Should trombone players have to learn to play baritone in corps

This topic came up in the 2011 World Class Repertoires.

Should trombone players have to learn to play baritone or euph in order to play in corps, or should trombones be used in corps instead?

Also, what about tromboniums? http://dynastyband.c...-Marching-Brass

Would you be okay with seeing and hearing a trombone solo/soli in the pit?

Is this a controversial issue, or would it be that big of a deal to see one?

I'm curious to find out what you all think.

Edited by jjeffeory

Should trombone players have to learn to play baritone or euph in order to play in corps, or should trombones be used in corps instead?

trombones are great! but not in drum corps... part of the reason is close intervals

• Like 1

well, I guess ANY issue can be controversial in drum corps, so I'd suspect this to be no different.

Trombones are cumbersome to march around with and visually they don't match with the rest of instruments so it probably wouldn't be good to have a whole section of trombones in a drum corps. But if there was a trombone soloist, or even maybe trombone trio for a bit of the show, I could get into that! Just for a different effect in drum corps, it could be fun.

Edited by charlie1223
  • Like 1

trombones are great! but not in drum corps... part of the reason is close intervals

And what kind of problems does that cause?

• Like 1

Trombones are great (I played one). But they've got no place in drum corps. Something has to distinguish the activity from marching band, otherwise what's the point?

• Like 4

Trombones are great (I played one). But they've got no place in drum corps. Something has to distinguish the activity from marching band, otherwise what's the point?

Are you saying that drum corps started as rebuke of marching band?

:poke::huh:

Meanwhile, I can't see using one other than as a solo instrument.

One word.

Jazz.

Three words.

Stan Kenton Band.

One word.

"Machito"

As you were. . .

Chuck Naffier

• Like 2

Something has to distinguish the activity from marching band, otherwise what's the point?

The point is to perform the most entertaining marching field production at the highest possible level of execution and performance.

The problem is what people find to be entertaining...

Edited by charlie1223
  • Like 1

And what kind of problems does that cause?

Watch video from a recent Cavaliers, Cadets, Crown, Blue Devils, etc. show. Find the baritone section and follow them around.

Now imagine trying to march that with the much longer trombone instead of the baritone.

You'll quickly realize the problems caused by integrating t-bones into drum corps visual programs.

As to the OP, yes: trombones players SHOULD have to learn to play another instrument in corps. Seeing as trombones are prohibited by rules, there's no other choice.

Out of curiosity, has anyone brought up the suggestion of legalizing trombones in drum corps at a rules conference anytime recently? Or is someone just kinda thinking off the top of their head here?

I had to adapt from Trombone... So did many many great DC Baritone players over the years... It isn't that big a deal to develope your finger dexterity and that is really the only difference! Plus it is good for the kids to expand their resume! :devil:

• Like 1