or the program coordinator?

I'd say it's up to the administration of any given corps to decide among themselves. Certainly not the denizens of DCP or the corps membership. (If any of the latter have issues, they always can go elsewhere. But I don't think they have a "right" to dictate terms to those who both run the show and allow them membership in the organization.)

I gave you my answer. Personally I think the best aussies were the ones that we wore in North Star, with the white ostrich feathers. Those were the greatest hats in the history of DCI.

http://www.oocities.org/zekens/photopage.html

Ok, so heres my thought about headwear.

Roman wants something different than most but yet all the naysayers seem to want to go with something other corps use. Why not come up with something different and present it.

I personally Like the hats but I wouldn't use them myself. However, my officers got a hold of of some booklets I was throwing out and now haf the band wants THOSE hats. Little do they realize how they won't go with our 1972 SCV uniforms ( in blue and white ). Now I need to make sure Band Shoppe and McCormicks literature must be disposed of in brown paper packages ( all tied up with string)

To let kids make a choice without understanding the ins and out is just, well, dumb. Even student teachers question why this or that and once it's explained they usually say " Oh I didn't think that deeply about it".

If you want to make fun of Roman for his personal hat, go for it. To sit in the cheap seats and moan and groan without ever walking a mile in his shoes just doesn't make sense to me.

Who should have the liberty of selecting what tunes you record on your CD's ?

So, if the corps executive director dictates the uniforms that the corps music wear, and the music that a corps must play, (however unpopular) etc., and that director is not willing to listen to anyone else even if they could help the corps to WIN, what does that corps really need a program coordinator for anyway?

Oh by the way, the last hs marching band that I taught voted on the music that they played in competition each year. These kids (particularly the ones who march in DCI) are in tune with the activity much more than you think. They are the ones who will mold DCI's future (trust me if they didn't DCI would not be using power amps, etc.).

Edited by Howdy

Who should have the liberty of selecting what tunes you record on your CD's ?

From my perspective, the people who buy them. If I do not give most of my FANS what they want, my cd's will not sell. Thus, as long as I want to sell lots of cd's I must be in tune with the people in the stands.

So, if the corps executive director dictates the uniforms that the corps music wear, and the music that a corps must play, (however unpopular) etc., and that director is not willing to listen to anyone else even if they could help the corps to WIN, what does that corps really need a program coordinator for anyway?

Now your starting to get the picture

From my perspective, the people who buy them. If I do not give most of my FANS what they want, my cd's will not sell. Thus, as long as I want to sell lots of cd's I must be in tune with the people in the stands.

Ok, so how many CD's must a fan of yours buy to have a voice in your next production ?

Keep in mind, Romans not spouting off in public saying no one else knows what they are talking about, he's just doing as he pleases. If you don't agree with his ideas what happens ?

What happens with most private groups when you don't agree with the boss ? 99% of the time, people don't make their presentation in the right manner and end up insulting the higher up.

I watched a video of Pio's show several days ago, and I am very impressed. The corps has a great sound, and as the scores indicate, they are not that far off of their pace in previous years.

Winning a ring in WC may be an awesome thing, but remember, this year, there will be 22 corps that do not win a ring and 20 of them will not medal. Winning a title in WC is not Pioneer's goal for each season, but this does not mean that the corps does not have a goal in mind or is doing nothing to make themselves better. For the last few seasons, Pioneer has been pursuing the goal of a Semifinals performance. I think this is the season that they finally achieve it.

This has been said numerous times on this thread already, but Pioneer provides a very rewarding experience for its members. The corps may not win shows, but it has given numerous students the opportunity to march, and experience a full World Class tour, where they may not have gotten that opportunity elsewhere. Drum Corps is becoming a very, very expensive activity, and for what you get in return, Pioneer's dues are very reasonable. As for the claim that noone from Milwaukee or the local area marches in the corps, that is decidedly FALSE. I marched with at least 4-5 members of the corps who were from Milwaukee or its suburbs, and several more who were from Wisconsin. Throw in the fact that many members come from Chicago, which is less than two hours from Milwaukee, and that Pioneer has made an effort to recruit around Wisconsin and Minnesota. The corps is doing an excellent job recruiting in its backyard.

Finally, the hat. I had no issues with the hat when I marched. I think it is actually unique, and I cannot imagine the corps wearing something different. I liked the look of the previous uniforms with the aussie, but there is nothing wrong with being unique and different.

I love my corps, and even though I likely will not get the chance to march there again, I will support it for the rest of my life, whether it be monetary help, or volunteering. Everyone has their ideas of how Pioneer can be better, but I think the staff and Roman does as well. Better Every Day, and GO PIO!! :thumbup:

• Like 1