Your Theater Experience

Just to put this out there for those who lack creativity and any knowledge on sexuality and gender. It is extremely disrespectful to bash a corps and or person for not wearing "gender specific" clothes. If your way too close minded/homophobic and don't want to see "crossdressers" as you call it don't ever leave your house. There are all kinds of people who march in corps nowadays and they express themselves however they want off and sometimes on the field. There is no reason for you to not wanna write a review on corps x or dislike corps x's show because of your oppressive conservative outlook. its not 1950 anymore. people have the freedom to wear whatever they want.

• Like 5

Just to put this out there for those who lack creativity and any knowledge on sexuality and gender. It is extremely disrespectful to bash a corps and or person for not wearing "gender specific" clothes. If your way too close minded/homophobic and don't want to see "crossdressers" as you call it don't ever leave your house. There are all kinds of people who march in corps nowadays and they express themselves however they want off and sometimes on the field. There is no reason for you to not wanna write a review on corps x or dislike corps x's show because of your oppressive conservative outlook. its not 1950 anymore. people have the freedom to wear whatever they want.

It is 2011. It is still creepy.

• Like 3

you are taking this wayyyy too seriously, don't be so sensitive. If they did a show about ru paul and dressed her up like the brawny paper towel man, I think people would complain as well. One of my best friends is gay, and in fact made more 'closed minded/homophobic' comments regarding that costuming than I did....

but maybe it's just because we lack creativity and any knowledge on sexuality and gender.

no its creepy to have old men in the stands drooling over/making erotic statements about members of a corps whos less than half their age. this goes on all the time. dislike that, not a top someone is wearing.

that... I agree with.

Edited by general_tsos_chicken2

My review:

Blue Devils

I may be the only non-honk here that loves this show. The music is beautiful, and I think the props will be very effective when they're not blowing in the wind. I was really drawn to the houses; they looked quite striking and surreal, kind of like they were glowing or they were in 3-D and coming out of the movie screen. Can't explain it. Last year, I did not care for the mirrors (loved the music, though), but this year I do like the props, although I thought the natural progression based on past props would be armoires. Who knows, the season's just beginning...

Cavaliers

Loved it! Loved every minute of it! They are owning this show already, and it's only the second show! Nature Boy is so haunting and they weave it perfectly throughout the show. They come with power brass and killer drill. Too windy for a good gauge of color guard, but they seemed to be kicking it into high gear. Can't wait to see this live, with the transitions smoothed out and more added onto it! The ending brass moments are just amazing. It feels like the last few hits are coming out of some 70s Bond movie or something. It's so strong.

The Cadets

Another show I absolutely loved! They really moved across the field, and the characterization is great. They utilized the Zimmer piece in a much better fashion than the Bluecoats did last year. The doxology/amazing grace is wonderful writing, and when the corps gets the stamina they need to play, it will be even more beautiful than it is right now. Wish they were a little bit louder, though.

Carolina Crown

I wish I had bought nachos at the concession stand so I'd have something to put all that cheese on. But besides that, there was some great playing to be found in Crown's show. Once again, they used a piece that another corps played the year before, and also reused some music they had used previously. Last year they used a piece Blue Knights used in the same year. The year before that they used something another corps was already doing, along with some music associated with corps of previous years. I want to hear them do a show with music that is not a rehash of other shows. They did sound very good, and their music was difficult. Didn't care for the uniforms, but I guess it fit what they were trying to embody on the field.

Bluecoats

Meh. The music did nothing for me...just like last year. Maybe it'll grow on me, unlike last year. The percussion seemed strong, and some of the d-bag kids in the back row of the theater thought it was good. They acted like complete imbeciles throughout the whole performance and ###### off the rest of us adults until we reminded them that other people were in the theater besides them. I'm rambling on because I remember nothing else about their show. I'll try to take it in again in the VODs to see if it gets better for me.

Phantom Regiment

This show is what I'll use to go to sleep to at night. There needs to be more energy on the field! I never thought I'd say that about Phantom, especially when they're playing Elsa's Procession to the Cathedral. Just not very memorable right now, in my opinion. I thought their show last year was just stellar. Maybe I'll grow into this year's offering.

Santa Clara Vanguard

This show had the most challenging music/drill. They are struggling to rise to the occasion right now, but I expect them to turn this into a very unique and exciting experience. I have high expectations for this show, and I'll wait patiently for them to whip it into shape. I love when they do avant garde, and no one does it like the Vanguard. Get some legs behind this show. Pump up the volume. Give me more hell! It felt like a warm blanket in the theater.

Blue Stars

They had loud moments, and I liked the colorguard costuming. That's all I remember of this show, other than that dangerous-looking platform they have members hanging off of. They need to put some guardrails on the front of that thing. The music was generic to me, and I felt that even with Vanguard's issues, their show was more complicated and had more to offer. At least right now.

Theater was OK. Not loud enough, and the d-bag boys in the back row ruined some really good moments. I did like the interviews with the corps staff, didn't like how they put that kid on the spot about not being center snare. That was kind of a jerk way to cover their mistake. Very awkward, but the kid recovered very nicely from that insult and brought the interview home.

Edited by jaylogan

Cadets: If anyone is going to give Cavies a run for 1st it will be Cadets. Mad fast drill and an "old school" cadets show without a lot of distracting extras to try and sell the theme.

This is so true. I didn't know how to express exactly what I saw in this show, but this is it.

I wasn't distracted by a gimmick. And I don't remember their synth being bothersome. Anybody?

Great post.