I learned something today from my daughter

lol.... i say its square :blink:

LOL I'll go with spherical.

Yes. At one time, all the scientific geniuses in the universities convinced everybody that the earth was flat, despite most of the profs never having personally navigated beyond a few yards at best in a tiny canoe or rowboat up a lazy river. Quite the " experts " they.

This is a prime example of why I'd like to share a bus seat with you.

• Like 1

This is a prime example of why I'd like to share a bus seat with you.

My bus riding days have come and gone.

'Got a limo in mind with some friends ?.... ( haha )

Edited by BRASSO

WOW! Thanks to all for taking a nice original post and turning it into a mess. You people really need to get a life, and realize your life's worth is not going to be measured by the number of post you have on DCP.

The OP does not tell us anything other than Torn8o had a nice Drum Corps moment with his daughter, like I have with my son, and that he wanted to share the story. It is REALLY that simple....

• Like 4

I like old. i like new. I like good that makes sense even better.

yes drum corps is for the kids. But it's also for the people paying to see it. You can't have one without the other

• Like 2

The OP does not tell us anything other than Torn8o had a nice Drum Corps moment with his daughter, like I have with my son, and that he wanted to share the story. It is REALLY that simple....

I guess I missed what was so heartwarming about it? His daughter basically said (albeit very nicely), "I don't like what you like, can we turn it off now?"

• Like 2

I guess I missed what was so heartwarming about it? His daughter basically said (albeit very nicely), "I don't like what you like, can we turn it off now?"

I don't know. I remember my glass being half full at the time. I could have sworn she said she liked drum corps.

HH

• Like 3

I don't know. I remember my glass being half full at the time. I could have sworn she said she liked drum corps.

HH

Yea, me too....

• Like 2

I will start by saying I have over the last number of years grown very open minded to everything drum corps and marching arts related. I love the old school. Without it, we would not have the activity we have today. I love the modern too. Without progression, our activity makes no progress (master of the obvious, right).

Yet, I know there are those out there that prefer one over the other. We all are entitled to that. However, when we argue sometimes so rabidly about it, I now have to ask (as of today), why do we argue? Afterall, who's DCI activity is it? DCI is for the kids, right? DCA has the Alumni exibitions for the old schoolers - I'll talk more about that on a later post (after this gets a few replies).

what do the kids want? Well, I can't speak for all kids perhaps but I can tell you of a conversation I had with my 11 year old daughter today.

I was enjoying some old Legacy DVDs from 1976 this afternoon (still love those years, always will). My daughter sat and watched with me kind of quietly until I hear "Dad?"..."Yes sweety?" I answered, "These shows don't tell a story like last years corps did, do they" she asked. "No, your right. They don't. Just marching and playing." She stayed quiet for about 60 more seconds until I asked the next question. "So which do you like better?" I asked. "Oh definitely the story telling corps, dad. Much more interesting. I really like that corps that did the horse show that you showed me (Crown 07). I really liked that "this is my rifle corps haha. Creepy but neat". I replied with a very simple "hmmm" and back to the video and watching quietly. Until the next corps came on. Once again I hear "Dad?"...."Yes sweety"..."Dad, um when this corps is done, can we watch last year's DVD"....to which I replied...."No sweety, we can watch that RIGHT NOW if you want". And the smile on both of our faces had to be priceless.

What's my point? LOL! I don't know. Feel free to read into this post however you wish. I will simply watch and read your responses for a while. :) I have some ideas that I may share later. But for now. Post away. :-)

Great story; for what it's worth my 9 year old is very similar. If there is a corps doing a story type show, or even one with visually interesting characters (just the guard, or the musicians in character), he is WAY more interested than just marching and playing. He roots for Blue Devils for whatever reason (I suspect because of their success in the time he's been going to shows and watching online), but he also roots for whatever corps has friends teaching or students marching. But theme shows definitely hold his interests more than non-themed shows. And to be honest, older shows from the 70's and many from 80's don't hold his interest much at all (he says it's "too slow & boring")

• Like 1