Dark N Light Light N Dark...Am I the Only One ?

Are you referring here to something like a theme revolving around Led Zeppelin and " Stairway to Heaven " ?

If so, I'm with you, as given a choice, I'd take this any day over something from Claire or Martha, etc. Been there, done that, when it comes to Bartok and the other obtuse, atonal, minor key music, you know what I'm saying ? Time to give such music a rest now for a little bit, don't you think ?

It's actually an Eddie Izzard reference.

But if Zeppelin works for you, go for it. :)

I'm trying to remember a great movie or book that didn't have a good vs. evil type of theme and am coming up short.

This is not mind boggling. Light (and it's absence) are pretty fundamental parts of human existence. It's likely been the subject of discussion...well... since humans started discussing :-) So yeah... there's a trend... but it pre-dates drum corps by a few hundred millennia or so!

Edited by corpsband
  • Like 2

It's actually an Eddie Izzard reference.

But if Zeppelin works for you, go for it. :)

Variety is the spice of life. Lots of genres of music out there available for creative music arrangers to explore. I'm not putting in a plug for Paige. (He doesn't need it). It was just an example. I recognize the impediment of copyrights too. But still in all, it's not a valid excuse. Theres LOTS of potentially very appealing music out there not yet brought to the field of DCI, imo.

Edited by BRASSO

Let me honestly admit it's the dark part that I have seen/heard as a reoccurring theme. Ok...so...how does one define 'dark'...right..obvious question. To me....dark is fragmented, choppy, predominately minor chords, dissonant and unsettling music. To many corps to list over the last couple of seasons that have a good portion of their shows that fall in to this category.

Phantoms show in 2010 was "in to the light"...the beginning was def. dark in nature. This season...Cadets for sure...Colts....just dark would be cascades.

With so many styles and textures of music to explore...I just feel like a lot of bases are being missed and overlooked.

A majority of folks (even staffers, arrangers) have agreed there is a lot of homogenization....that's some of the reason why Michael C. has been brought on board

The more moderation...the better. Does every corps need a musical reprise and a 200 bpm part in their shows ?

People are going to be splitting hairs on this definition of dark. Mark my words, you're going to have snarky responses really soon. It doesn't matter whether you're right or wrong; or if your argument is sound or not. Someone is just going to give you a hard time for the heck of it. I just know it....

I agree with you. There are many ways to convey a "dark" show. It's more of a logical disjunction. One can do it musically, visually, thematically, or many other ways... The shows that you mentioned fit perfectly into definitions of dark. The snarky responses you are going to get will try and imply that you need some sort of logical conjunction... You know, this AND that have to be true in order for a show to be considered "dark"....

I'm trying to remember a great movie or book that didn't have a good vs. evil type of theme and am coming up short.

Under the Tuscan Sun? tongue.gif

People are going to be splitting hairs on this definition of dark. Mark my words, you're going to have snarky responses really soon. It doesn't matter whether you're right or wrong; or if your argument is sound or not. Someone is just going to give you a hard time for the heck of it. I just know it....

That's fine....I can take people giving me a hard time.... :satisfied:

I know there are a lot of dci fans who feel the way i do....

I agree with you. There are many ways to convey a "dark" show. It's more of a logical disjunction. One can do it musically, visually, thematically, or many other ways... The shows that you mentioned fit perfectly into definitions of dark. The snarky responses you are going to get will try and imply that you need some sort of logical conjunction... You know, this AND that have to be true in order for a show to be considered "dark"....

:thumbup:

Yeah... your right.

Maybe we should try something TOTALLY new and visionary like Slaughter on 10th avenue, Rhapsody in blue, New York New York or Malaguena. THATS new and inventive!

How brilliant....you have observed and are acknowledging content from my sig...... :satisfied:

I will take an entertaining and exciting show over a new, visionary and inventive show that doesn't connect with me any day.....

BTW.....the last time Slaughter on 10th avenue was played by a dci corps was 1989 (21 years prior)....boy that's an overplayed tune.. :huh2:

Edited by Triple Forte
  • Like 4

I don't mind seeing several corps tackle the same basic concept in their own way. I think it's a good way for audiences to get a feel for the "corps identities" that some feel have been lost.

Personally, this reminds me of a few years ago when it seemed like every third show I saw at high school competitions somehow incorporated Michael Jackson's "Thriller."

Poopliacci!

FERPECT!

Dear John Williams:

this is your cue to make rights easier for drum corps. Once we have a show about the jedi vs. Sith, the circle will be complete