Colleges that could make great Drum Corps

North Texas...

• Like 4

With all due respect to great University bands....the answer is none. Although many bands have great directors, awesome writers and talented members, they are made to entertain at football games and provide a part time experience for students. Drumcorps requires grit and determination often under tough circumstances, a university band would crumble under the daily pressures of touring in the summer.

As proven by Jacksonville State University, long term support for a creature such as a drumcorps does not jibe with the mission of a university or college.

• Like 1

Since Spirit came from Jacksonville State University, what are some other Universities around the nation that you think could make stellar corps?

Discuss.

US Coast Guard Academy

With all due respect to great University bands....the answer is none. Although many bands have great directors, awesome writers and talented members, they are made to entertain at football games and provide a part time experience for students. Drumcorps requires grit and determination often under tough circumstances, a university band would crumble under the daily pressures of touring in the summer.

As proven by Jacksonville State University, long term support for a creature such as a drumcorps does not jibe with the mission of a university or college.

I'm inclined to agree here - while there have been some mighty impressive performances from the college crews, the overall mission and objective between the two are vastly different. I have seen some truly spectacular college shows but, Drum Corps (overall) still can dust 'em all.

Local plug: UW-Mad has got some majorly impressive power to them, unfortunately that ridiculous marching style they prefer offsets any positives I could attribute.

Stanford :w00t:

Yeshiva University.

Fiddler on the Roof... Hava Nagila... etc. I can hear it already.

Edited by BRASSO

Riverside Community College?

Perhaps.. but I doubt it since it's mostly the off-season for plenty of Drum Corps peoples anyway.

Alabama could pull it off... we've been working with Michael Klesch for quite a few years now and we normally have quite a few members of the MDB march corps.

L.S.U., Alabama and a lot of the big S.E.C. "Corps Style" bands could pull it off. The Southeastern Conference not only has great football, but overall the best "Corps Style" bands from top to bottom IMO..................

Not true. My alma mater has no football team and hasn't for over 25 years. The marching band is not a "part-time" experience. While it may not consume near the time DC does, it functions as a lab for music education majors and as an ambassador for the university. Of course it would be difficult...but most things worth doing are.