Elevated Blue Stars

if they ever get a microburst preceding a storm while on that scaffolding, they are gonna find themselves flying through the air...

I will mention some things that I mentioned in another post about this picture.

The guy who made this is the same one who made the magic crates last year. He is a master woodworker and darn good at just about everything else.

The platforms have large, rubber wheels that don't move unless pushed by force, so it will not roll away.

There are guard railings.

The bridges between scaffoldings are about 2 feet wide, and there are two of them along each other to make a total bridge 4 feet wide, with C-clamps clamping them together, so that when you walk on them they don't bend under the weight. They are solid.

They also connect the different sections together by straps, so that the sections don't wobble, sway, move apart, etc.

The corps has been using these props for 2 weeks without incident.

No single person is on the ramp for more than 1.5 mins.

No one runs up or down the ramps. Sometimes the march quickly off, but they are told to use caution.

They may even put down some kind of adhesive rubber to further the grip on the ramps.

Generally speaking, the ramp is as safe and secure as possible.

That doesn't mean that someone may not be blown off by a large wind gust, but seeing as how they've used them in 15-20mph winds already, we haven't had an issue - but Howard Wienstein, the music director, is protective of his kids, and so is Frank, the brass/visual guy. - if so much as a drop falls from the sky, he makes them stop. I'm sure if they feel the weather is unsafe to use the ramp, they will cut it out of the program that day.

They will also be getting backdrop canvasses to cover the ramp. I am not going to tell you what it will look like, you will have to come out and see for yourself! We haven't gotten them yet as far as I know. So for now I think they will just be using black tarp.

• Like 3

I will mention some things that I mentioned in another post about this picture.

The guy who made this is the same one who made the magic crates last year. He is a master woodworker and darn good at just about everything else.

The platforms have large, rubber wheels that don't move unless pushed by force, so it will not roll away.

There are guard railings.

The bridges between scaffoldings are about 2 feet wide, and there are two of them along each other to make a total bridge 4 feet wide, with C-clamps clamping them together, so that when you walk on them they don't bend under the weight. They are solid.

They also connect the different sections together by straps, so that the sections don't wobble, sway, move apart, etc.

The corps has been using these props for 2 weeks without incident.

No single person is on the ramp for more than 1.5 mins.

No one runs up or down the ramps. Sometimes the march quickly off, but they are told to use caution.

They may even put down some kind of adhesive rubber to further the grip on the ramps.

Generally speaking, the ramp is as safe and secure as possible.

That doesn't mean that someone may not be blown off by a large wind gust, but seeing as how they've used them in 15-20mph winds already, we haven't had an issue - but Howard Wienstein, the music director, is protective of his kids, and so is Frank, the brass/visual guy. - if so much as a drop falls from the sky, he makes them stop. I'm sure if they feel the weather is unsafe to use the ramp, they will cut it out of the program that day.

They will also be getting backdrop canvasses to cover the ramp. I am not going to tell you what it will look like, you will have to come out and see for yourself! We haven't gotten them yet as far as I know. So for now I think they will just be using black tarp.

I dunno. On turf I think it wouldn't be as big as an issue big on regular grass, which can be wet and or have holes and bumps etc.. IMHO, while it's cool, I just don't see where I would (personally)place kids and/or young adults in that position for the sake of art or visual score. The cost/risk IMHO is just too great to get somebody either hurt bad or killed. If that were my kid I would have to pull him/her...but that is me.

• Like 2

Yep, reminds me of these walk-up platforms Branson High School Band had in Missouri around 2000. They had lawsuits pending for years after a little incident in Huntsville, Arkansas.

While not the same design--check out Freelancers 1985 for a similar effect/design.

I dunno. On turf I think it wouldn't be as big as an issue big on regular grass, which can be wet and or have holes and bumps etc.. IMHO, while it's cool, I just don't see where I would (personally)place kids and/or young adults in that position for the sake of art or visual score. The cost/risk IMHO is just too great to get somebody either hurt bad or killed. If that were my kid I would have to pull him/her...but that is me.

Seriously? You would pull your kid from tour because of this? They have a better chance of breaking their leg jazz running then they do getting hurt on this thing... :blink:

As a vet of this corps I can say that the Blue Stars keep their members 100% safe at all times. They wouldn't do it if it wasn't safe.

• Like 1

Seriously? You would pull your kid from tour because of this? They have a better chance of breaking their leg jazz running then they do getting hurt on this thing... :blink:

As a vet of this corps I can say that the Blue Stars keep their members 100% safe at all times. They wouldn't do it if it wasn't safe.

It's all about perspective. You're likely marching age and the OP is a parent. Take it as concern and love for their kid. Of course, if the "kid" isn't a kid, but an adult.... Yea...

Just realize that there is love and concern in there....

It's all about perspective. You're likely marching age and the OP is a parent. Take it as concern and love for their kid. Of course, if the "kid" isn't a kid, but an adult.... Yea...

Just realize that there is love and concern in there....

Not quite marching age anymore and I am a teacher so I have a better understanding than one would think. I understand the love for their kid thing, its just the thought that this world class corps would put its members in danger is ridiculous.

• Like 2

Not quite marching age anymore and I am a teacher so I have a better understanding than one would think. I understand the love for their kid thing, its just the thought that this world class corps would put its members in danger is ridiculous.

We're ALL human, so mistakes can happen.

You know, people in authority make mistakes ALL the time.

Risk Analysis is only as good as the people coming up with the perceived risks. Something can be missed.

I'm sure people have brain stormed more now than ever! thumbup.gif

The slip grips idea is a good one! thumbup.gif

• Like 1