I learned something today from my daughter

But think of the children

Way to use a kid while painting some other posters inaccurately and with a rather broad brush to push your new school borg agenda

Not that the OP didn’t do the same even though they tried to coyly deny it while playing innocent

But isn’t that what drum corps is about anyway, adults using kids to their advantage

I don't think of it that way at all. But if you do ...

HH

You are being snarky on an internet forum in order to win an argument against an 11 year old. It may be time to reevaluate life.

My comment above on this thread was not directed to the 11 year old. There is no way any intelligent person with even an elementary level of reading comprehension could derive that from my comments above. Your comment that I was attempting to " win an argument against a 11 year old " is completely off base. My comments were directed toward the father who shared with us that his daughter liked today's Corps better because she enjoyed the modern day Corps " story lines ". I accepted the fathers comments about his daughter's comments regarding " storylines ". When the father said he'd be playing last year's shows with his daughter, I asked him if he'd like to have his daughter help me and others with an understanding of their storylines. To think that my comments were generated to the 11 year older to win an argument with here is not only false, it is jaded, imo. It may be time to reevaluate your reading comprehension skills if you thought my comments were directed to the child in order for me to " win an argument " with her.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 4

...all I said was show her some SkyRyders...If the daughter liked shows with stories, she'd like those Skyryders shows. I wasn't trying to convert her to some neo-conservative cult...

Fair enough. In my defense, I intended SkyRyders as an example in general and not specifically to address your thoughts.

I do, however, stand by my comments. This reflexive need around here to downplay any positive reference to modern drum corps, particularly when its compared to older iterations, is ultimately destructive to the activity. Cadets '87 might still be my favorite corps of all time. That doesn't make corps who marched since unworthy of praise. And that's all the more so when it's someone else's preference.

She liked Crown '07. Maybe, just maybe, that's indicative of positive prospects for drum corps. Can't we see that?

HH

Edited by glory
  • Like 1

He tells us his daughter likes modern drum corps. Y'all tell us she's wrong.

Are you listening to yourselves? We get it – oh we get it – that you wish drum corps would revert to something, anything but the failure you see on the field today. You've made that point insistently and incessantly. Show her the great shows of the 80s, and she'll see the light. She too can learn to hate modern drum corps as any sensible fan would if only you would educate her properly with Skyriders of blessed memory.

True drum corps fans ought not be displeased in the slightest if she prefers Triple Crown or Mad World over the blessed memories of someone else's experience. If she likes Triple Crown of 2007 more than 80s Brand X show we should be pleased at the prospect of one more fan rather than disappointed by preference, especially from one from one so young.

We know this for sure. Young people won't grow up loving corps the way we do if they don't experience corps in the flesh. She's never going to see Skyriders. She has chance to see Crown. We should be glad she might be excited by the prospect. And we ought to stifle our selfishness lest it ruin it for her forever.

HH

Who said We said she's wrong? shutup.gif

The OP said his daughter enjoyed shows that tell a story. So, I suggested a few shows that I thought she might like. You know, older shows that tell a story. I mean, they REALLY tell a story, not an abstract concept; a story.

Personally, I was curious to know if she would like THOSE older shows, which some on here consider dino shows.

Then we would see if it's the story telling she likes, or the complexity, or what. No need to get crazy on us glory... blink.gif

She can see Skyriders, Garfield, SCV, Madison, et cetera, and their story telling shows on the telly & the current shows live.

Maybe she'll like 'em both?

• Like 3

FWIW, my two elementary school kids (both of whom are completely "meh" about drum corps) both agree that their favorite shows are, in order, 2008 Phantom Regiment, 2005 Phantom Regiment and 2008 Cavaliers, all because of the storylines. (Well, and in 2005 Regiment's case, a severe love of Gershwin.)

Mike

• Like 1

Fair enough. In my defense, I intended SkyRyders as an example in general and not specifically to address your thoughts.

I do, however, stand by my comments. This reflexive need around here to downplay any positive reference to modern drum corps, particularly when its compared to older iterations, is ultimately destructive to the activity. Cadets '87 might still be my favorite corps of all time. That doesn't make corps who marched since unworthy of praise. And that's all the more so when it's someone else's preference.

She liked Crown '07. Maybe, just maybe, that's indicative of positive prospects for drum corps. Can't we see that?

HH

Lots of people liked Carolina Crown's " Triple Crown " from 2007. I did not see this as generational at all. 11 year olders liked it.... 80 year olders liked it... people new to Drum Corps liked it... people that were around before DCI was formed liked it. The fact his 11 year old daughter liked Crown's " Triple Crown " show is neither surprising nor indicative of much of anything at all. It was a positive, nice comment about one Corps show from 2007. No more, no less. It fits no broader narrative, imo. The need for some here to extrapolate ANYTHING beyond this Corps show's impressions on this preteen is fraught with a leap to broader generalizations that get into agenda driven replies that are simply unwarranted, imo. The 11 year old girl commented to her Dad here that she liked Crown's " Triple Crown ". That's a nice comment from her, and my reply to that would be a simple... " Me too ".

Edited by BRASSO

The thing I draw from the OPs message is that he was willing to reconsider his preconceptions about current product on the field.

Too many people -- even those who profess to be 'open-minded' -- can't put aside their prejudices because they don't even realize they have them.

Kids do things like that to you -- all the time :-)

• Like 2

Who said We said she's wrong? shutup.gif

The OP said his daughter enjoyed shows that tell a story. So, I suggested a few shows that I thought she might like. You know, older shows that tell a story. I mean, they REALLY tell a story, not an abstract concept; a story.

Personally, I was curious to know if she would like THOSE older shows, which some on here consider dino shows.

Then we would see if it's the story telling she likes, or the complexity, or what. No need to get crazy on us glory... blink.gif

She can see Skyriders, Garfield, SCV, Madison, et cetera, and their story telling shows on the telly & the current shows live.

Maybe she'll like 'em both?

If the daughter liked or disliked shows from 2010, or from 1989 or whatever, what the Father ( an we ) learn from this exercise is what this solitary 11 year older prefers in Drum Corps shows shown on DVD. It's also nice to know his daughter has an interest in watching Drum Corps.... from any era, and is sharing these moments with her Dad. It's all good, imo.

Beyond this, I see no other additional learned info from this that will make us wiser. Or is there some deeper, broader generalization that is possible to be learned from this ? If so, I'm all eyes and ears.

Edited by BRASSO

Way to use a kid while painting some other posters inaccurately and with a rather broad brush to push your new school borg agenda

Not that the OP didn’t do the same even though they tried to coyly deny it while playing innocent

But isn’t that what drum corps is about anyway, adults using kids to their advantage

Nominated for post of the year! :worthy:

• Like 1

Wow, you really missed the point if that's how you saw my post. I guess the fact that I was enjoying on my own merrit, DCI 1976 and that I also said I was looking forward to the DCA Alumni Spectacular was all a lie to push an "agenda"? :rolleyes: WOW :rolleyes:

For cryin out loud. I was enjoying drum corps DVDs with my daughter. She had a request, and I granted it. No big deal really other than I found it interesting enough to want to share the story on DCP. But to say that I tried to be "coy by denying an agenda" is a ridiculous accusation that is completely unfounded. But, that's what I get for posting on DCP. I should have learned my lesson two years ago when I wisely chose not to post anymore. My bad. I'll go back to my silence. Have fun with this can of worms I apparently opened. :rolleyes:

Edited by torn8o
  • Like 2