Hotels in downtown Indy during Finals week

Does anyone know of any Downtown Indianapolis hotels that don't charge an arm and a leg for rooms during DCI Week? The prices on the DCI Website are very high, in my opinion. I have done some calling and have talked with some Hotel staff people. Most of the downtown Indy hotels seem to be "holding the line" on the prices they charge during our annual "convention". Has anyone been able to find any good-excellent hotel deals?

Edited by INSIDETHEFORTY

I know this may not be what you're looking for, but last January I used Priceline's "Name your own price" to get a room at the Sheraton Indianapolis City Centre Hotel for $60 a night for 3 nights (Aug 12-15). I've had great success getting good hotels for cheap that way. The only problem I've ever had is being farther away than I would have liked, but I've never been screwed.

This year we're volunteering, so we won't be needing a hotel. Not sure if that's a good or a bad thing. ;)

PM me if you'd like more info.

Edited by Shamu89

Can't really help because I've only ever stayed in one indy hotel but I can recommend it... the Omni Severin. Great service and very close to the oil can.

tip one... if you stay at the Omni join their loyalty program, free coffee delivered to your room every morning + a few other nice touches.

tip two... don't assume the prices quoted on DCI.org are the cheapest. Last year when looking for a hotel I found that 2 of the 9 hotels available were cheaper than DCI if approached directly.

Priceline is a splendid method. I stayed at the Omni, if memory serves me well, for about $75 for the night (Friday -- semis).

Google "how to beat priceline" for a method of getting closer to the cutoff price. It works best if you're looking for a somewhat or very upscale hotel and the city is reasonable big. Indy meets both qualifications, and I saved $15 over what I was willing to pay per night.

Since the downtown area is fairly small and most of the hotels are concentrated within a few square blocks, I think you'll find that prices are pretty similar from one hotel to the next. Also consider that DCI week is a pretty big event for which hotels can charge premium rates. Don't expect to find any bargains unless you're willing to stay farther from the city center.

Ron, as you are a Greyhound Summer Pass holder, you can sleep for free at the Indy Greyhound/Amtrak station on a bench, just a few blocks from Lucas. If a guard approaches you, just show her/him your pass.

The downtown Indy hotel prices are high, I agree.

I recommend getting out of town -- stay at the comfortable and relaxing Canyon Inn at McCormick's Creek State Park in Spencer. Chambers Smorgasbord has great food one block south of downtown Spencer.

Or, head to the Fantasy Suites in Greenwood, exit 99. It's a hoot. There are themed rooms for your outer space adventures, spaghetti westerns, and dozens of other ideas.

• Like 1

Here i figured the scalpers would be the ones with the nice hotel rooms in indy..

• Like 2

Since the downtown area is fairly small and most of the hotels are concentrated within a few square blocks, I think you'll find that prices are pretty similar from one hotel to the next. Also consider that DCI week is a pretty big event for which hotels can charge premium rates. Don't expect to find any bargains unless you're willing to stay farther from the city center.

DCI has a deal thru the travel bureau, and thus the rates. they charge because they know people want to be close, and you can walk to the Echo Chamber from all of them.

That's said, I'd stay at the Station again and again. Awesome facility, and any hotel that has train cars as hotel rooms is ok with me

DCI has a deal thru the travel bureau, and thus the rates. they charge because they know people want to be close, and you can walk to the Echo Chamber from all of them.

That's said, I'd stay at the Station again and again. Awesome facility, and any hotel that has train cars as hotel rooms is ok with me

Agreed. The Station was VERY nice and very reasonably priced.

Thank you all for your informative, interesting, and yes, amusing comments! I don't plan on sleeping on a bench at the Greyhound Station this August, even though it is an option. Actually, I may be spending some time on Greyhound Station benches during the June and July tour! Wah, Wah, Wah! I have very little money for hotel rooms. Speaking of very little money, I may have a good option for some people in the area of DCI Week, D'town Indy hotels. Check the MarketPlace next week for info

Concerning Priceline's "Name your own Price" option: It's a crapshoot! When using that option, one is putting the choice of Hotels in the hands of Priceline. You may end up at the Embassy Suites, or at the Red Roof Inn, depending on the star levels you selected. You have no real control over which Hotel you end up staying at, and that's the rub. Most people want to be able to choose their Hotel as well as their rooms type! The Priceline "Name your own Price" option does not allow you to do that. While it is true that you can save quite a bit of money by going that way, much of the flexibility you normally have when choosing a Hotel/room is taken away. Trust me, there are better options for those who like to be able to choose. Can you think of any? If so, please, let us know?

Thanks,

Ron Gunn

Edited by INSIDETHEFORTY