Troop2011

Or Troop just had a bad show last night...

One of the great things this season is that it finally appears that the judges are judging the performance on the field, so Troop needs to bring it the rest of the week. We've got a great advantage thanks to Minneapolis, and Troop has to throw down on Saturday.

So, you seem to contradict yourself. You're saying that the judges are judging based on the show any given night, but then you seem to indicate that there is still slotting...otherwise what's the advantage of a higher placement in MN?

So, you seem to contradict yourself. You're saying that the judges are judging based on the show any given night, but then you seem to indicate that there is still slotting...otherwise what's the advantage of a higher placement in MN?

Does the show order for the next big shindig get decided by the MN show?

Does the show order for the next big shindig get decided by the MN show?

Yes. They take the Minn results, and put them in groups of 3, then do a random draw. show order for San Antonio is already set. Spirit got a much better slot than they had in Minn, so it's going to be interesting to see what happens in the battle for 12th.

DCI Southwestern Championship

The Alamodome, San Antonio, Texas

Saturday, July 23

1:30 PM – Gates Open

2:30 PM – Forte

2:47 PM – Genesis

3:04 PM – Revolution

3:21 PM – Pioneer

3:38 PM – Teal Sound

3:55 PM – Cascades

4:12 PM – Mandarins

4:29 PM – Intermission

4:46 PM – Pacific Crest

5:03 PM – Crossmen

5:20 PM – Colts

5:37 PM – The Academy

5:54 PM – Spirit of Atlanta

6:11 PM – Glassmen

6:28 PM – Intermission

7:30 PM – Blue Knights

7:47 PM – Troopers

8:04 PM – Blue Stars

8:21 PM – Boston Crusaders

8:38 PM – Madison Scouts

8:55 PM – Santa Clara Vanguard

9:12 PM – Intermission

9:29 PM – Phantom Regiment

9:46 PM – The Cadets

10:03 PM – Bluecoats

10:20 PM – Blue Devils

10:37 PM – The Cavaliers

10:54 PM – Carolina Crown

Read more: http://www.dci.org/news/view.cfm?news_id=4e86de9c-ae8e-42e7-afff-dfbe1efc3fe2#ixzz1SlHRbJMC

There's always slotting. There will always be slotting. Performance Order Matters.

e: It just seems that it's less prevalent this year, which is good.

If Troop can nail it on Saturday, they'll have a greater shot at a reward from the judges because they're going on after the break. The later you go on in the show, the more room the judges have to assign scores.

Edited by Pinwiz

Yes. They take the Minn results, and put them in groups of 3, then do a random draw. show order for San Antonio is already set. Spirit got a much better slot than they had in Minn, so it's going to be interesting to see what happens in the battle for 12th.

DCI Southwestern Championship

The Alamodome, San Antonio, Texas

Saturday, July 23

1:30 PM – Gates Open

2:30 PM – Forte

2:47 PM – Genesis

3:04 PM – Revolution

3:21 PM – Pioneer

3:38 PM – Teal Sound

3:55 PM – Cascades

4:12 PM – Mandarins

4:29 PM – Intermission

4:46 PM – Pacific Crest

5:03 PM – Crossmen

5:20 PM – Colts

5:37 PM – The Academy

5:54 PM – Spirit of Atlanta

6:11 PM – Glassmen

6:28 PM – Intermission

7:30 PM – Blue Knights

7:47 PM – Troopers

8:04 PM – Blue Stars

8:21 PM – Boston Crusaders

8:38 PM – Madison Scouts

8:55 PM – Santa Clara Vanguard

9:12 PM – Intermission

9:29 PM – Phantom Regiment

9:46 PM – The Cadets

10:03 PM – Bluecoats

10:20 PM – Blue Devils

10:37 PM – The Cavaliers

10:54 PM – Carolina Crown

Read more: http://www.dci.org/news/view.cfm?news_id=4e86de9c-ae8e-42e7-afff-dfbe1efc3fe2#ixzz1SlHRbJMC

That's almost the perfect draw. Hopefully direct comparison with BK won't knock the score down too much. I could see them keeping BK's score down, to allow room for corps above them, and then Troopers being marked down in comparison.

Good show tonight, Troop! This show is filled with musical subtlety, which is both a pro and a con. They have to sell it to make it work. I felt it tonight, but they need more to sell it to everyone else. I'm an easy sell for musical subtlety. :tongue:

Brass is very balanced, there are no "heroes" playing out, and they have good stamina already. Percussion book is SWEET. We need to clean it. The two together are excellent. Truly beautiful. I think some observers find it hard to hear/see difficulty because we're not using some of the standard/current tricks of the trade to highlight them, IMO. They are folded into the show as a whole.

It's hard to be up against SoA. First, it's a much edgier show, emotionally. They have several tense impact moments, which plays better to audiences right now. Kudos to SoA for having a show that is strong and has a lot of emotion that is all its own. So I expect we're going to hear drum corps fans all year long wondering what the heck is going on.

So, we're going to see a lot of flip-flopping this year. This is good - it's the judges doing a "what we see/hear is what you get" instead of a "well, you were 2 pts above so and so last week with a different panel under different circumstances, so we'll take that into account." This is throwing everyone for a loop, but I like it. :thumbup:

• Like 3

Good show tonight, Troop! This show is filled with musical subtlety, which is both a pro and a con. They have to sell it to make it work. I felt it tonight, but they need more to sell it to everyone else. I'm an easy sell for musical subtlety. :tongue:

Brass is very balanced, there are no "heroes" playing out, and they have good stamina already. Percussion book is SWEET. We need to clean it. The two together are excellent. Truly beautiful. I think some observers find it hard to hear/see difficulty because we're not using some of the standard/current tricks of the trade to highlight them, IMO. They are folded into the show as a whole.

It's hard to be up against SoA. First, it's a much edgier show, emotionally. They have several tense impact moments, which plays better to audiences right now. Kudos to SoA for having a show that is strong and has a lot of emotion that is all its own. So I expect we're going to hear drum corps fans all year long wondering what the heck is going on.

So, we're going to see a lot of flip-flopping this year. This is good - it's the judges doing a "what we see/hear is what you get" instead of a "well, you were 2 pts above so and so last week with a different panel under different circumstances, so we'll take that into account." This is throwing everyone for a loop, but I like it. :thumbup:

I am really rooting for you guys this year! In 1985, when I was 15...the Troopers were the very first corps I saw....I fell in love with drum corps ever since....I literally cried when they made finals in 2009 and I'm not one to usually get emotional about stuff....It just reminded me so much about how long it took Boston to make finals...and was such a very emotional moment for me personaly...Best of luck for a great year and a strong finish to Indy... :smile:

Edited by Liahona
  • Like 2

The numbers in the recap are not what I'm used to seeing. 9th in brass, 10th in percussion, 6th in music ensemble. Is that "call it like it is?" or judges watching different shows? The only way I can read it is "Dear Troopers. You play pretty badly, but your book is so easy that it's clean."

• Like 2