The new theater event thing.

Granted, in the grand scheme of things the TOC name is not that important; but in the grand scheme of things neither is DCI itself that important. The thing with me is that the title of "Champion" in any competitive arena is one that is earned when, for a given moment in time, you and you alone are considered the best of the best. BD, Cadets, Cavaliers, SCV, Regiment, (and the Scouts) have all "earned" that WC title. Those are the "Champions". But to get this post back on track, the June theater event sounds to me nothing more than a shortened Quarterfinals line-up from August. My "guess" is that the June event will also focus on all of the new crowd enhancement aspects as well as the shows themselves.

It might be the ONLY way DCI can show the 'enhancements' because few of the current TOC competition sites have big screen capabilities to show what is going on with each corps BEFORE they come to the field to compete.

Wasn't that one of the enhancements - a behind the scenes view of each TOC corps????

• Like 1

Dupe.... Snip...

Edited by jjeffeory

Only one missing is Madison.

Mike

and Star....

and Kingmen.

Too bad you guys wont get to see all of the DCI champions, considering its the "tournament of Champions"

Would you be satisfied if they renamed it? Maybe to "Tour of Champions from the last TWO DECADES."

Seriously get over the TOC already and earn your way in....

• Like 5

Would you be satisfied if they renamed it? Maybe to "Tour of Champions from the last TWO DECADES."

Seriously get over the TOC already and earn your way in....

I have to agree with this ^ . Because if you want to get picky with it then take the Blue Stars into consideration... they have been champions.. in 89- A/60 champions. 93-A/60 champions, 2001-Div III champions, 03-div III champions... so if you want to get that nit picky then Blue Stars are champions.

I like Crown, Blue Stars, Bluecoats. I just don't remember when they were crowned DCI " Champions ".

I know you went on to say that the name didnt bother you but i just wanted to reply to your first comment

Edited by TubaJon

Boy the suspense of who will get the first 75.05 of the season will kill me for two days. I have to buy my tickets to make sure I am there. Will I be able to sleep. Who will have the shows complete by then and be a championship performance.

Edited by md60
  • Like 1

So DCI announced that they will be doing something different with the theator event this year, and it will be held June 20 instead of like May or something. This is what I heard from a corps director that what is in the works for details.

1. On June 18th and 19th there are 2 TOC events one of thoes will be taped and broadcasted at the event.

2. Scores will not be announced at the actual event. The scores will be broadcasted LIVE in theaters.

3. This will give the fans a sneak preveiw of the upcoming DCI season, and will get people all excited about the upcoming season

Ok ok I know the details are REALLY rough but that is what I heard was being disscussed. It is proably wrong, but we shall see once they actually annouce it.

Uh... what? So you're saying that people will leave the stadium without knowing who won... and then the next day they are going to film all the corps doing a retreat and then announce the scores?

I don't know any specifics but it seems like to me that the entire event will be a Live Fathoms event broadcasted to the theaters. That just makes more sense to me.

Also, technically, according to the schedule those June shows aren't "TOC" shows. But, they will have the top 8 in attendance.

I hope this is successful... however, the people who usually view drum corps through the Quarterfinals broadcast and DVDs are going to wonder why the drill and music is dirty as crap. I hope this doesn't detract from the event.

that's so true. I mean, yea, its broadcast in theaters and yea, there is a lot of hype... But we're still just going to see June drum corps... Still better than April drum corps!

• Like 1

Uh... what? So you're saying that people will leave the stadium without knowing who won... and then the next day they are going to film all the corps doing a retreat and then announce the scores?

I don't know any specifics but it seems like to me that the entire event will be a Live Fathoms event broadcasted to the theaters. That just makes more sense to me.

Also, technically, according to the schedule those June shows aren't "TOC" shows. But, they will have the top 8 in attendance.

This seems to be the most likely scenario. And, I for one will sooo be there with ticket in hand! Another chance to see drum corps is fine with me..... even if it is June.