Did you?

Thank you; ONStar and GPS!!! And that actually makes the (electronics) addition to DCI more of a connection to the analogy!!! Thanks for making an improvement to my analogy which actually works!!!

Or maybe that the more electronic crap you put out there, the more chance is that it will all explode one day and take out an entire pit.

I remember one or two corps carrying their tymps with one sling. Not healthy!

So what we learn here is that DCI adopted a new instrumentation format at the time... " moveable tymps "... that was a collosal failure, and shortly thereafter, scrapped.

Fast forward to today and it also appears... at this juncture anyway... that many DCI Corps have concluded lately that " narration " during a show performance, particularly while the brass and percussion are playing, was likewise a collosal mistake and won't be thrusted upon fans any time soon in the future. Some changes work. And some don't. The key question here it seems to me then is whether or not the changes implemented work in growing the activity... or not.

If we're looking for " an analogy ", Drum Corps and " change " is like the women who goes for some cosmetic surgery. Sometimes the cosmetic surgery makes her prettier. Sometimes it's a disaster. Sometimes the girl only needed a touch up. And then there is the poor girl that had so many multiple cosmetic surgeries on her face that she becomes unrecognizeable... and she can't go back. In hindsight, she really wasn't all that bad looking... warts, nose, mouth and all. Now, she's lost and a mess. And She doesn't know what to do next.

Edited by BRASSO

So what we learn here is that DCI adopted an instrumentation format... " moveable tymps "... that was a collosal failure, and shortly thereafter, scrapped.

It also appears... at this juncture anyway... that many DCI Corps have concluded that " narration " during a show performance, particularly while the brass and percussion are playing, was likewise a collosal mistake and won't be thrusted upon fans any time soon in the future. Some changes work. And some don't. The key question is do the changes work in growing the activity... or not.

But the point is you don't know if something is going to "actually" work unless you try. I think the same can be said for show designs. People aren't going to continue something that isn't going to work, but you have to try something a million different ways to see if it does work. It's a bit trial and error, but at least we can definitively say that an NPR style show does not work on the football field... :rolleyes:

Edited by charlie1223

But the point is you don't know if something is going to "actually" work unless you try. I think the same can be said for show designs. People aren't going to continue something that isn't going to work, but you have to try something a million different ways to see if it does work. It's a bit trial and error, but at least we can definitively say that an NPR style show does not work on the football field... :rolleyes:

The powers that be knew that if electronics were adopted, they were going to lose legacy fans. Did they run some kind of marketing study to see if electronics would actually bring in fans? not that I ever heard of.

when rules are made, and the "change" doesn't work, it needs to be repealed...problem is, rules usually are never repealed.

Would MLB fans be so magnanimous to " try out " liking MLB's " change " of adding ( say ) a 5th base in baseball next year ? What if MLB allowed all players to ( say ) wear bermuda shorts next year ? Or allowed teams the option to "change" to the use of lacrosse sticks for outfielders ? If " baseball " added lacrosse sticks to " baseball " would their fans still call the game " baseball " ?

You see, there is " change ", like the use ( or non use ) of " the designated hitter " change, and then there is the " change " of adding lacrosse sticks to the game of baseball.

Not all " change " is created equal. You know what I'm sayin' ?

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 4

Would MLB fans be so magnanimous to " try out " liking MLB's " change " of adding ( say ) a 5th base in baseball next year ? What if MLB allowed all players to ( say ) wear bermuda shorts next year ? Or allowed teams the option to "change" to the use of lacrosse sticks for outfielders ? If " baseball " added lacrosse sticks to " baseball " would their fans still call the game " baseball " ?

You see, there is " change ", like the use ( or non use ) of " the designated hitter " change, and then there is the " change " of adding lacrosse sticks to the game of baseball.

Here we go again: All objective sports are competitions; but not all competitions are objective sports. In MLB you are talking about things that would change the objective outcome; in DCI we are talking about adding or subtracting a subjective aesthetic instrumental sound which "may or may not" sway the "opinion" of the audience or judges (like allowing different variations of music, costumes, and moves in the competition of judged ice skating).

I know the changes you suggested were supposed to just be jokes but those changes have nothing to do with the goal of baseball. The changes they would implement would be based on their performance as athletes competing directly with other athletes. Changes more like how far apart the bases should be (to make it easier or harder for all the players to make a base hits) the kind of balls used, the kind of cleats allowed, etc. things that can increase the competitiveness of the sport.

In drum corps the goal is not the same as baseball, the goal is based on aesthetics and technicality. Imagine if baseball was judged on how well someone hit the bat and the sound that it created more than how fast they were able to run to the base. The kinds of rules created are there to increase the goal. In drum corps, changes are used to find new ways to be aesthetically pleasing, whatever that may be.

I hate constructing polls so here it is...

I contend young people who came to DCI over the past 10-15 years from the marching band world, where guitars and synths and amps and vocals are now the norm in a show, don't see these additions to drum corps as a problem.

I also contend, if you came to drum corps BECAUSE it was not High School Marching Band, you are more apt to hold these changes with a certain amount of angst.

Most likely overgeneralizing, par usual. But, I am sure those who blur the lines will jump up and say, "Nada."

I contend you are partially right. I have also seen many mock those additions

• Like 1

I think its silly that corps should be forced to perform their show in a certain way. Corps should do whatever it is they feel is important in whatever way they feel pleases the most amount of people and helps them get the most amount of money at the souvie stand. They have to be aware about what their market is and the kind of people they want to attract or keep in the stands.

I don't like the idea of corps being forced to do a certain thing. A corp should only do electronics if it feels it wants to, a corps should only perform with whatever instrument as long as they feel that it is most economical, and it achieves their personal goals for the target audience they want to attract.

I don't care if woodwinds are in the field. I do care if it becomes "mandatory", because that just leads to poor show designs.

Just know your market and do what ever it is you know your market wants. The proof is in the pudding aslong as your pudding contains more dollars in than it did yesterday. If people are asking for woodwinds, give them woodwinds, if they are asking for loud brass, give them loud brass, if they are asking for whatever, just give it them!

I'm encourage MARKET RESEARCH. An understanding of the drum corps fan. No more guessing, KNOW what your target audience wants and deliver.

how can anyone have a problem with this...?!?

The problem is that people are expecting their wants and desires to never change. MARKET RESEARCH!

Edited by charlie1223
  • Like 1