EQUIPMENT

I've often wondered just how many corps get a discount from the manufacturers. Is this just the top corps, or is it pretty much offered to any corps that wants to purchase a full line brand new? Where are all these used horns going to? I've been to several of the local marching band shows here in the greater Houston area (supposedly a hotbed of marching band), and I can only recall seeing 2-3 schools total with marching tubas vs. sousies, and haven't really even noticed too many bands with all silver brass.

(trying not to make this sound like I'm being antagonistic...can't find an emoticon for "really, I just don't have a clue here...")

Could you give an idea of the repair breakdown? I was never really too privy to the repair side of things, but back in the day, the only service I remember on our horns was pretty much fixing broken braces on the contras, and that was done ad hoc by whatever instructor had soldering experience. The only service that has ever been done on my 25 year old contra is solder work and maybe some felts replaced - same with my 15 year old contra. They might not have gotten World Class use in the last few years, but both of them came from DCI corps and were used for several summers as such, as well as the DCA use I've given them. Thanks!

FOr soldering purpose, You have to choose perfect tool. The temperature the solder and joint have to reach ordinary solder melts at about 250°C, and this temperature must be maintained in the joint all the time it is being made. Commonly taken as a kitchen tool, the brulee torch is usually used primarily for caramelizing sugar; as a result, it is sometimes called creme brulee torch.

For your percussion section you should be prepared to spend between $45,000-60,000 to buy a battery, pit and electronics if you are buying new.*

*Fine print-

Price estimates are derived from pricing Dynasty, Pearl and Yamaha equipment. Prices based on a 6-3-5 battery with carriers and cases, 3 marimbas, 3 vibes, 1 glock, 1 xylo and basic mixer/speaker set-up.

I would have estimated close to 100k if you consider top of the line equipment and the amount of equipment that world class corps have. Five 4 1/2 octave marimbas will run about 45-50k on their own. 4 vibes would be around 12k. A full battery would probably run no more than 15k but the front ensemble equipment is the big one. add on all of the other accessories such as cymbals, concert bass drum, gong, etc.

A top quality sound system will probably run about 10k for the mixing board, amplifiers,speakers, subwoofers, etc. on its own. I'm kind of basing that price based on what the Bluecoats are selling their sound system for after the season. The synth on its own used from them is $2400.

Funny - everyone is ripping each other for the OP's bad writing skills, but the OP has been gone since the original post. Maybe he/she is the troll........

This is spelled " "T"....."R"...."O"...."L"...."L" for the grammatically inclined. He wanted to get in his dig ( on the loss of the G's ). He did... then vanished. So thats the name ( and grammatical etymology ) on this in a nutshell, imo.

Edited by BRASSO

Old thread is old.

Why bring it back up?

• Like 2

The answer regarding G vs. Bb when you're starting out without a sugar daddy is whatever is cheapest...

Yep, that's the ticket. Purchase the "cheapest" horns; which certainly yields the instrument quality standards required to produce a positive performance experience. And while you are at it, purchase the cheapest percussion, and the cheapest food, lease the cheapest transportation, rehearse at the cheapest facility, secure the cheapest staff, now that is a corps I want to send my kid to!!!

LOL!

There's a corps starting in Missouri called Momentum. Go read their website. Their due diligence suggested they need over a million dollars to field a competitive corps.

Start turning over the couch cushions, 'cause you're going to need it.

I have read through the Momentum website and both of their DCW articles. Seems like they are patient enough to build with a solid business mindset and make sure the youth receive "quality" not "expediency".

Edited by Stu

Remember, if you use Bb/F, you can have trumpet players bring their own horns, if needed.

One of the reasons I saw for Bb when the discussion first started.....

And the one that made me first think that Bb might be the way to go (and I never played Bb value in my almost *gag* 55 years).

Saving money is always the best way to go, especially if you want to be around for a few years.

One suggestion, try contacting a bunch of the corps and see if they are selling off any of their equipment from last year. If they are buying new horns this year, then they are probably selling the ones they used last year. And more than likely, you won't need the full amount. A first year corps seldom gets 150 members. But it is always nice to pick up a few extras, you never know what kind of emergency may pop up during the season. A lot of corps also sell off their flags at the end of the season to marching bands. Check with corps that may have used flags or equipment that might work well within your show plan, and see if they have already sold their flags and or equipment. Some of your local high schools may also have flags and or equipment they can sell.

I agree talking with some corps directors that have been involved in the activity for a while can be the best option. They definitely know most of the information you will need, and a lot of them will be willing to share that information.

Best of luck, it is always good to see a new corps start up, but the logistics and financial issues make it very difficult to do these days. If you are planning on starting up a corps, have you been on staff with a corps before, or marched with a corps? Your best bet would be to work with an active corps this summer, and learn as much about operating a corps as possible. If you can get a position on staff, that would be great, but if not, try to volunteer with a corps, or multiple corps, during the season. They always need traveling volunteers, and you would be amazed at how much you can learn over the course of a summer. Obviously if you don't have instruments and everything lined up by now, you wouldn't be performing this season. But regardless, I hope to see you form a successful corps in the future.

Saving money is always the best way to go...

Really? A full set of rotor G bugles, well used, a few bent bells, some duct tape, but playable, will certainly save you money over a full set of slightly used three valve Bb/F horns in impeccable shape. Since the former will save you money over the latter that the best way to go? I mean really?

I would have estimated close to 100k if you consider top of the line equipment and the amount of equipment that world class corps have. Five 4 1/2 octave marimbas will run about 45-50k on their own. 4 vibes would be around 12k. A full battery would probably run no more than 15k but the front ensemble equipment is the big one. add on all of the other accessories such as cymbals, concert bass drum, gong, etc.

A top quality sound system will probably run about 10k for the mixing board, amplifiers,speakers, subwoofers, etc. on its own. I'm kind of basing that price based on what the Bluecoats are selling their sound system for after the season. The synth on its own used from them is $2400.

Ugh, finally!!! Someone in here with a correct perspective on pricing. I was actually coming here to post the same type of info.

My numbers fall very close to yours. Your electronics numbers are a little low in my opinion, but then again I'm not sure what type of deal the top groups get on their electronics. I know exact figures that they get their percussion equipment for however. You don't want to forget microphones and a TON of cables (which add up).

These numbers are all just fluff though. If you're a start up organization looking to get all new equipment, then 100k is going to be well below the actual price. New groups don't get endorsements, and if they do, they're starter endorsements which get them very limited stuff.