Live or Fade Away

Stu

I didn't say they were scholastic marching band directors.

ah but see, the only marching bands around then were colleges or high schools. They were drum corps directors, and back then, there was a HUGE difference between the two.

that's exactly my point...there's been 3 instrument changes in the last 40 years, and 2 of those were in the last 7...amplified voice was 7 years ago...there's always been voice hiding in there...

there's been numerous other changes...that don't directly affect the fan...

Voice was added a quarter century ago. Only one instrument change this century.

I have never said that.

and I've never said all the legacy fans have quit going...

and AMPED voice was added 7 years ago...amplified voice is a new instrument. (and save it...I know yer gonna say it's not...let's agree to disagree on this one)

there a bunch, but not the numbers that used to be. I never said they all left either. I said many left. because many have.

No more than fade away every year as life gets in the way.

sorry Mike, the kids are important, but how many of them are at the Friends level? How many of them are willing to attend several shows a year? How many can even drive far enough to try and see a few shows a year?

Doesn't matter if kids travel show to show when DCI attracts busloads at the various shows around the country. DCI just cannot depend on the people you are referring to. They need a broader audience of local people more than a relative small number traveling all over.

Where I'm at now, an area that had several shows a year to go see now has it's closest DCI show 90 minutes away. How many parents are going to tell 17 year old Johnny he can drive to Allentown?

Well, Allentown draws a huge crowd, so DCI is doing something right there. We have taken busloads to Allentown over the years...driving two hours or so from my area.

Shows I have been to all over attract band members by the busload. That, IMO, is what DCI has to continue to focus on in their primary marketing efforts.

and I've never said all the legacy fans have quit going...

and AMPED voice was added 7 years ago...amplified voice is a new instrument. (and save it...I know yer gonna say it's not...let's agree to disagree on this one)

Well, like amped mallets are not new instruments, either are amped vocals, so yes, we will disagree.

you are assuming that my irritation at electronics is the same as my irritation at woodwinds. it is not. before you start delving into my past, checking bank accounts, and bizarrely wasting all your gray matter on the definitions, convictions, and irritations level that emanates from my skull, perhaps you should use all the effort on why you care?

No assumptions; here are your own words:

Your Belief structure: "I was and am first and foremost a fan, and that came about because of the sound. Add woodwinds/synths (you connected the two as equal in your disdain), and it sounds like marching band. I'm not so much a fan of the marching band sound... the sound that doesn't include non-acoustic voices...or woodwinds... it doesn't matter what sound defines the activity... it's the sound that defines MY activity...when that changes enough, I'll stop listening... if one corps adds woodwinds, all corps will, because it will be one of those sum positive score things, like electronics...so no..I won't be attending." (again you connected ww/elec as equal in your disdain).

Your actions: "I might attend one local show, and possibly quarter finals... it hasn't changed the sound enough, but it's getting awful close... I can go get a hot dog on the corps that don't fit my sound definition...08' Cadets was a prime example..."

You did not stop going when "all" corps' added synths and the sound of "all" corps' became like marching band (your words) and you came up with hot dog justifications to keep attending because some synths did not change the sound enough for you to stop going; ok, I will buy that. However, the issue is that you equated electronics with woodwinds (again your words); so to be consistent, it stands to reason that you would also apply that justification to ww because you equated synths with ww (or) you would stop going now because you equate electronics and woodwinds with equal disdain. Just seeking consistency here.

Edited by Stu

Fans in the 60s left because of the 70s and fans of the 70s for something that changed in the 80s and so on. This is natural as people age and don't agree with change in what they considered " Their " activity. Now with that being said, the problem is replacing those who support or CHOSE to leave. Drum Corps has always catered to and attracted a very small niche of supporters over the years which has dwindled away and NOT just because of instrumentation, design choices or what color flag is being waved . Yes there are those who have left the activity for some of those reasons BUT, I believe the support and post war interest in the activity is and has been dying off.

This is a very hard issue which I do believe directors as well as SOME of the powers to be are working on but may be pulling at straws trying to find an answer. It's very hard for ANYONE to assume to know the answers without being involved in the day to day operations of running a project such as a drum corps But I do think all options could or should be heard to possibly help.

I think the activity as we may have known it will change , there's no doubt about that as to will it survive maybe, maybe not. Will it ever be as we remember it? Probably NOT. Times change, people change, wants and needs of the public differ generation to generation. I say do what you have to and allow this activity to survive, whatever form it takes. I spoke to someone I marched with in the late 70s a few weeks ago and they were so angry at the direction and wanted to see it die rather than change, I risked a longtime friendship by stating how selfish I thought that was. Oh well, everyone has and is entitled to an opinion and you know what they say about opinions.....lol.......JMO :smile:

• Like 2

There will not be an end to drum corps (DCI/DCA). There are way too many supporting fans, and as long as there is marching bands in high school's, there will be drum corps.

• Like 1