2011 Prediction Thread!

sorry, this bothered me.

if all the scores are 2 weeks old, wouldnt that make them relative? they are just lower scores than normal going in to prelims.

only 2 corps in open class were not out last weekend, gades and empire. they are the only 2 corps that are not where they should be.

They would be relative to 2 weeks ago, and in the contexts of the competition that they were given. The NE competed against each other and the Midwest competed against each other in separate competitions but not head to head. Since nobody will have been seen for 2 weeks the prelim judges will be under the gun to make the first relative call with all corps competing head to head and with 2 weeks of work under their belts and because of the hurricane maybe less.

To be honest even if the shows went on this week it would only be "slightly relative" since MBI would not have gotten a number but did have a full weekend to practice so who know what they really would have had, and if it was head to head with the NE corps than that maybe different than in their own region.

Relative numbers are only relative if ALL competitive aspects are equal. So take the current numbers (at least for this year) for what they are. Merely a method to determine line of march, no more or no less.

They would be relative to 2 weeks ago, and in the contexts of the competition that they were given. The NE competed against each other and the Midwest competed against each other in separate competitions but not head to head. Since nobody will have been seen for 2 weeks the prelim judges will be under the gun to make the first relative call with all corps competing head to head and with 2 weeks of work under their belts and because of the hurricane maybe less.

To be honest even if the shows went on this week it would only be "slightly relative" since MBI would not have gotten a number but did have a full weekend to practice so who know what they really would have had, and if it was head to head with the NE corps than that maybe different than in their own region.

Relative numbers are only relative if ALL competitive aspects are equal. So take the current numbers (at least for this year) for what they are. Merely a method to determine line of march, no more or no less.

OK so relative to two weeks ago is still relative. Or as relative as they can be with different shows. I think this year is going to be the most accurate year in DCA. The east corps dont get that extra jump in score over the midwest and south. So most everyone is going into prelims with two week old scores. Nothing should change in the way judges judge. They give the score based on what is in front of them, not what happened two weeks ago.

Unfair to the east coast corps? well...depends on how you look at it. They dont get a score but they should get more practice in than they otherwise would have (pending how bad the weather is of course).

Advantage to the midwest and south corps? No. They will rehearse the way they were going to either way. They may go on in a different slot than they otherwise would have but if the judges do their job, performance order should not matter.

but in any case, I thought this option was used more recently than the 1970's,....... :blink:

Nope.

Ok, let's get back to the predictions. I predict since we've already had a earthquake and a hurricane, next weekend will be excellent weather-wise and Championships will be a blast.

• Like 2

I would worry about putting 2 shows together and not what the stats and historical relevance are. Especially since an act of God assured that none of the NE corps were able to post a number and have any type of relative score for prelims. At this stage ALL numbers are 2 weeks old and have no bearing on prelims except to schedule order of appearance, and everyone in the top 5 will be judged on the show they give Saturday night.

And if the Bucs were not to win prelims and then that someone couldn't finish the job the next night the Bucs would spend little time mourning the loss of an undefeated streak and celebrating another title.

Honestly, I think the scores are more relevant, because it is the score that everyone got on the same night... as opposed to a handul of northeastern corps getting a score to boost them higher for prelims.

... I actually think this is MORE accurate.

Ok, let's get back to the predictions. I predict since we've already had a earthquake and a hurricane, next weekend will be excellent weather-wise and Championships will be a blast.

What Frank said!!!! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Ok, new predictions for me based on trends (both this year and past):

Open Class:

Buccaneers

Minnesota Brass

Empire Statesmen

Caballeros (I feel like they have the momentum and are cleaning up)

Alliance (I could see 4-6 being in any order)

Hurricanes

Renegades

Corpsvets

Kilties

Tampa Bay Thunder

Class A:

Fusion Core

Govenaires

Carolina Gold

Windsor Regiment

Top 10:

Buccaneers

Minnesota Brass

Empire Statesmen

Caballeros

Alliance

Hurricanes

Renegades

Corpsvets

Fusion Core

Govenaires

4-6 will be interesting, as I think those three corps have weaknesses:

Cabs-Percussion

Alliance-Guard

Hurcs-Brass

With that being said, the order is going to go to whoever has less of a weakness. Obviously, Hurcs brass has been scoring well, but I think they will place behind both Cabs and Alliance in that caption by the end of the weekend. The question is whether or not the Cabs and Alliance can clean up their weaknesses. Of course, I am sure their staff members are hard at work on that.

What is exciting is that there is compelling competition throughout the ranks this year... as opposed to past years.

I predict road construction on the way and in Rachacha

• Like 1

So let me get this strait? U think that Hurricanes are going to drop out of the top 5 this season? wow. That is a bold prediction. Please share how you logically came to that conclution???That would be interesting but I do not see it happening. They would have to drop almost 8 points for that to happen.

I've not seen any corps outside the top 5 that are executing their show clean enough to break into the top 5. Further more the top 5 have some consistency in ALL captions across tHe board.

Recaps give us a road map follow.

I think the judges have the spreads about where they want them and fwiw I think Thayer are probably more representative of the activity as in years past. Probably more accurate too.

I think if anything the top 5 corps will pull away a little more from the bottom of the pack. Not much but some. One of the reasons I site this is field coverage. THE top 5 corps will seem notably larger and cover more of the field accelerating the visual scores once the judges see them all on a given weekend. Further more from what I have seen and had reported to me they are doing things much cleaner.Add all of that up and I think u can only come to one conclusion ,

Edited by camel lips