wildwood

Dear Mr. Reason....

While I apprecaite your comments, I DO believe you are WAY off base....

We have 11 more weeks to clean our show.....not as short as you might think. Our show IS done, just some catching up to do in ceratin areas of the corps that are just not quite there yet. I will say it again....in some people's eyes this may look like a problem, but NOT to the members of this corps. We are focused, determined, and can't wait to present the full show, which we will in Bridgeport! Come to the show, check us out, and then form your opinion and let us know if we have "problems".

We KNOW what we have to do, and it WILL get done....PERIOD!

That is all I am going to say on this subject....

Have a great week everyone....see you all in Bridgeport!

Apologies if my first post sounded a tad "harsh". I based my comments on the assumption that the Cabs always have winning the championship (and dethroning the Bucs) as their top priority. And while there may be 11 weeks to tweak the program, how many more head to heads will Cabs have vs. Bucs till finals? Coming out for the first meeting with an incomplete show and finding yourselves 7 points back (and yes, I DO believe in slotting) is a problem based on my assumption. Someone posted earlier in this thread with a breakdown of Cabs first show scores from approx. 2006 to the present and seemed to think they could spot a trend. The only trend I could spot is that Cabs started each season with scores in the mid 70's and failed to win the championship. Not a trend I'm assuming the Cabs wish to repeat. All the best to you and the Cabs!

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

As a Sunriser alum, I don't think I've ever been as proud of my old corps... even during their great run of the late 1970s through the 1980s, or any of their comeback years in recent times... as I was on Saturday.

I hope the full story is told someday... but the current version of the Sunrisers is a corps that is really going back to the roots of the activity, taking young people off some tough streets in the part of Long Island where the corps is now based. Among other things, I was told one story of one of the "new" Sunrisers.... that it was basically a choice of him either being in the corps, or being recruited by a local gang.

I watched the corps rehearse Saturday. The members are disciplined, tough, enthusiastic and smart.

Of course they are behind right now on the scoresheets... and they do have a lot of work to do to narrow the gap between them and the top Class A corps this season. But honestly, and I know it sounds like a worn-out cliche... I don't care where they place this season.

It certainly seems that if they can hold onto a nucleus of their current membership, they can start to build a base of "battle-tested" young veterans that will help the corps grow and prosper in the future.

Hats off to Gary Williams, Nat Mazyck and the rest of the Sunrisers' management, show staff and support staff for their hard work and determination, as they look to get this great, historic corps back on the field and established as an active member of the Long Island community. They... and the current members of the corps... are true-blue Sunrisers, without question.

i'm with you fran...you should be proud! sun has nothing but potential with what?...2,3,4 million people on long island to build their corps!!! the sun will rise again :thumbup:

• Like 2

i'm with you fran...you should be proud! sun has nothing but potential with what?...2,3,4 million people on long island to build their corps!!! the sun will rise again :thumbup:

I know Sun is looking forward to the pending delivery of a new set of brass instruments. The horn line played Saturday on a hodgepodge of instruments... a matched set will help them continue to improve their sound.

Carolina Gold would like to thank all of the wonderful people in Wildwood for their hospitality! The crowd was great and we feel that all of the Corps had a terrific opening day!

We would like to thank the Raiders and the Cabs Alumni for a fantastic exhibition ending to a great evening.

We will look forward to seeing many of you in July at Shenandoah's show and in the line-up for the Independence Day parades.

Best Regards!

Someone posted earlier in this thread with a breakdown of Cabs first show scores from approx. 2006 to the present and seemed to think they could spot a trend. The only trend I could spot is that Cabs started each season with scores in the mid 70's and failed to win the championship. Not a trend I'm assuming the Cabs wish to repeat. All the best to you and the Cabs!

[/Quote]

In response to the trend you mentioned, I too saw the post with the Cabs starting scores since 06. I responded to that very post by reporting Cabs starting score in 2003 as a 71.275 and finishing that year in 1st place with a 97.375.

My point- starting scores mean NOTHING! That year Cabs starting score was lower than this year and they still came back with the win. What matters is how hard they, and any other corps, work during the next 11 weeks to clean and improve their show.

• Like 1

I posted my review over in the "reviews" section. Click this link to get there faster.

In response to the trend you mentioned, I too saw the post with the Cabs starting scores since 06. I responded to that very post by reporting Cabs starting score in 2003 as a 71.275 and finishing that year in 1st place with a 97.375.

The difference is that in 2003 the Cabs were slotted in first place after the inaugural contest.

wowie zowie what a spread! i never thought it would be that big. what am i missing? are the bucs that good or do cabs have a lot of problems?

Why would the two have to be mutually exclusive? I'm guessing that, once again, the Bucs have used their "secret magic" and entered the season a lot more prepared than the competition with a well thought out show. It's the worst kept secret in DCA, that is design a great show, get finished on time and have a full corps at the start of the season. Actually pulling this off, a little tougher.

Having read the reviews, I am glad to hear that the Bucs show sounds like a barnburner. They have earned the right to have some fun. Maybe the fans in Rochester will give them a little more love this year? As for Cabs, its long been time to branch out of the Spanish Fantasy/Malaguena world. It's just not working like it used to. I know alot of Cabs fans will cringe at this thought, but just take a look at the last 6 or 7 seasons. The only time they have come close to beating the Bucs was when they played a Carmen show. Not a far throw from their tradition, but different enough to make them a contender. Do more like that one. :blink:

I'll be interested to see how things shake out in Lewisburg. Pretty brave move for MBI to go head to head with Bucs in mid-season. But that's what you have to do if you want to do battle with the champ. I'm also sure that prelims will be the biggest toss-up we have seen in many years. Alliance & CorpVets have a good shot at the elusive Top 5. Hurcs, Empire and Cabs will have their work cut out for them to hang on! Kilties & Tampa Bay will be a threat to Bush & Renegades for the Top 10. That's the kind of competition we all want to see!!! :thumbup:

Ya know I see some people doom and glooming the Cabs for being behind and small. Reminds me of 97. ###### if they didn't win prelims and almost finals

• Like 1