wildwood

2009 was my first year to see the ne corps earlry in the season. It was the Bridgeport show. I thought to myself that the cabs looked dirty as hack. By finals they had cleaned it up a lot and turned in a respectable number. So no one start the gloom and doom of the cabs. They are well on the way to being in the hunt yet again.

• Like 1

The talk of "Will Cabs catch Bucs" is all well and good, but I think the more interesting nugget from last night, and the question on my mind, is "Are Carolina and Fusion really that close to Cabs"? In years past, I don't remember the Class As being even that close to Reading (within 9 points). Will this be the year one of the class As breaks into the top 10? Will know more surely from the recaps, but any thoughts from the people that were there?

Scores were up last night. I checked after returning from Wildwood around 1:30 AM but their were no recaps and they still were not posted as of Sunday at 1:00 PM.

All corps weren't bad considering the first show jitters. It was hard watching the Sunrisers after seeing so many great shows back in the day.

The Cabs also didn't look good. Their show was just a ho hum show from the past, and with only 4 snare drummers it was really hard to take. Especially when the Cabs alumni had a full legion of percussion, that although playing a strictly rudimental show, did play well and most of all,entertained the auddience as did the rest of the corps. Soloists Kurt Hawkins, and George Hadley were almost at mid season form. You cant call them trumpet solos as Kurt still uses a 2 valve bugle and George is using a "G" horn. A very fine performance

The Reading Buccaneers have another Bobby Jones signature drill that never stops, and again their choice of music was very good, playing a semi classical show that was very recognizable. Rich Hammond's drum line again cooks up another barn burner with a "killer pit." Again the Bucs are to be delt with.

Talk about lack of respect for the past and claiming 'knowledge'of percussion -NOT. You drop a snide remark about Cabs Alumni 'playing a strictly rudimental show' - are you serious - you don't think rudiments are challenging nor fit the music ? Hey guy - try getting over your hangover before you post anything. When you trash the past - you show your total ignorance of the activity and its roots.

Talk about lack of respect for the past and claiming 'knowledge'of percussion -NOT. You drop a snide remark about Cabs Alumni 'playing a strictly rudimental show' - are you serious - you don't think rudiments are challenging nor fit the music ? Hey guy - try getting over your hangover before you post anything. When you trash the past - you show your total ignorance of the activity and its roots.

i personally will take rudimental drumming evrey day of the week. in my opinion it is and always will be what drumming is all about. but in this day and age you can't march that fast and with the drill the corps do now and do much rudiments. it just can't be done. not a knock on anybody. it's just to fast a pace to do them.

I don't think the "will Cabs catch Bucs" conversation or the "why were Class A corps that close to Cabs" conversation are relevant at this point. It's been stated a few times that Cabs took a drop from their normal starting score by standing still for the last minute or so of the show. I would say it's wise to hold all criticism until Bridgeport where hopefully the full show will be on the field and it will be against the Bucs, Hurcs, and Bush (I believe).

And to Drumbo- of course it's a Ho Hum show if it's not finished. Also, I heard much more original music than repeats from the past, especially the Balad.

I don't think the "will Cabs catch Bucs" conversation or the "why were Class A corps that close to Cabs" conversation are relevant at this point. It's been stated a few times that Cabs took a drop from their normal starting score by standing still for the last minute or so of the show. I would say it's wise to hold all criticism until Bridgeport where hopefully the full show will be on the field and it will be against the Bucs, Hurcs, and Bush (I believe).

And to Drumbo- of course it's a Ho Hum show if it's not finished. Also, I heard much more original music than repeats from the past, especially the Balad.

But the Cabs not being done wouldn't explain why the 2 top Class As were less than 9 pts away from Bucs...trying to steer the conversation AWAY from Cabs to the other corps there...:thumbup:

Not

I guess it depends on what ur definition of being in the hunt means. Mine is that theyare in the hunt for a top 5 finish.

Hey Guys,

I normally dont comment on things like this, however, I wanted to say despite the scores all the shows I saw were enjoyable to me (I only saw the end part of Bucks form the sideline and everyone else from the stands after I preformed.) There is a lot of time for everyone to clean up their shows It promises to be a close season. I believe that at this point in time, the Cabs, Bucks, Fusion, Gold discussion holds little water this early in the season. Only time will tell, maybe we will get a better read on the season when these four corps march against each again at Toms River, and in Reading. :)

Dustin W.

God I love the day after the first show of the season!

• Like 1