Best clip to show to middle schoolers

Here's the sitch...I'm assistant coach of the fencing team at a local private school. I usually deal with the middle school team (what we used to call Jr high)...next season I'll probably be taking the middle schoolers by myself and leaving the high schoolers to the head coach.

My problem this year has been....they're 6th through 8th graders and generally have the attention span of a used flashbulb.

The kids have a decent amount of potential, but I sometimes can't seem to get them to understand things like getting dressed in a timely fashion or not to yak so much that it interferes with training.

I keep telling them they can get better if they devote themselves to being taught while I have 'em, but some don't seem to get the idea.

I'm thinking - for next year (since the scholastic season finished over the weekend) of showing them a drum corps clip to show what can be accomplished if they show up on time and spend more time stabbin' and less time gabbin'

I need suggestions on maybe a 30 second clip...recognizable music (so that counts out BD 2010) and good drill. Ideas have been end of show Star 90-91, End of show Regiment 01, 03, etc....any other thoughts?

IMO show them a clip of Boston 2000 or 2010.

IMO show them a clip of Boston 2000 or 2010.

But DEFINATELY not Boston 2009.

If the principal walks by the middle schooler's classroom and peeks in, they'll be some 'splainin' to do, if you get my drift.

• Like 3

But DEFINATELY not Boston 2009.

If the principal walks by the middle schooler's classroom and peeks in, they'll be some 'splainin' to do, if you get my drift.

Oh believe me...I get it! Some of the male parents might not mind, tho!

Remember, tho....this clip isn't to get kids interested in drum corps....it's to show them what they can accomplish when they focus on their training, something which applies across all activities.

Oh believe me...I get it! Some of the male parents might not mind, tho!

Remember, tho....this clip isn't to get kids interested in drum corps....it's to show them what they can accomplish when they focus on their training, something which applies across all activities.

If the goal is to show what comes about through dedication and hardwork, there are Drum Corps videos available that show Corps members in practice, with Corps marchers explaining what they do, why they do it, and usually followed up with brief clips of the Corps in performance. There is also a video out there ( somebody will have it ) that interviewed a Phantom Regiment female marcher that marched with a disability ( heart murmur ? or something like that ). She was pretty inspirational, imo. Also, another option might be to use Fan Network, and from your computer with an adapter, put it up on a large screen assembled in your classroom, and pick out a few trailers, a few interview clips, and few practice clips, to show the kids what Corps do in regards to hard work, training, and then the ultimate payoff in front of appreciative fans in their performance.In this case, I wouldn't show just a Corps in performance, as it probably won't really accomplish what you are intending to accomplish. The performance won't demonstrate the hard work and " training " at all. Just the result. So I'd show video with more of the " training " and the " hard work " aspect, via marcher, staff interviews, Corps in practice, etc coupled with the end result.. the brief clip of the Corps performance with the appreciative fans. This is a couple of ideas, anyway. Good luck!

Edited by BRASSO

Having a difficult time seeing this as inspirational to 11 year olds, except maybe in a hey look kids, there are bigger _or_s out there than us fencers (or do you call them foilers?)

So do you roof for the fencers?

roof like root, ah, forget it

Edited by cowtown

Fencing...hmmm. I would use swordplay video games or movies to inspire them to see what they could do with a little practice rather than drum corps. I just don't see drum corps as relevant to middle schoolers except for bandos.

• Like 1

I'm sorta thinking about this... have you thought about maybe showing them a video of some Olympic fencers? I'm sure there are some nice video shorts/ bios on the internet that maybe showcase some of the world greatest fencers and the amount of hard work and dedication they put into the sport. I mean, that probably would seem more relevant to them and could inspire them more than drum corps video sense they already have the interest in fencing.

I only say this because if I was high school marching band watching a video about how hard a baseball player works wouldn't resonate as well with me as if I saw a video of a drum corps show.

02 Cavaliers drum break?