The Chase Big Idea "compare and contrast" thread

I was somewhat surprised by SCV's statement about California kids. I am NOT complaining about that because it's probably true for the most part, but these days the kids come from anywhere and everywhere. You never know who's going to show up on your doorstep.

I think the "corps incubation" program in DCI's Big Idea is enough of a reason by itself to justify putting all our votes in the DCI basket. Then, next year's top 100 can all be drum corps. :smile:

Well, only one vote can go for DCI, might as well use all five (1 for DCI and the other for the four other corps).

I voted for Glassmen, SCV, and DCI... The rest went to real charities

EDIT: That was not a slam on Drum Corps - are you people serious? Drum Corps is a huge part of my life but I don't consider any of them to be charities. I don't know why I'm surprised - this is DCP after all!

Edited by SFZFAN
  • Like 4

I think the "corps incubation" program in DCI's Big Idea is enough of a reason by itself to justify putting all our votes in the DCI basket. Then, next year's top 100 can all be drum corps. :smile:

I wanted to see more "hows" on the DCI proposal. They have great goals listed, but no clear indication how they are going to achieve them. Things like this:

SPOTLIGHT THE PRESENT: Through technology & live interaction, this grant will connect thousands of students & millions of their fans worldwide in exciting new ways.

It sounds great, but how? Isn't this what they've been trying to do for the past umpteen decades? What will they be doing differently with the $500 grand?

• Like 1

I voted for Glassmen, SCV, and DCI... The rest went to real charities

Don't you just love how the only mention of need out side of Drum Corps gets a negative vote. :thumbdown:

Vote for who you want and then help out with a place that deals with real problems..... They could use the help and you might learn something about the real world.

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 3

Don't you just love how the only mention of need out side of Drum Corps gets a negative vote. :thumbdown:

Vote for who you want and then help out with a place that deals with real problems..... They could use the help and you might learn something about the real world.

If the need outside of drum corps was described the way you said it, instead of implying that drum corps are somehow not "real" charities, then perhaps it wouldn't have been given negatives?

By that scale are "real" charities only ones that feed people? Does housing them count as well? Do they have to only address basic needs? How about mentoring programs, they don't provide basic needs, do they count as a "real" charity? How about a local art museum?

Anyway, you see my point. If someone wants to donate outside of drum corps, that's fine...no issue there at all. However, do we have to denigrate drum corp organizations by saying they're not "real" charities to do so?

• Like 1