Give it away give it away give it away now

Of course, if you devoted that much time to promoting drum corps on YouTube instead, we'd already be trending much higher, right?

Good luck promoting it effectively on YouTube without actually showing a DCI corps performing. That's the crux of the problem.

Mike

For a number of years, I have had the largest global record company as a client. I first started working with them in the days before social media existed, and where all efforts were focused on driving media sales. Hit with the reality of rapidly declining media sales, they finally started to change their approach. No longer were media sales the primary focus, or even much of any focus at all... but the new game was a 360 degree approach to the artist, where the label diversified their revenues by taking a cut of live shows, merchandising, endorsements, etc.

In this new 360 degree model, the label started to realize that they could make up for the lost media revenues by engaging more fans, and the more lax they were on their media distribution, the more revenues increased in other areas due to increased exposure to new potential fans (when it's free and EASY to do, people share it). Their focus then became on developing relationships with viewers of free content and individuals that downloaded tracks in order to encourage them to go to events or pick up merchandise.

That’s an interesting take but it goes back further, before social media and to mp3. I had access to a commissioned industry analysis by a big 6 firm in the early 90s that suggested to give it away. A lot of it was based upon the success of VHS and all the secondary markets they developed when the same Media giants had also tried to block home video recorders. They still wouldn’t budge

They (the media companies) initially fought mp3s, went after napster, filed tons of law suites against downloaders and then got some of their top acts to sit in front of congress to whine on their behalf, like Metallic – who have never recovered from the black lash of being seen as anti-fan and pro-industry, suing fans wasn’t the best idea

As the record companies became less relevant, they also started to get sued by their biggest stars, see Madonna who claimed they were bank rolling the lesser acts. And they were but the record companies needed to develop the new Madonnas too just as others had done for her (think G-8)

The record companies were late adaptors, they were playing catch up with the bands and trying to wedge themselves back into the equation…to make a long story short and because this bores me we now have LiveNation – that was formed by a media company, clear channel that owned much of the airwaves….Livenation took control of the venues, to get a cut of the shows and t-shirts…..and then they bought ticketmaster to complete the circle – bands now sign with Livenation but not for music rights but for production rights

Livenation is like DCI in that they are producers of shows - now they just need to also get control of the airwaves and all the stadiums

The problem, in essence, is that the drum corps activity is run by corps directors - people who are

great at running drum corps organizations but have NO CLUE what they are doing when it comes to business,

marketing, partnerships, strategic planning, organizational development, governance, etc., i.e., all

the things it takes to create a successful industry.

Edited by BDUFLS

The problem, in essence, is that the drum corps activity is run by corps directors - people who are

great at running drum corps organizations but have NO CLUE what they are doing when it comes to business,

marketing, partnerships, strategic planning, organizational development, governance, etc., i.e., all

the things it takes to create a successful industry.

I agree that corps directors as a rule aren't good at the business aspect of things... but why should we expect them to be? Isn't that one of the reasons why DCI exists? To help the corps directors on the business side so they can focus on running the corps?

I agree that corps directors as a rule aren't good at the business aspect of things... but why should we expect them to be? Isn't that one of the reasons why DCI exists? To help the corps directors on the business side so they can focus on running the corps?

BINGO!

Dude, I'm on Facebook. Frankly, that's a bit insulting. You're funny. Obviously that 500 million number is HUGE, but it's NOT all in America. That's worldwide. 500 million out of 6.7 billion. The US population is ~307 million, so obviously not everyone is on FB yet.

How many people in America are on Facebook over 40? What percentage?

All I said was that it's going to take a few more years for that approach. You need to have a more holistic approach.

...and try not being snarky...

Just keeping it real....

Everything I say will sound "Snarky" to you...

Oh btw I'm watching a Presidential Town Hall on FACEBOOK.... interesting that the president thinks its important to utilize social media...

If you don't see the value of social media in our current society NOW and in the FUTURE you are most definitely out of touch. You think because older people are not using social media that DCI should not exploit social media?! Using social media is SO IMPORTANT! It's so inexpensive to go viral on social media! Social Media is a strong approach especially since DCI can't afford TV ads and Newspapers are on the decline! Take a look at this statistics:

"Fifty-one percent of Americans ages 12 and up have Facebook accounts, says Edison Research, which will release a full report on its findings in a webinar on April 5"

Majority of Americans on a single social media site, that is POWERFUL.

"According to Facebook's official numbers, there are more than 500 million people on the site worldwide. That's about the same as the combined population of the European Union. Since 2008, Facebook usage has increased, especially among people 35-years-old and up, the study says."

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2382638,00.asp

And THAT'S keeping it real...

Edited by charlie1223

Everything I say will sound "Snarky" to you...

Oh btw I'm watching a Presidential Town Hall on FACEBOOK.... interesting that the president thinks its important to utilize social media...

If you don't see the value of social media in our current society NOW and in the FUTURE you are most definitely out of touch.

"Fifty-one percent of Americans ages 12 and up have Facebook accounts, says Edison Research, which will release a full report on its findings in a webinar on April 5"

"According to Facebook's official numbers, there are more than 500 million people on the site worldwide. That's about the same as the combined population of the European Union. Since 2008, Facebook usage has increased, especially among people 35-years-old and up, the study says."

http://www.pcmag.com...,2382638,00.asp

And THAT'S keeping it real...

Yes, I just heard on the radio this morning that the U.S. government has started making announcements on FB and twitter. Cool.

We need to start using it, but there has to be overlap, which is what I was talking about all along. You can't just go there and shut down the rest.

About being snarky.... It's not what you say, it's "how" you say it... I try to use the Golden Rule, especially online. It's too easy to come across badly.

And We're keeping it real some more! tongue.gif

Edited by jjeffeory

BINGO!

. . .so, where is our DCI Media Development person? Who handles that now? Anyone know?

I'd take a few less Fan Network vids each year if we could devote someone full time to a social media and fundraising slot @ DCI.

Yes, I just heard on the radio this morning that the U.S. government has started making announcements on FB and twitter. Cool.

We need to start using it, but there has to be overlap, which is what I was talking about all along. You can't just go there and shut down the rest.

About being snarky.... It's not what you say, it's "how" you say it... I try to use the Golden Rule, especially online. It's too easy to come across badly.

And We're keeping it real some more! tongue.gif

I don't know why you are concerned about people not being able to access social media and get drum corps content. It's very easy to access, and by now, even the oldest generation is smart enough to understand how to search the web. I'm still very much unclear about what this "overlap" is and I don't see how putting more DCI info in social media is some how hurting any percentage of the DCI audience that doesn't know what the internet is. If you're a fan of DCI you know how to access social media.

Edited by charlie1223

I don't know why you are concerned about people not being able to access social media and get drum corps content. It's very easy to access, and by now, even the oldest generation is smart enough to understand how to search the web. I'm still very much unclear about what this "overlap" is and I don't see how putting more DCI info in social media is some how hurting any percentage of the DCI audience that doesn't know what the internet is. If you're a fan of DCI you know how to access social media.

My concern is keeping as many people as possible "in the loop", both young and old, with DCI so that DCI may thrive.

So add a new method, but do not get rid of the old, so those who are not as tech savy can still get what they want without too much problem.

This is part of the "Technology Acceptance Model (TAM)", proposed and improved upon by Davis, as a research based model for technology analysts to organize their thinking about whether users will accept and use new information technology. TAM suggests that when a user is exposed to a new system, there are many factors that will influence when and how they use the new technology.

TAM, is an extension of The Theory of Reasoned Action (TRA). This is a study of the relationship between attitude and behavior in general with the goal to try and predict behavior.

Hope that sheds more light on things for you.

Edited by jjeffeory