EQUIPMENT

HOW much is the average corp spending on equip looking to start anew but funds are tight should we go with g horns or Bb whats the comparison when it comes to cost I understand that the kids now a days are comfy on the Bb horns any suggestions are welcome

• Like 1

My advice is to start by buying some punctuation and a few more capital letters.

The answer regarding G vs. Bb when you're starting out without a sugar daddy is whatever is cheapest, keeping in mind that's not necessarily a one-year issue. For instance, G horns that cost X now aren't necessarily a bargain if you have to pay X plus 50% next year to fill out your line. Bottom line: Don't make G/Bb decision; make a wise economic decision.

HH

LOL!

There's a corps starting in Missouri called Momentum. Go read their website. Their due diligence suggested they need over a million dollars to field a competitive corps.

Start turning over the couch cushions, 'cause you're going to need it.

• Like 1

Just do the math. We can argue G vs. Bb until we're all blue in the face (we've all done it many times before), but the bottom line is that there are many more marching bands than there are Drum Corps so Bb's are easier to resell. Yes it is that simple.

Why is everything about resell in DCI? Buy some horns and hold on to the things. They are built to last if you take care of them. I won a championship on 12 year old horns so there is no argument. Maybe budgets wouldn't be so high if corps would stop 'upgrading' their equipment every year or two. Then dues skyrocket and everyone is complaining about money.

As for the original question: Whatever you can find to start up is best. Don't get going with the intent of becoming a DCI member corps right out of the gate. Form a parade unit and make some money. Do some exhibitions to get the name into the drum corps community. Contrary to popular belief, you can mix Bb and G if you have to. It isn't as big of a deal as everyone seems to make it and if you aren't being judged then it doesn't really matter.

• Like 3

My advice is to start by buying some punctuation and a few more capital letters.

This made me laugh out loud!!!

• Like 1

Remember, if you use Bb/F, you can have trumpet players bring their own horns, if needed. Also, it is easier to set up a deal of borrowing/sharing/taking instruments out on loan with your local schools if you aim for Bb/F. However, don't forget that percussion and guard need to be addressed, too.

If you really want to do this (and it sounds like you're passionate about it), stop asking the peanut gallery of DCP for advice, and start focusing on asking people who have had success as directors of a corps, or a comparable non-profit youth organization. As others have said, Bill Cook's "So You Want to Start a Drum Corps?" is a good reality check. Really, though, focus your energy on talking to directors and people who have had to learn the hard way about planning for worst-case scenarios. They'll give far better advice than most anyone on here could.

Hope this helps! Best of luck.

Why is everything about resell in DCI? Buy some horns and hold on to the things. They are built to last if you take care of them. I won a championship on 12 year old horns so there is no argument. Maybe budgets wouldn't be so high if corps would stop 'upgrading' their equipment every year or two. Then dues skyrocket and everyone is complaining about money.

Actually, most of the upper DCI corps make a profit by turning over their equipment every year or two. Most of them get their brass at a REALLY nice discount from Yamaha, King, Jupiter, etc. in exchange for the advertising rights. They use them for a year or two and then sell them for more as used than they paid for them new. So, really, they are saving money by using this method.

Best thing to do is spend A LOT of time hanging out with a successful corps to see the behind the scenes operation. Ray Mar with the Mandarins gave me the best advice ever when I was researching how to start PC. Great guy who hides nothing. I would also recommend Stuart at Pacific Crest. Great grounded individual who will tell you everything you need to know.

But first, learn to write in complete sentences. Seriously, if you want to attract members and supporters you must at least sound intelligent.

• Like 2

:thumbup:

• Like 2