The Chase Big Idea "compare and contrast" thread

If the need outside of drum corps was described the way you said it, instead of implying that drum corps are somehow not "real" charities, then perhaps it wouldn't have been given negatives?

By that scale are "real" charities only ones that feed people? Does housing them count as well? Do they have to only address basic needs? How about mentoring programs, they don't provide basic needs, do they count as a "real" charity? How about a local art museum?

Anyway, you see my point. If someone wants to donate outside of drum corps, that's fine...no issue there at all. However, do we have to denigrate drum corp organizations by saying they're not "real" charities to do so?

I'll let SFZFAN give their defintion of real charity. Mine would include food, housing and mentoring as that helps people with real life. But instead of "real charity" my term would be "more important charity".

Actually (off the point), wondering what makes Drum Corps a charity. Just got a $$$$ request for the Antique Auto Club of Americas Museum and Library. Will have to reread to see if that POS (and I'm a member) can be used as a write off..

• Like 2

I'll let SFZFAN give their defintion of real charity. Mine would include food, housing and mentoring as that helps people with real life. But instead of "real charity" my term would be "more important charity".

Actually (off the point), wondering what makes Drum Corps a charity. Just got a $$$$ request for the Antique Auto Club of Americas Museum and Library. Will have to reread to see if that POS (and I'm a member) can be used as a write off..

I brought up mentoring because I learned far more about real life in drum corps than I did anywhere else. Hard work, work ethic, discipline, how to get along with many different kinds of people, committing to excellence, all these things changed my life.

So, if a drum corps is looked at as a way for kids to learn more about music/art and give them something to do...then maybe I can see your point.

However, I look at it as a chance to change kids lives....that qualifies as a "real charity" to me.

Peace,

CuriousMe

(long term employee of a national, non-drum corps, real charity)

• Like 1

I brought up mentoring because I learned far more about real life in drum corps than I did anywhere else. Hard work, work ethic, discipline, how to get along with many different kinds of people, committing to excellence, all these things changed my life.

So, if a drum corps is looked at as a way for kids to learn more about music/art and give them something to do...then maybe I can see your point.

However, I look at it as a chance to change kids lives....that qualifies as a "real charity" to me.

Peace,

CuriousMe

(long term employee of a national, non-drum corps, real charity)

Hey we agree to disagree which is cool. My personal definition of charity involves food, housing, basic education and mentoring. And by mentoring I'm thinking help with the classroom or dealing with life. Have a future niece-in-law who deals with inner city kids who are so screwed up some have a parole officer (none are over 15). I'd say what she does with them is mentoring for real life along with the regular classroom duties.

• Like 2

Hey we agree to disagree which is cool. My personal definition of charity involves food, housing, basic education and mentoring. And by mentoring I'm thinking help with the classroom or dealing with life. Have a future niece-in-law who deals with inner city kids who are so screwed up some have a parole officer (none are over 15). I'd say what she does with them is mentoring for real life along with the regular classroom duties.

No problem, I just hate to see folks denigrating some great organizations, which really change kids lives.

• Like 1

I wanted to see more "hows" on the DCI proposal. They have great goals listed, but no clear indication how they are going to achieve them. Things like this:

SPOTLIGHT THE PRESENT: Through technology & live interaction, this grant will connect thousands of students & millions of their fans worldwide in exciting new ways.

It sounds great, but how? Isn't this what they've been trying to do for the past umpteen decades? What will they be doing differently with the $500 grand?

obviously DCI can only put up a really short clip and description of what they are going to do. Do you get mad also when DOD writes into its plan that it is going to "prevent and deter conflict"???

• Like 1

Why do you donate to charities in the US? The US is arguably the richest country in the world. Don't you think you should donate to some kids who live places where there is no means to help them?

Homeless kids in the U.S. are still very privileged in the worldwide picture of children today.

Where do you draw the line?

• Like 1

Why do you donate to charities in the US? The US is arguably the richest country in the world. Don't you think you should donate to some kids who live places where there is no means to help them?

And how does the wealth of the US help the individual kid? If you haven't read the paper lately a lot of govt agencies (Federal/state/local) are having problems paying the bills and a lot of aid agencies are taking big cuts. And God help you if you live in PA with our new Gov..... PS - That niece to be was laid off for a while and might not be working next year with the at risk kids. Translation: No one will be doing that work with the at risk kids, so much for US wealth.

Homeless kids in the U.S. are still very privileged in the worldwide picture of children today.

Local kids I'm thinking about have a home to go to. Might not have adult supervisor, support, food, etc, etc but they are not homeless. Does the term "fall thu the cracks" mean anything.

Where do you draw the line?

Dealing with local agencies where I can see or find out how they operate. This includes knowing how much of a percentage goes to staff expenses.

Question for you: Why heartburn over supporting people in need? Guess my church taught me wrong.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

If the need outside of drum corps was described the way you said it, instead of implying that drum corps are somehow not "real" charities, then perhaps it wouldn't have been given negatives?

By that scale are "real" charities only ones that feed people? Does housing them count as well? Do they have to only address basic needs? How about mentoring programs, they don't provide basic needs, do they count as a "real" charity? How about a local art museum?

Anyway, you see my point. If someone wants to donate outside of drum corps, that's fine...no issue there at all. However, do we have to denigrate drum corp organizations by saying they're not "real" charities to do so?

I guess the geniuses on DCP read way too much into that. I meant that Drum Corps are NOT charities. I had two REAL charities that I wanted to vote for and I did. I then simply voted for DCI and my two favorites of the corps that were left.

• Like 2

No problem, I just hate to see folks denigrating some great organizations, which really change kids lives.

I didn't "denigrate" any organization. I voted for two charities and three Drum Corps entities. Get over yourself already.

• Like 2

And how does the wealth of the US help the individual kid? If you haven't read the paper lately a lot of govt agencies (Federal/state/local) are having problems paying the bills and a lot of aid agencies are taking big cuts. And God help you if you live in PA with our new Gov..... PS - That niece to be was laid off for a while and might not be working next year with the at risk kids. Translation: No one will be doing that work with the at risk kids, so much for US wealth.

Local kids I'm thinking about have a home to go to. Might not have adult supervisor, support, food, etc, etc but they are not homeless. Does the term "fall thu the cracks" mean anything.

Dealing with local agencies where I can see or find out how they operate. This includes knowing how much of a percentage goes to staff expenses.

Question for you: Why heartburn over supporting people in need? Guess my church taught me wrong.

it's not heartburn... I'm just questioning why you pull out the "my charities are morally superior" card when your charities actually raise money for people who are wealthy by worldwide standards.

I don't have any problem with what you choose to donate to. That is your choice, and based on your values. But your values don't need to be imposed on other people's choices as well.