Dark N Light Light N Dark...Am I the Only One ?

Thank you for acknowledging the brilliance.

I just would think that someone who is so clearly intolerant of shows that offer some minor aesthetic similarities would have a different attitude. Especially when you havent even seen the program you are whining about, and especially when your favorite corps is known for repeating things over and over. Your corps played Slaughter 5 times in their history. Thats a lot to play the same thing. They have also played Malaguena 7 times in that span, did back to back strawberry soup (82/83) and malaga 4 times in 9 years (94/95/04/09).

All you have to do is look at Corpsreps and you will see how corps used to do not only the same songs over and over, but sometimes that same full show! (SCV 1988/89, Scouts 1991/92).

Now I have ZERO problem with this. Many of those were some of my favorites when I was a kid. The first year I ever saw a drum corps, I was 14 and watching Madison's 1992 city of angels. I only point this out because your the one claiming that all of that there is a sudden "new" thing of DCI corps "Drinking from the same well". You found it pretty convenient to forget that "Drinking from the same well is ALL corps used to do back in the day.

Im sorry the current shows are over your head and you can only connect with one type of program, but thats your problem. If you cant find "new, visionary, or inventive" entertaining, then I suggest you stay home with your 1982 beta cassettes, break out your bellbottoms, and have your self a grand ole time!

Your post is littered with insults, sarcasm, assumptions and just plain classlessness. So...with that..I am not even going to offer up a full response. You took shots at two corps that have 60+ consecutive years of excellence each and you have taken shots at me.

Just for the record,

# I am complaining about the fact we hear a lot of "This is about good vs. evil" or "This is about dark in to light". I am not complaining about corps playing songs that have have been played before.

# I use to have some corps loyalties....and I bet a couple would surprise people. As far as Madison loyalty goes...I will say this...they are corps I stand by because of what they stand for. It's not about the show choices they have made.

Edited by Triple Forte

I still cannot believe people are gripping about this... If you are turned off to a show because of the little description and the title that corps give their product than you are missing the point. Any show about dark vs. Light, or the city, or a country, or about anything can all be appreciated without understanding anything about the design concept or description. If you are so tired or annoyed about a theme just ignore it and enjoy great music and movement!!

I still cannot believe people are gripping about this... If you are turned off to a show because of the little description and the title that corps give their product than you are missing the point. Any show about dark vs. Light, or the city, or a country, or about anything can all be appreciated without understanding anything about the design concept or description. If you are so tired or annoyed about a theme just ignore it and enjoy great music and movement!!

Your post is littered with insults, sarcasm, assumptions and just plain classlessness. So...with that..I am not even going to offer up a full response. You took shots at two corps that have 60+ consecutive years of excellence each and you have taken shots at me.

Just for the record,

# I am complaining about the fact we hear a lot of "This is about good vs. evil" or "This is about dark in to light". I am not complaining about corps playing songs that have have been played before.

# I use to have some corps loyalties....and I bet a couple would surprise people. As far as Madison loyalty goes...I will say this...they are corps I stand by because of what they stand for. It's not about the show choices they have made.

I think therein lies the rub though.

"Good vs. Evil". "Light vs. Dark". These all can be portrayed in numerous ways. And in the drum corps idiom, they HAVE been, even as of late. Yes, the basic principle may be the same, but the manner in which they are presented on the field is different.

Drum corps, as a medium, is limited. There are finite ideas you can do and do well with the tools allotted. When one tries to step outside that box and use different tools to convey a different story or theme, one will normally be crucified (see Cadets 2007). Drum corps will naturally default to the broadest of themes.

Anyone who believes they have a good picture of what a corps show will be like based on poster and source music release needs therapy.

Anyone who believes they have a good picture of what a corps show will be like based on poster and source music release needs therapy.

Yet it is "the" thing to do this year. Almost every corps has one. I mean, even Madison has a show poster this year.

Uh, many of them are VERY good looking and well done, so that's at least something...

Just for the record,

Thank you for not offering up a full response. First good choice you have made.

Im sorry you cant take the counter arguments, but that probably just means you should not start any arguments to begin with.

And no, you are not taking any kind of "high road", you simply have no argument and are taking the cowards way out.

I cant state any clearer that I have no problem with corps "Drinking from the same well". You were the one that came out swinging with some empty bashing about every corps doing the same thing.

I only pointed out your hypocritical nature so common on DCP by people who think that drum corps before a certain year (probably the years you marched) are the only legitimate entities and that anything new that doesn't meet your standards is somehow lacking. I dont care what you like or dont like, but I do take exception to your mass bashing of the activity. Especially when you offer up nothing to back your statement.

You clearly cannot read if you found anything that can be considered a "shot" at any corps. The only corps I brought up are some of my favorite (And yours it seems). The shows I pointed out

are some of my very favorites. The Blue Devils and Scouts of the 90s are some of my very first shows that I saw and I to this day love them, play them, and drum along to them. So again, just because I shot down your attempts here, dont make me out to be the one hating any corps or any show. I pointed them to illustrate how ridiculous your argument was.

Sarcasm, yes. Because your original post and your attempt at defending it are ridiculous so I have no problem using sarcasm.

Again, reread my post. There is nothing classless in there. Just because you have no leg to stand on, does not make me classless. I also did not make any assumptions. I made points clearly that were only responses to your ignorant post.