Did DCI inadvertently post the scores?

I wish I could hear what's going on in the emergency DCI staff meeting right now.

:shutup::blink::blink::shutup:

I hope it wasn't the same poor lady who screwed the pooch on the Alamodome last year... :tongue:

• Like 1

If these scores are true, then the DCI judges should be shot. I was at both shows and there is no way that SCV should be anywhere but 8th. Without their percussion, I thought they would be struggling this year to make finals. Blue Stars are definitely 2-3 levels better than they were last season as all of the reviews have noted and most reviewers have them 5th or 6th. What is with these judges? Are they incapable of judging the actual performances on the field? Were they even in the same town as the rest of us who witnessed these two nights?

I probably wouldn't have said it so harshly, but I agree.

• Like 4

If these scores are true, then the DCI judges should be shot. I was at both shows and there is no way that SCV should be anywhere but 8th. Without their percussion, I thought they would be struggling this year to make finals. Blue Stars are definitely 2-3 levels better than they were last season as all of the reviews have noted and most reviewers have them 5th or 6th. What is with these judges? Are they incapable of judging the actual performances on the field? Were they even in the same town as the rest of us who witnessed these two nights?

We'll see how things play out... a lot of times, especially not at the very top, placements tend to be very similar to the prior year, and then movement starts to happen over the next several shows.

We'll see how things play out... a lot of times, especially not at the very top, placements tend to be very similar to the prior year, and then movement starts to happen over the next several shows.

I agree over the long term it doesn't matter too much. However, in the short term, there is a fair amount of evidence that the judges are not judging what they see on the field, and therefore, the numbers at the end of the season are not based on 1 run in August, but rather judges are taking into account things outside of the 11 minutes on the field, to come up with their numbers.

To me, this is an issue. If a corps craps the bed one night, I want to see them drop some points and placements. If they hit a homerun, there is no reason they shouldn't be able to jump the corps in front of them, on a show by show basis.

It is the same with corps staff explaining the shows to the judges so the judges will "understand" and thus give them more points.

• Like 4

I would be the first to admit I don't scrutinize the corps as closely as a judge, but I too am baffled if SCV beats Blue Stars. At least from the eyeball test, Blue Stars had the look and sound of a top 6 corps. SCV seemed more in "work in progress" mode.

Mike

• Like 4

Regardless of whether or not these scores are real, lower starting scores are better. The last couple years DCI judges have boxed themselves in with scores starting too high. As a result there have been corps whose scores stay basically the same from Atlanta to finals even though the corps got very noticeably better. Corps should not be approaching their scoring cap two weeks before the end of the season when they will almost certainly continue to improve. Bad numbers management IMHO from the very beginning. But once the scores start off too high there isn't a whole lot that can be done, other then having stagnant periods where the scores don't change much, and there still be healthy margins between corps that are obviously not in the same "neighborhood".

I agree that in the past few years the scores have started very high leaving the judges little room. I also have complained that the judging has been less about what the judge actually saw that particular night, and more of what he expects to see. Corps should continue to improve as the season goes along. BUT COME ON............when corps begin adding new stuff it is going to take a few performances for it to "gel". But you rarely do scores indicate such a thing. Oh well......it is what it is!

I added that later thinking the scores might be removed. Sorry you saw them.

I will take them out of the first post and place them here.

1 The Cavaliers 74.325 0

2 Blue Devils 73.300 -1

3 Carolina Crown 72.625 -2

4 The Cadets 71.825 -3

5 Bluecoats 69.525 -4

6 Phantom Regiment 69.525 -4

7 Santa Clara Vanguard 67.975 -6

8 Blue Stars 65.475 -7

Can't say I'm not surprised seeing the results, if those are accurate. I would have put Cadets over Crown, but Bluecoats starting below 70 is a bit worrisome. They are a dirty mess right now, though.

I would be the first to admit I don't scrutinize the corps as closely as a judge, but I too am baffled if SCV beats Blue Stars. At least from the eyeball test, Blue Stars had the look and sound of a top 6 corps. SCV seemed more in "work in progress" mode.

Mike

Hmm, do you guys feel that reputation plays a role in how judges score?

Hmm, do you guys feel that reputation plays a role in how judges score?

Yes

• Like 1

whatever the scores will be happy to see the show....side comment, over the last 4-5 years i've always felt the first 3 shows the blue devils are beatable....but the never had this level of comp. before....but once mid july comes they turn the corner in execution...but would be nice to have a summer of all the corps beating each other