Did a folding corps benefit another?

Certainly during Oakland's '79 season, we "benefited" (hate to use that term, but I guess it's the best there is) from both Seneca and Cardinals of Precious Blood folding . . . and I'm sure there are more, but those are the two main ones I remember. We had a huge influx of Cardinals into the '79 corps, and quite a few Optimists, as well. Without them, we wouldn't have been able to field a corps.

"Bucket of Blood" Cardinals LOL...some of the kids I taught in the Greece Cadets used to call them that for some reason.

Following a session listening to the DCI championship recordings of 1974/75, I got to thinking about how some corps dropped off the radar shortly afterwards for a variety of reasons.

Did the demise of the Kingsmen help the Blue Devils in their fairly meteorick rise through DCI's ranks? Disd the demise of the Muchachos help the Bridgemen?

There are probably many more instances - discuss

When the Marlboro Duks folded both Boston and 27th benefited from it.

I spent many years in the Dal Demons B and D corps,...........what corps are you talking about?

Oh, I was showing the General Butler Vagabond/Boston Crusaders connection of 1986-on. A former GBV snare drummer Missy Fend married a former Alliance member turned BAC drum major Eric Gagnon.

In 1964 the Skokie Vanguard placed 18th at VFW Nationals. The Brigade (formerly Custer's Brigade) from Lake County Illinois packed it in that year, with a number of members, including yours truly making their way to the Vanguard. Also that winter, the Phantom Regiment deactivated, and again a number of its members made their way to the Vanguard, including the Vanguard's new Drum Instructor Al Lemert. And on top of that, the Spartans (formerly the merger between the Morton Grove Cougars & the Chi-Angels) also packed it in, and a number of THEIR members made their way to the Vanguard. We had horn rehearsals that winter with 60+ in attendance. The move towards the top was then in motion. The 1965 Skokie Vanguard finished 3rd at VFW Prelims and 5th at VFW Finals. It was quite a dramatic change that I'll never forget.

"Folding Corps":

In the Fall of 1968 the last two Bridgeport junior corps the Bridgeport PAL Cadets and St Raphaels Buccaneers closed their doors. Massive ageouts and the Viet Nam draft had pretty welldevastated both units and a failed merger of the two sounded "Taps" for both.

Quite a few Cadets and Buccaneers found their way up "Route 8" to the Connecticut Hurricanes senior corps and helped in their winning of the 1969 Dream Contest and DCA Championships.

Elphaba

In 1993 Carolina Crown won the div 2 championship and then went on to place 21st in quarterfinals. The decision was made to compete fully in div 1 for the 1994 season. After 1993 Dutch Boy and Sky Ryders folded, Spirit went inactive, and Star of Indiana left the activity. These four absences were part of what put Crown in 17th in 1994.

• Like 1

A fair number of Bridgekids went to Star their first year. Garfield picked up a few Freelancers in 86.We also acquired some horns from the Ca. Dons(even though a bunch of people got cold sores from them). Bush picked up a few Sunrisers in 93(their last championship,btw). I m sure more mergers and acquisitions will pop into my head if I think about it for a while.

J

When the Knight Raiders folded after the '77 season, both SCV and BD benefitted from it. Many talented kids went on to be center snare, lead horn players and even soloists in those two corps.

Larry all that talent and your retiring ??? :thumbdown: