Best clip to show to middle schoolers

I'm sorta thinking about this... have you thought about maybe showing them a video of some Olympic fencers? I'm sure there are some nice video shorts/ bios on the internet that maybe showcase some of the world greatest fencers and the amount of hard work and dedication they put into the sport. I mean, that probably would seem more relevant to them and could inspire them more than drum corps video sense they already have the interest in fencing.

I only say this because if I was high school marching band watching a video about how hard a baseball player works wouldn't resonate as well with me as if I saw a video of a drum corps show.

oh believe me, there are plenty of vids of fencing from all sorts of places, including the Beijing Games. The problem there is, the actions are simply too fast for these kids to follow and they can't see the subtleties in some of the blade actions.

That's why I wanted to use something easier for them -- especially the noobs next season -- to understand. A familiar music phrase that's played cleanly vs dirty is easy to get....so's a drill passage that looks wild and resolves into something recognizable (end of Star 91, for example)

95 Madison Scouts is what I show people, it always works. Then throw in the ending of the 99 JCS show, both those shows work great for me. If I get someone hooked, I show them anything from 82 to 89 the years I marched cause we all know the 80s. ruled!

Why not Devils 84 with teacher in it?

Surely that would hold their attention more than anything else.

• Like 1

Why not Devils 84 with teacher in it?

Surely that would hold their attention more than anything else.

I considered that first off....especially the opener where I had a closeup....but camera work in the mid 80s sucked and the shots are generally too tight to show the drill much, which is one of the things I want them to see, since that shows very easily what showing up on time and paying attention can result in..a bit easier than an awesome musical phrase.

Anyone thought about the ending to Crown '04? It's Bohemian Rhapsody, and how many kids don't know about Queen or BR? I think that would be a pretty good one, or even the Madison Scouts version from '79 if you want to inspire your trumpet players.... :devil: