DCP 'Front Page' Item on the Troopers

Don't most of the "World Class" corps have around 180 members with spare players?

They all come from SOMEWHERE! :doh: The corps could do a much better job of recruiting in state or in tri-state areas and maybe this would NOT be a news item!

Or am I being silly?

I believe alot of those kids were members of the Renegades which lasted from April 1982 till August 1982.

Donny, i remember seeing the birth of the Statesmen, i was only 13 but i remember being completely confused that so many members were well under 21. At the time there were still Jr. corps within spitting distance and i just couldn't comprehend a Sr. corps w/members under 21................Years later, i was fortunate enough (as you know) to have Vince Bruni take me under his wing and i found myself in inner city schools working w/kids that i otherwise would have never known, a few years ago i'm in line at a grocery store and the kid tells me that he's still drumming to this day because of me. I felt like such an a** that i didn't even recognize him.................It's cool to be reading about the "big idea", but there are tons upon tons of American youth that i'm thinking the "big idea" effort might be better spent on.........................................Don't get me wrong, i'm all for "One Music One World" concept but just the other day i'm sitting at a red light and i had my dog in the car w/me and a child on the sidewalk starts pointing at my dog and saying look at the doggie mommie, well, mommie calls him a "fu..... " as....." and an S.O.B..

Don't most of the "World Class" corps have around 180 members with spare players?

They all come from SOMEWHERE! :doh: The corps could do a much better job of recruiting in state or in tri-state areas and maybe this would NOT be a news item!

Or am I being silly?

the limit is 150, but one corps was full last summer

I believe alot of those kids were members of the Renegades which lasted from April 1982 till August 1982.

I'm not sure what your getting at but your probably right. Being from Rochester i could read any number of things into your post.

In Cabs this year we have 2 members from Hawthorne HS and 1 who graduated last year (and has a solo! :worthy:)

this is where I think DCA does it better than DCI. Most DCA corps have a presence in their hometown

I've never been to Thermopolis, Wy. but I have done a parade in Harrison, and Ridgefield Pk.:tongue:

• Like 1

I've never been to Thermopolis, Wy. but I have done a parade in Harrison, and Ridgefield Pk.:tongue:

who has been to Thermopolis?

:tongue:

I know this is about a DCI corps, but I posted it in the DCI Forum and there has been absolutely no reaction. Maybe I should not be surprised. I wonder how my fellow vets and alumni will react. Read on:

DCP 'Front Page' news item: "Casper Junior Makes America's Corps."

I find it ironic and sad that the idea of a single Caper resident, a high school junior who 'made it' into the Troopers, is a news item. It strikes me as a sad commentary as to how the junior drum corps activity has 'evolved.' What does it say about our current 'system' that a kid from Casper being accepted into the Troopers is cause for a news story?

It seems to me this is backwards. Am I the only one? Does anyone else feel as I do? I realize the neighborhood drum corps concept faded away long ago as corps accepted more and more out-of-town members. However, this just seems so odd (and sad) to me that it's actually big news that he has qualified march in the corps that bears the name of the city in which he lives. And from the way I read the article, he is the only one from Casper.

I guess my age is really showing.

When I was writing the brass charts and instructing the Troopers (1968 - 1971), approx. 90% of the membership was from the Casper area. We also had an excellent cadet corps.

Mike Duffy

When I was writing the brass charts and instructing the Troopers (1968 - 1971), approx. 90% of the membership was from the Casper area. We also had an excellent cadet corps.

Mike Duffy

key thing you said was 1968- 1971

a total different world now in ALL aspects....thats the good or bad of it...bottom line

I know this is about a DCI corps, but I posted it in the DCI Forum and there has been absolutely no reaction. Maybe I should not be surprised. I wonder how my fellow vets and alumni will react. Read on:

DCP 'Front Page' news item: "Casper Junior Makes America's Corps."

I find it ironic and sad that the idea of a single Caper resident, a high school junior who 'made it' into the Troopers, is a news item. It strikes me as a sad commentary as to how the junior drum corps activity has 'evolved.' What does it say about our current 'system' that a kid from Casper being accepted into the Troopers is cause for a news story?

It seems to me this is backwards. Am I the only one? Does anyone else feel as I do? I realize the neighborhood drum corps concept faded away long ago as corps accepted more and more out-of-town members. However, this just seems so odd (and sad) to me that it's actually big news that he has qualified march in the corps that bears the name of the city in which he lives. And from the way I read the article, he is the only one from Casper.

I guess my age is really showing.welcome to the club DCA All the way