Dark N Light Light N Dark...Am I the Only One ?

........what just happened?

Ok....I am getting tired of ranting out here(Believe it or not) but I just can't contain myself when it comes to reading another show description of dark vs. light. Really ? I mean how many times have dci corps drank from this well ? Did a rule pass a couple of seasons ago I missed requiring all dci corps to play a good vs. evil, light vs. dark show ?

Is this the best the creative staffs of dci can come up with ? man..... :shutup:

Am i the only one ? Does anyone else out here feel the same ?

I'm sorry, where did this come from?

This year I only see 1 corps doing a "dark vs light" theme and that's the cadets...

Last year I don't think any of the themes could be placed in the "dark vs. light" theme category... So maybe you could just clarify what corps show you think embody this trend of doing shows that have theme "dark vs. light"?

We need something different to shake things up. I think a good show would be something about

a Clown who makes people laugh, but is sad on the inside...and maybe he suffers from severe diarrhea.

Such a show would be to sad for words, imo. I need a spoonful of kaopectate just thinking about it. Perish the thought, madalumni.

I'm sorry, where did this come from?

This year I only see 1 corps doing a "dark vs light" theme and that's the cadets...

Last year I don't think any of the themes could be placed in the "dark vs. light" theme category... So maybe you could just clarify what corps show you think embody this trend of doing shows that have theme "dark vs. light"?

Colts kind of fall into that category too.

Colts kind of fall into that category too.

Really? I don't think so. "Deception" may fall into the "dark" category but just because it has a "dark" theme doesn't mean its instantly "dark vs. light". Not only do I think the "dark vs. light" theme hasn't really been used that often, but I also think that a single corps hasn't repeated such a theme so directly if they had done it in the past.

More than happy to recant with other ideas, since ofcourse, this just my impression and not a "fact"...

I think the point of this thread shows that we like to keep things in tight easy to understand categories. "Dark" and "light" are pretty messy bundles. Honestly like every thread here that brings up "dark" and "light".. it honestly depends on your definition of "dark" and "light".

In the broadest terms I could say ANY and EVERY show is about "Dark vs. light", in some way shape or form. Or I can be pretty specific about what I exactly mean about "dark vs. light". And for me, that means understanding the nuances of shows.

Every one can say the cadets show is strictly Good vs. Evil... Pretty freakin' obvious. And then you have other shows like "the devils staircase" and "Sinvitation" and "Pandora: A dark gift". That has a "dark" element to it but I don't think those can be considered "dark vs. light" material... that leads to the idea that maybe its only considered "dark vs. light" if that's what you want it to be...

Edited by charlie1223

Agreed - it's just the trend, and it's fairly easy to get across with broad strokes on a field, which makes it even more attractive.

Mike

I can buy in to the idea that it's just a trend...I guess what I am wondering is....how long will this dark vs. light good vs. evil trend continue ? BD 2007 was a dark vs. light good vs. evil kind of show and that's going to be a few years ago already. Shoot...you could even say Boston's 2004 show (Composition of Color) was a dark vs. light good vs. evil type show (light colors...light moods...dark colors...dark moods).

Just hoping we move on.....

And to someone who said 'themes' sometimes don't mean a hill of beans....in the end...I agree...to a point...

Man, you are SO dark! :ph34r:

Really ? I haven't even been to the beach yet this year....how did that happen...

:rolleyes:

I can buy in to the idea that it's just a trend...I guess what I am wondering is....how long will this dark vs. light good vs. evil trend continue ? BD 2007 was a dark vs. light good vs. evil kind of show and that's going to be a few years ago already. Shoot...you could even say Boston's 2004 show (Composition of Color) was a dark vs. light good vs. evil type show (light colors...light moods...dark colors...dark moods).

Just hoping we move on.....

And to someone who said 'themes' sometimes don't mean a hill of beans....in the end...I agree...to a point...

You're making this a much bigger deal than it is. I believe the trend does NOT exist in "dark vs. light" shows... There is only 1 corps this year that is doing a "dark vs. light" show... and last year ZERO corps did a "dark vs. light" show... and 2009 maybe 1 corps can be considered of doing a "dark vs. light" show...

Based on your broad definition of a "dark vs. light" show every show can be twisted into falling into that category and I don't think that can justify a trend... I don't see the trend.

A little clarity please on what you think creates a drum corps trend and the necessary requirements for a show to be considered "dark vs. light"? Maybe you can convince me that there is even a "trend" in show concepts and themes that are about "dark vs. light".

Edited by charlie1223

As long as it's not a show about someone's inner child, I'm cool.

Or some child's inner adult.

Do you choose to ignore the countless and vast MAJORITY of other shows that AREN'T Dark vs. Light? ? You're making this a much bigger deal than it is. The trend does NOT exist in "dark vs. light" shows... There is only 1 corps this year that is doing a "dark vs. light" show... and last year ZERO corps did a "dark vs. light" show... and 2009 maybe 1 corps can be considered of doing a "dark vs. light" show...

Based on your broad definiton of a "dark vs. light" show every show can be twisted into falling into that category and I don't think that can justify a trend... I don't see the trend. I definitely would not consider Boston 2004 a "dark vs. light" show because the mood expressed were far more nuanced than "dark" and "light".

A little clarity please on what you think creates a drum corps trend and the necessary requirements for a show to be considered "dark vs. light"? Maybe you can convince me that there is even a "trend" in show concepts and themes that are about "dark vs. light".

Let me honestly admit it's the dark part that I have seen/heard as a reoccurring theme. Ok...so...how does one define 'dark'...right..obvious question. To me....dark is fragmented, choppy, predominately minor chords, dissonant and unsettling music. To many corps to list over the last couple of seasons that have a good portion of their shows that fall in to this category.

Phantoms show in 2010 was "in to the light"...the beginning was def. dark in nature. This season...Cadets for sure...Colts....just dark would be cascades.

With so many styles and textures of music to explore...I just feel like a lot of bases are being missed and overlooked.

A majority of folks (even staffers, arrangers) have agreed there is a lot of homogenization....that's some of the reason why Michael C. has been brought on board

The more moderation...the better. Does every corps need a musical reprise and a 200 bpm part in their shows ?

Edited by Triple Forte