The Chase Big Idea "compare and contrast" thread

it's not heartburn... I'm just questioning why you pull out the "my charities are morally superior" card when your charities actually raise money for people who are wealthy by worldwide standards.

How did I do that? What I did was defend what SFZFAN posted and poted my personal definition. My response to you was to try to give you a better idea that a rich country does not always translate (aka trickle down) to the less fortunate. And as far as rich, the city I deal with (Harrisburg) is trying to decide what form of bankruptcy they should persue.

I don't have any problem with what you choose to donate to. That is your choice, and based on your values. But your values don't need to be imposed on other people's choices as well.

And how am I imposing on anyone? By expressing opinion? By "agreeing to disagree" with CuriousMe? You're just reading crap into my posts that are NOT there.

• Like 2

I didn't "denigrate" any organization. I voted for two charities and three Drum Corps entities. Get over yourself already.

Drum Corps are charities by any definition available....but yours of course.

You denigrate them by not giving them their due, they are charities who are involved with the education of youth.

Nothing really to get over, you're the one who is creating their own definitions and sub-groups of who is worthy of a donation.

How did I do that? What I did was defend what SFZFAN posted and poted my personal definition. My response to you was to try to give you a better idea that a rich country does not always translate (aka trickle down) to the less fortunate. And as far as rich, the city I deal with (Harrisburg) is trying to decide what form of bankruptcy they should persue.

And how am I imposing on anyone? By expressing opinion? By "agreeing to disagree" with CuriousMe? You're just reading crap into my posts that are NOT there.

Gotta love Linda and her great work for the city!...

...but I digress.

As an avid arts supporter, I gave a few of my votes towards YEA and a few other DCI related groups. This thread shouldn't become moral arguments based upon what charities you "should" choose, it is about what the individual deems is worth one of his or her five votes. If you disagree, so be it, but people really need to stop having moral crusades against others . This is a blanket statement.

• Like 1

obviously DCI can only put up a really short clip and description of what they are going to do. Do you get mad also when DOD writes into its plan that it is going to "prevent and deter conflict"???

All the other groups seemed to be able to concisely state what they would do with the cash, that was over and above their day-to-day operations.

To me, that section of DCI's proposal should read: do what we've done for the past 20+ years with marginal success.

Drum Corps are charities by any definition available....but yours of course.

You denigrate them by not giving them their due, they are charities who are involved with the education of youth.

Nothing really to get over, you're the one who is creating their own definitions and sub-groups of who is worthy of a donation.

How very very curious of you...

den·i·grate/ˈdeniˌgrāt/

Verb: Criticize unfairly; disparage

I didn't denigrate any corps. Thanks for playing... Next?

Edited by SFZFAN
  • Like 1

Gotta love Linda and her great work for the city!...

...but I digress.

Oh... oh.. can't tick off a local here... :tongue: Besides I might know you..... :ph34r:

As an avid arts supporter, I gave a few of my votes towards YEA and a few other DCI related groups. This thread shouldn't become moral arguments based upon what charities you "should" choose, it is about what the individual deems is worth one of his or her five votes. If you disagree, so be it, but people really need to stop having moral crusades against others . This is a blanket statement.

Agreed and none of my posts are meant to insult or even question the choice of anybody. But I will request demand (I'm in a crappy mood) the same consideration of others when I express my opinion. And if we are going to have a full discussion let's make sure we know what is fact and what is opinion.

LOL, so when did we going from discussing what is/isn't Drum Corps to what is/isn't a charity.

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

LOL, so when did we going from discussing what is/isn't Drum Corps to what is/isn't a charity.

Right about the time someone started trying to redefine what a charity is...

In the US, the IRS is the arbiter of which groups are considered "real charities". In general, if you are designated as a 501C3 organization by the IRS, you are a real charity.

People who donate money to a qualified 501C3 organization can deduct the amount of the donation as a charitable donation.

There are many types of organizations that qualify as "real" per the IRS. Some examples: religious, educational, support of youth programs, arts related, non-profit hospitals, public safety, amateur sports, defense of human rights, relief provided to poor and underpriviledged.

I am sure that DCI and the corps are all 501C3 organizations.

• Like 1

In the US, the IRS is the arbiter of which groups are considered "real charities". In general, if you are designated as a 501C3 organization by the IRS, you are a real charity.

People who donate money to a qualified 501C3 organization can deduct the amount of the donation as a charitable donation.

There are many types of organizations that qualify as "real" per the IRS. Some examples: religious, educational, support of youth programs, arts related, non-profit hospitals, public safety, amateur sports, defense of human rights, relief provided to poor and underpriviledged.

I am sure that DCI and the corps are all 501C3 organizations.

Understand the legal definitions Bob, but sometimes the heart over rules what's on a piece of paper. Then again I work in IT and disagree with a lot of documentation. :rolleyes: Now watch me accused of trying to be "morally superior" by posting this. :huh:

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1