2011 SCV

Isn’t that the goal of every drill?

Yes, of course it is, but I feel that Pete does the best at it of mixing the music and the drill. Sometimes, it feels like the drill just exists cause it has to be there, and isn't really related to the music, but I always feel that Weber does the best job of taking the music, and really painting a visual picture onto the field.

• Like 2

Would you rather they just go back to playing Phantom of the Opera every year, with white pants, and marching straight leg? It's not going to happen, it really won't. They're still pushing forward in the way that only they can, and that's the way it will always be.

I actually prefer SCV in white pants. And never say never. You'd be surprised whats in the works for SCV 45th and 50th Anniversary...

SCV Uniform History

Black Pants/Green Tops = 5

Green Pants/Red Tops = 27 (many variations) I like Classic '70s Style and 97 & Current

White Pants/Red Tops = 9

Green Pants/White Tops =3

• Like 1

Isn't that the goal of every drill?

yes. and we're pointing out that weber/poulan do it exceptionally well. boom.

for the past 3 years, i've been amazed by the level at which the music and visual complement each other. we've seen it done well with corps before, but rarely with great music. rather than use some garbage "original composition" by a glorified arranger, they pick the music of great composers. mr. poulan keeps it true to the original, and then weber makes it come alive with the pictures....extended phrases interpreted in a way i, personally, haven't seen matched since zingali's visual genius was on the field.

not for everybody, obviously.

• Like 2

I actually prefer SCV in white pants. And never say never. You'd be surprised whats in the works for SCV 45th and 50th Anniversary...

SCV Uniform History

Black Pants/Green Tops = 5

Green Pants/Red Tops = 27 (many variations) I like Classic '70s Style and 97 & Current

White Pants/Red Tops = 9

Green Pants/White Tops =3

Wouldn't mind that. SCV's 45th is next year. (Cool, I started on the 40th, and will age-out the 45th). I love the current uniform, but if they want to bring out something special, that could be pretty sweet! :thumbup:

I thought the white pants in '05 worked, but I love the current ones, the '97-04 style uniform.

Can't wait to see SCV on Saturday on the webcast! The show and score are sure improving, can't wait to see the fight going on between SCV/Phantom/ and Bluecoats. It's going to be a dog-fight to the end of the season. Maybe we'll get SCV all the way up to 5th place, but there's going to be some stiff competition....

Plus, everyone needs to start doing the Vanguard yell! It's not loud enough yet, can't wait to see it once people catch on to it! Come on everybody, yell loud!

Go Vanguard! Climb that staircase all the way to Indy!!!! Show everyone what SCV can do!

• Like 2

yes. and we're pointing out that weber/poulan do it exceptionally well. boom.

for the past 3 years, i've been amazed by the level at which the music and visual complement each other. we've seen it done well with corps before, but rarely with great music. rather than use some garbage "original composition" by a glorified arranger, they pick the music of great composers. mr. poulan keeps it true to the original, and then weber makes it come alive with the pictures....extended phrases interpreted in a way i, personally, haven't seen matched since zingali's visual genius was on the field.

not for everybody, obviously.

Interesting…

After 2007 I would have said Weber was THE drill writer to watch as I consider that his masterpiece

So I did notice a change

If I’m not digging the music I guess I won’t get his musical drill

Don’t really understand how the SCV’s Devil’s Staircase is close to the source, a piano etude written specifically for displaying keyboard technique transposed to an 80 person hornline? Seems like it was picked by a pit person based upon tempo - even the source bores me after a minute. There are a lot of Vanguard memes going around that don’t hold up, I love Vanguard too and want them to do well but somethings I just can buy into, taht only being one of them

The SCV guys are definitely on the Weber bandwagon, so don't expect to change that, Cowtown. You just have to mention it once and move on.

What the rest of us can hope for, is that Weber will back off on the visual demand a little bit next year and let SCV blossom.

I think this is their next step to success. They have a brass staff that historically scores well, an incredible percussion staff, jenifo's flag work is bar none, and Fiedler has a history of building a corps and winning a championship.

• Like 1

I agree that the staff needs to be stable there for a while, which is what they seem to be working on.

Seems like they have had some consistency ... haven't Weber, Bonfiglio, and Poulan all been there more than five years? Maybe we have been letting go of the wrong people?

Just a thought

• Like 3

Ok. So, you basically spelled out exactly what my problem is with SCV right now. They are not being the VANGUARD of the activity. They are being The Cavaliers past of the activity. The drill writer and corps director are old cavaliers. The Visual staff is old Cavaliers guys (many of which used to be on brass staff there, including the caption head). The brass staff are all old cavaliers too. The way they are playing their horns is not new. It is how those same guys did it from 2001-2009. The way they march is not new either. It is the way that the cavaliers marched for years.

The problem that I have with it is it's not Vanguard. It is a copy of what was done somewhere else. I get it, The Cavaliers had a recipe that worked there for a while and won a whole bunch. However, it stopped working and that led to some folks being let go. Lots of those folks are now at SCV trying to recreate the same magic. The problem is, there are some pretty important parts of that old puzzle that are not there AND the activity as a whole has moved on.

Also, anther thing I loved about SCV was that they would stimulate me both intellectually AND emotionally from a musical standpoint. They are certainly taking care of the intellectual part, but the emotion is simply not there. When Andre Feagin was there, he had them playing their horns very well. They were also loud enough to communicate to the box. They did not blow their horns apart. They made great sounds and played loud (when appropriate). It is possible. They did it last year. It does seem like a distant memory though.

I love the Vanguard. I have loved The Vanguard for a long time. My problem is that I feel like they are trying to be someone else. There are some other corps that I don't really care for because I don't like their style, but I appreciate that it is their style. For example, I generally don't like Phantom Regiment. I have no problems with the corps, I just don't care for their shows generally (even though once in a while they strike gold: Spartacus). Now, if Regiment started doing jazz shows or british brass band music or geometric drill (all things that I like), I would have a problem with that. Image, history, and tradition isn't everything in this activity, but it is important.

Anyways, just my opinion.

Well stated, and I believe, very close to the mark.

I think that one thing that is harder nowadays is holding on to one's image, history and tradition. Stable staff is one component but another is stable, continuity of the membership. It's a lot easier to maintain image, history and tradition when you have significant numbers of 3,4,and 5 year veterans always among the ranks. I don't know what that percentage is now in the Vanguard, but if it is low, combined with a somewhat new staff just makes that hill a little steeper to climb. Can it be done? Sure, but it may take longer than a year or two.

Edited by Russellrks
  • Like 2

GO SCV!!!! GOOD LUCK TONIGHT IN HOUSTON!

I know the humidity sucks, but you guys can push through! Climb that staircase, and show everyone what you've got tonight and tomorrow in San Antonio, and then enjoy that day off Sunday!

• Like 1