Dark N Light Light N Dark...Am I the Only One ?

Ok....I am getting tired of ranting out here(Believe it or not) but I just can't contain myself when it comes to reading another show description of dark vs. light. Really ? I mean how many times have dci corps drank from this well ? Did a rule pass a couple of seasons ago I missed requiring all dci corps to play a good vs. evil, light vs. dark show ?

Is this the best the creative staffs of dci can come up with ? man..... :shutup:

Am i the only one ? Does anyone else out here feel the same ?

The season has nnot begun yet yet these programs are old already. I Am sick of the evil vs good , dark vs light shows also.

PLEASE GET CREATIVE>>>>

Get out more. PLEASE.

Ha! Funny and true. Not to be insulting to the other poster, but there are truly more themes than Dark versus Light / Good versus evil in the world. The world is not *only* diametric.

Shakespeare had at least 69 themes: http://www.enotes.co...e-quotes/themes.

Edited by jjeffeory

How brilliant....you have observed and are acknowledging content from my sig...... :satisfied:

I will take an entertaining and exciting show over a new, visionary and inventive show that doesn't connect with me any day.....

BTW.....the last time Slaughter on 10th avenue was played by a dci corps was 1989 (21 years prior)....boy that's an overplayed tune.. :huh2:

Thank you for acknowledging the brilliance.

I just would think that someone who is so clearly intolerant of shows that offer some minor aesthetic similarities would have a different attitude. Especially when you havent even seen the program you are whining about, and especially when your favorite corps is known for repeating things over and over. Your corps played Slaughter 5 times in their history. Thats a lot to play the same thing. They have also played Malaguena 7 times in that span, did back to back strawberry soup (82/83) and malaga 4 times in 9 years (94/95/04/09).

All you have to do is look at Corpsreps and you will see how corps used to do not only the same songs over and over, but sometimes that same full show! (SCV 1988/89, Scouts 1991/92).

Now I have ZERO problem with this. Many of those were some of my favorites when I was a kid. The first year I ever saw a drum corps, I was 14 and watching Madison's 1992 city of angels. I only point this out because your the one claiming that all of that there is a sudden "new" thing of DCI corps "Drinking from the same well". You found it pretty convenient to forget that "Drinking from the same well is ALL corps used to do back in the day.

Im sorry the current shows are over your head and you can only connect with one type of program, but thats your problem. If you cant find "new, visionary, or inventive" entertaining, then I suggest you stay home with your 1982 beta cassettes, break out your bellbottoms, and have your self a grand ole time!

• Like 2

Ha! Funny and true. Not to be insulting to the other poster, but there are truly more themes than Dark versus Light / Good versus evil in the world. The world is not *only* diametric.

Shakespeare had at least 69 themes: http://www.enotes.co...e-quotes/themes.

Thank you for English lesson. I'm well aware that other themes exist out there. (And I'm hoping that someone picks the 'medicine' theme to bring to the field next year.)

I was merely pointing out that a good/evil, antagonist/protagonist element exists in just about every good story. For drum corps to strip it down to the basic elements just makes sense. To me anyway.

But I understand it's been a pretty slow off-season and we all need something to ##### about.

Thank you for English lesson. I'm well aware that other themes exist out there. (And I'm hoping that someone picks the 'medicine' theme to bring to the field next year.)

I was merely pointing out that a good/evil, antagonist/protagonist element exists in just about every good story. For drum corps to strip it down to the basic elements just makes sense. To me anyway.

But I understand it's been a pretty slow off-season and we all need something to ##### about.

You're welcome! thumbup.gif

I just wanted to point out that there are MANY themes to choose from, not just the simple ones.

The Medicine theme would be fun, and maybe someone has done it and I'm too tired to remember!

Thanks for pointing out the most obscure and outrageous theme on the list! ph34r.gif

...and of course, there were a couple of old shows about "Cooking", which isn't a theme from ye olde, tired, old white guy...

(I Can Cook Too, Strawberry Soup?)

You're right it has been a slow off-season, so we ALL do need something to ##### about indeed! tongue.gif

Edited by jjeffeory

You're welcome! thumbup.gif

I just wanted to point out that there are MANY themes to choose from, not just the simple ones.

The Medicine theme would be fun, and maybe someone has done it and I'm too tired to remember!

Thanks for pointing out the most obscure and outrageous theme on the list! ph34r.gif

...and of course, there were a couple of old shows about "Cooking", which isn't a theme from ye olde, tired, old white guy...

(I Can Cook Too, Strawberry Soup?)

You're right it has been a slow off-season, so we ALL do need something to ##### about indeed! tongue.gif

What about music from the film "The Medicine Man", with Sean Connery?

It could depict the struggle of penicillin against ebola.

Oh wait... that could be construed as good vs. evil... Nevermind.

:biggrin:

What about music from the film "The Medicine Man", with Sean Connery?

It could depict the struggle of penicillin against ebola.

Oh wait... that could be construed as good vs. evil... Nevermind.

:biggrin:

It's all in how you sell it!

You could open with music from the film "The Medicine Man", then segue into Mary Poppins: A Spoon Full of Sugar. That of course is Juxtaposed with Snoop Dogg's "My Medicine" and Bon Jovi "Bad Medicine". You could then close with "Medicine Man by The Buchanan Brothers. Of course Michael Boo could probably find a better piece for the closer, but hey, you gotta admit this is a good start for a proper show theme! thumbup.gif

Edit: ...and of course this show theme has Carolina Crown written all over it! Crown, imagine the possibilities!

Edited by jjeffeory

I don't mind seeing several corps tackle the same basic concept in their own way. I think it's a good way for audiences to get a feel for the "corps identities" that some feel have been lost.

Personally, this reminds me of a few years ago when it seemed like every third show I saw at high school competitions somehow incorporated Michael Jackson's "Thriller."

I liked listening to The Cavaliers play Michael Jackson's song " Thriller " in their encore. As a matter of fact, I liked listening to this simple song in their encore performance than some other encore musical pieces they've played in the past. The Cavaliers seemed to get a good reception from the audience from playing it too, it seemed to me. And just as importantly, the Cavs themselves seemed to be enjoying letting their hair down and just grooving a bit on it in their encore performance. (I usually like Crown's encores of late as well. )

Edited by BRASSO

Well, if I remember from 5th grade English, there are three types of conflict:

1) Man V Man

2) Man V Nature (or God if you believe in that)

3) Man V Himself

Even Toy Souldier could be M V Himself and Man V Man (toy).

Spartacus: Man V Man

The Zone: Man V Himself (girl v herself) or Nature depending on your interpretation of the dreams

a 2nd chance: Man V Man (big man with rifle vs. chickie chick)

...ad nauseum

Anything trying to tell a story is gonna pull from one or more of these. One side could always be seen as dark and one as light. Humans tend to like duality and believe everything has an opposite, but I"m getting into the weeds of philosophy (that I don't know diddly about).

As long as the show is good I don't care.

• Like 4