JR Corps marching G Bugles?

Funny how few people can tell us when most corps made the switch. Why? Because we can't hardly tell the difference.

HH

I think the general difference is the GOOD brass teaching that created sonorous and stylized sounds on the field vs. the crass nastiness of the 60's, 70's, and 80's that resulted from a less musical approach to the idiom.

• Like 2

Corps today are louder

Are you being serious?

• Like 1

We have decades of just horrible playing on G bugles next to near 2 decades of superior playing on Bb.

With all due respect you are plain wrong here.

Ive heard some pretty horrible playing since the introduction of Multi Key. Cavies 04, CC 09, Cadets 07(sans the narration) and Phantom 08 were some of the best horn lines to come around in multi key. There are some others but they are limited in comparison to some of the GREAT horn lines of years past on G bugles.

The only corps I can even think of that remotely came close to power and aggression of sound with multi key was Cadets 07. When they would Shut the heck up with the narration the hornline could really pound it out.

I challenge you go to go back and listen to some 1985 Cadets,86 BD, 89 SCV 92 Cavies,93 Corps From Indiana or 94 BD and then come back and try and convince the DCP Audience that there was some horrible playing going on with G bugles.

• Like 5

I think the general difference is the GOOD brass teaching that created sonorous and stylized sounds on the field vs. the crass nastiness of the 60's, 70's, and 80's that resulted from a less musical approach to the idiom.

Yeah,, and people loved it in droves. The in your face approach was the thing in the day. Anyone that was WINNING was doing it and then everyone jumped ship and did it too. Sort of like when someone wins with Narration and hopping bunnies,,next year everyone else starts to follow ship. Thank god the bunnies died in 06.

Shows were sold out everywhere and there was hardly a empty seat in the house. You sat and listened to every corps because you could not get enough of it.

Now you have shows with empty seats and lots of sales of hot dogs because people are bored with the evolution or hate electroncs/multi key or narration.

While I understand and experienced some of the arguments in favor of Multi Key.... I have not really seen where it has helped the activity as a whole.

• Like 1

We have decades of just horrible playing on G bugles

Well I will give you thumbs up on 93 BD. Great horn book but talk about some stink from the hornline. One of the hardest shows to listen too from BD era.

• Like 1

it's a trade-off for me

i like the big sound of g lines, but other musical qualities come through more consistently on b flat horns for my taste.

again, just my personal opinion. other people have different tastes in the brass sound they like on the dci field. lots of varying tastes out there for pretty much any genre of music.

1. G bugles sound awesome when they are played correctly, just like anything else.

No argument there. Past, present or future, good playing is good playing. Loved listening to it on G horns back in the day, love hearing in multi-key it now.

2. false, false, and false. corps today aren't as loud, period.

Sorry, I'm not buying it, period. The older horn lines favored (for want of better terminology, and with no disrespect intended) a more rough-hewn quality, as per the fashion of the day. But you gotta take off those rose-colored headphones and stop confusing coarseness with volume. The modern heavy hitters are no less potent than their ancestral counterparts. They just melt your face with a little more finesse.

Peace,

Fred O.

• Like 4

A reason not yet stated:

It would be an absolute PEDAGOGICAL WASTE to spend an entire summer on something that no one will use.

You can play Bb instruments in professional ensembles. Educators will teach their students on Bb instruments. The list goes on.

The only really practical use for using G horns is if someone plans to enter the MDBC, but there's no sense putting 80 hornline members through that torture (not to mention the audience) just so one prospective MDBC kid can get some experience.

• Like 5

A reason not yet stated:

It would be an absolute PEDAGOGICAL WASTE to spend an entire summer on something that no one will use.

You can play Bb instruments in professional ensembles. Educators will teach their students on Bb instruments. The list goes on.

The only really practical use for using G horns is if someone plans to enter the MDBC, but there's no sense putting 80 hornline members through that torture (not to mention the audience) just so one prospective MDBC kid can get some experience.

Since when was learning to play another instrument than the one you already play a waste of time? This is the one part of the Bb argument I can't get behind at all.

Back when 'Coats signed me out my first G sop, I didn't consider it torture, I considered it a challenge and an honor.

BTW, where are all these professional F mellophone players? Is it a pedagogical waste to keep 12 of them around for the summer?

• Like 6