wildwood

God I love the day after the first show of the season!

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

As a Sunriser alum, I don't think I've ever been as proud of my old corps... even during their great run of the late 1970s through the 1980s, or any of their comeback years in recent times... as I was on Saturday.

I hope the full story is told someday... but the current version of the Sunrisers is a corps that is really going back to the roots of the activity, taking young people off some tough streets in the part of Long Island where the corps is now based. Among other things, I was told one story of one of the "new" Sunrisers.... that it was basically a choice of him either being in the corps, or being recruited by a local gang.

I watched the corps rehearse Saturday. The members are disciplined, tough, enthusiastic and smart.

Of course they are behind right now on the scoresheets... and they do have a lot of work to do to narrow the gap between them and the top Class A corps this season. But honestly, and I know it sounds like a worn-out cliche... I don't care where they place this season.

It certainly seems that if they can hold onto a nucleus of their current membership, they can start to build a base of "battle-tested" young veterans that will help the corps grow and prosper in the future.

Hats off to Gary Williams, Nat Mazyck and the rest of the Sunrisers' management, show staff and support staff for their hard work and determination, as they look to get this great, historic corps back on the field and established as an active member of the Long Island community. They... and the current members of the corps... are true-blue Sunrisers, without question.

• Like 3

As a Sunriser alum, I don't think I've ever been as proud of my old corps... even during their great run of the late 1970s through the 1980s, or any of their comeback years in recent times... as I was on Saturday.

I hope the full story is told someday... but the current version of the Sunrisers is a corps that is really going back to the roots of the activity, taking young people off some tough streets in the part of Long Island where the corps is now based. Among other things, I was told one story of one of the "new" Sunrisers.... that it was basically a choice of him either being in the corps, or being recruited by a local gang.

I watched the corps rehearse Saturday. The members are disciplined, tough, enthusiastic and smart.

Of course they are behind right now on the scoresheets... and they do have a lot of work to do to narrow the gap between them and the top Class A corps this season. But honestly, and I know it sounds like a worn-out cliche... I don't care where they place this season.

It certainly seems that if they can hold onto a nucleus of their current membership, they can start to build a base of "battle-tested" young veterans that will help the corps grow and prosper in the future.

Hats off to Gary Williams, Nat Mazyck and the rest of the Sunrisers' management, show staff and support staff for their hard work and determination, as they look to get this great, historic corps back on the field and established as an active member of the Long Island community. They... and the current members of the corps... are true-blue Sunrisers, without question.

hear hear! Well said! :worthy:

duplicate post

Edited by camel lips

wowie zowie what a spread!

Not as much as you would think.

Lets compare the two based on a 5 year span at Wildwood. Both corps are basically within 1.5 points of a 5 year average.Bucs basically picked up 1.5 points at this years show where Cabs lost ground to the tune of 1.5 points. NOT A HUGE SPREAD!!!!!

Historical scores for Buccaneers Wildwood

2010 80.538

2009 76.438

2008 76.863

2007 75.988

2006 76.788

= 386.615 divided by 5 = 77.323

They got a 79.05 in 2011. +1.7 spread

Pretty close to the Cabs Spread based on a 5 year analysis of historic scores.

2006 Cabs 74.538

2007 Cabs 74.463

2008 Cabs 72.800

2009 Cabs 72.713

2010 Cabs 75.363

369.877 Divided by 5 = 73.9754

Cabs got a 72.55 in 2011 a spread of -1.4254

Bucs Gained a little on their 5 year average where Cabs slipped a little on their 5 year average.

Having a complete show may or may not have factored into the Cabs slipping a little bit. Where Bucs having a complete show may or may not have factored into them gaining on their 5 year average.

If nothing else it was fun compiling these stats and presenting them. For whatever value they may or may not have depending on your position and or side in the matter.

Edited by camel lips

Alot of talk on what Cabs DIDN"T DO..that's all well and good and I'm sure they will do what they need to to be competitive this season BUT maybe lets talk about how ready Bucs were.. You have to give credit when everything is on the line to repeat their successes and not just keep up with other competators but at this point compete with themselves and what they have done. This is a true champion for sure ( not saying others aren't champions..lol ) I'm sure they suffered some of the same slow winters , money, attendance as others but manage to be done and ready, at least for a first show.

Congrats Bucs, I wasn't sure with this theme you would pull it off ( such a theme can excell a group or bury one ) But seems like you have succeeded so far................Just a note.......a few friends who saw cabs really liked guard uniforms....if joes team from A Wish Come True did them I'm not surprised.

• Like 1

Alot of talk on what Cabs DIDN"T DO..that's all well and good and I'm sure they will do what they need to to be competitive this season

Let me expand on this by adding something positive.

Clearly the Cabs are alive and well and on track to another successful season.

NOT EVERY CORPS CAN SAY THAT.

• Like 1

It's been a tough winter for most everyone due to weather and economy. Corps sizes may be smaller all around this year.

Ill agree 100% with that statement.

I have factual basis that leads me to believe that at least 2 top ten open class corps that usually field between 40- 50 brass are writing drill for 26-32 brass based on actual attendance records and perceived future recruitment efforts. Expect to see two of them to be much leaner,,,and hopefully meaner in 2011.

With that said it appears where some corps are struggling others are thriving. Clearly Bucs and Cabs are on track based on historical scores. All of the CLass A corps turned in very good numbers over the weekend and clearly they will be going head to head all season long. It sounds like new corps like Windsor, TBT and Arkansas Thunder are on steady ground and fielding this summer.

Lots to be positive about.

All corps weren't bad considering the first show jitters. It was hard watching the Sunrisers after seeing so many great shows back in the day.

The Cabs also didn't look good. Their show was just a ho hum show from the past, and with only 4 snare drummers it was really hard to take. Especially when the Cabs alumni had a full legion of percussion, that although playing a strictly rudimental show, did play well and most of all,entertained the auddience as did the rest of the corps.

Let me begin with my disclaimer right up front -- I am a fan of Sun and Cabs. I have old ties to both -- one of my early instructors was a Sunriser drummer. I have had many friends march there and several drummers I taught also played there. I have even stronger ties to Hawthorne than Sun (see my signature), but nevertheless feel very strongly about the comments made here about both corps.

I feel like Fran Haring and several others, that is was good to see the Sunrisers simply make it onto the field again. At a time when we are losing corps, others have been trying to get on the field but can't return to competition, and yet others must pull out of the first show, I'm happy they were even there. They showed up, performed, were scored, and now have feedback to work on improving their show. They have a corps on the field. Not everyone can say that. Can they be better? Of course. But they have a nucleus to begin rebuilding this once-proud organization.

As for the Cabs, they performed 90 to 95% of a new show, with many new members. They made it to their 65th season, they were there to compete, they were good, but not great - yet! -- but they too now have the judges' feedback to use as they work to complete and polish their show. That's why there's a whole season, not just one contest a year. Been there many times with them (in another life!) and I know they will improve significantly. They always do.

At first I was flattered by the comments about my Alumni Corps drum section, but coloradocorps has made me look at them in a new light. I wouldn't say our book is strictly rudimental but of course it primarily is a rudimental show. As an alumni corps, what else would anyone, especially our fans, expect? We seek to re-create the corps shows of our memories and that is what entertains the audiences so well, as you acknowledged. I see nothing wrong with that. I am very proud of the section we put on the field last night. Furthermore, they love what they do out there, and isn't that what drum corps is all about?

I hope everyone has a great season.

Edited by cabalumnidrummer

Very mice post Fran.I grew up listening to the 1960's Sunriser records, A true historic drum corps that the DCA needs back!

I'll try to have my review up tonight.