Multi-year Vets in Today's DCI

I posted my observations from last night's Phantom Regiment brass camp in the PR Repertoire thread and it brought to mind a question...

Many of us who marched prior to the 90's spent multiple years with our former corps, and some, my brother and myself included, marched from the age of 14 to 21. My question is, given the expense and physical demands of modern drum corps, are kids doing anything close to this anymore?

A friend of mine (Cavalier FMM) remembers managing the drum department at the old Guitar Center location on Belmont in Chicago about 15 years ago when a father and his son came in one night carrying a marching snare, looking for a kevlar head. Turns out the kid was headed to Rockford to try out for the Regiment snare line, so my friend asked the kid how old he was, and upon finding out he was 20, went on to ask him if he planned on aging out with them, were he to make the line.

Without hesitation, the kid said "No way." When asked why not, the kid (who was obviously in optimum physical shape, and had chops from hell) said it was just too demanding from a physical and time point of view.

I'd be interested in hearing your opinions on this.

Thanks!

I started marching with my corps 5 years ago (2006). I age out this year (2011). I will have spent 6 seasons with the drum corps when I age out (my corps is a consistent top 5 group). Yes, it is still done. I remember auditioning as a 15 year old kid who could barely play my instrument, and lucked myself into a spot because I had memorized the music for camp and the vets in the section hadn't. Time flies.

I know a few people who have done 6 or more years. One of them marched Glassmen and Bluecoats for a total of 8 years. One of them is in his sixth year with the Bluecoats for 2011 and aging out. There are still "super-vets" around.

today is it even healthy to march for 6+ years? isn't there a point where your body begins to fight back?

today is it even healthy to march for 6+ years? isn't there a point where your body begins to fight back?

Good question.

I started having physical issues around my 6th year. My ageout, I had this really intense knee brace, still didn't help with the almost unbearable pain. Bus rides were the worst.

Is it possible? Sure. Is it likely? Not so much any more - due to financial reason as well as physical reasons. Money is easy to understand, but I think a lot of rookies don't really get how strenuous a season of drum corps really is.

Think about all the kids who play football, basketball hockey, soccer, etc. for years on end from grade school and make it to the college level of their sport. When they hit the elite (and pre-elite, i.e. high school) level of their sport they have access to proper training facilities, paid training personnel, and already have a concept of how to move their body appropriately for the sport.

In drum corps, we're taking a great number of out of shape kids who often don't know how to protect their knees, back, feet, etc. and putting them on the field hoping they've worked in the off season according to their visual manual and/or staff instructions. This isn't baby stuff that designers are asking these kids to do on the field. If stretching and training isn't taken seriously by all who are going to move on that field, there are injuries just waiting to happen.

• Like 1

Multi year vets may not be as common, but still do exist - I know three 6+ year vets, and a large number of vets who are on their 4th/5th year.

Cue Kris's Dad in 3....2....1....

LOL. Yes, I think his son is about six years in on an eight year run as a Blue Stars marching member. So, yes, there are a few long timers out there, but nothing like the old days. Just too great a commitment to march multiple years these days.