Your Theater Experience

While the sound can always be louder, I have no complaints with our sound level.

Apparently in my theater, the Blue Devils, Bluecoats, and Blue Stars were wearing green uniforms. :thumbdown: You saw green, pink, white, black and shades of gray all night. Ugh! I had no idea that Steve and Dennis were wearing blue polos until I saw a photo taken after I got home. Looked green all night to me. I was glad to see those in attendance complain to the theater management and all in attendance got free movie passes.

I was also watching with a heavily favored Blue Stars fan base as I was just down the road from Tarpon Springs High School.

Aside from a power surge in the theater and lost audio on cavs last 3 minutes it was good in Palm Springs

Agree with most everyones comments, but will add one more, can't remember if it was before or after SCV one of the announcers commented that SCV had made it's "Image" by playing obscure music.....I think that is wrong, SCV made their image thru broadway,Fiddler, Sodhiem, Phantom, Miss Siagon, make your garden grow, etc....it was a good case in point during their encore, show piece was meh, but send in the clowns was fuller, richer and more emotional in comparision.... just a observation

A more complete review. Not much to say about guard because the wind really prevented them from doing anything substantial.

Blue Devils - Obviously I am biased so keep that in mind. Horn line has a color that is completely different than any other corps due to the newly designed horns and generous usage of extended harmonies (note: triads completely put me to sleep). Props clearly are not generating effect and hindering the development of drill intricacies. Need to put them to better use or get them out of the way. Music has many great moments but needs to be constructed better as a whole with transitions that make more sense.

Cavaliers - Surprised I am the only one to say this, but it seems the best thing about them is their music and not their drill. Drill does not have any trademark magic moments like they've had in past years. Stilts and upside-down playing are great for fans. Corps should do more of those kinds of things. Horn line has a big sound with a number of impact moments. I continue to be impressed with Drew Shanefield's writing.

Bluecoats - Much better than expected based on what DCPers have been saying. Show design seems up to par with last year. Horns have that same rich sound due to Doug Thrower's scoring. Visually modern and high tech which I think is important to reach out to younger audiences. One thought: you can now say "hell" in a drum corps show? Are stronger words than that coming soon?

Crown - Really FUN! Glad they are filling the void left by Bridgemen and VK and adding some humor. Also glad they are playing non-classical tunes. Will miss that one guard guy when he ages out. He is truly a Rach Star! Don't know if it can win, but who cares! It's fun!

Cadets - About the only interesting actually drill moves of the night. The are utilizing their theme better than anyone else, right down to coordinating uniforms. They will be able to carry and develop this theme all the way to finals. Interesting to me that sometimes themes pull you forward and sometimes they weigh you down. This one is definitely working well for them.

Phantom - Wow, felt like I was watching really old school Phantom. Really reminds me of Phantom of the 70's. Everything is done with beauty and grace but too much so. This show needs some drama, conflict, and tension. See what I said earlier about too many triads.

SCV - Surprised by how much I enjoyed it, again, based on how much people have been dissing it here. Horn line wasn't great but wasn't bad either. Drill seems to keep moving well. My only complaint is the over use of chromatic runs. I know it fits the theme but at a certain point it becomes too predictable and is like listening to exercises. What can you say about Paul Rennick? Takes a problem child and immediately turns it into a strength!

Blue Stars - Most pleasant surprise of the night. Yes, they over-use the synth big time but this show is great. Horn sound was powerful (or maybe DCI turned the sound up for them?) balanced and clear. Love the catwalk! They can figure out more and more things to do with it as the season progresses. The only corps I thought got the shaft from the judges.

• Like 6

Elmwood Theater Harahan Louisiana ( New Orleans )

General Theater comments

100-120 people in the theater

Several fellow band directors with their officers

At least 40 old pharts from the Southern Rebels / Bleu Raeders / Stardusters / Southernairs

At least 40 people I didn't know that seemed to be FMM in their 30's / 40's

Sound wasn't bad, but it wasn't good.

Volume was ok for the most part but gee wiz, the synth/piano is supposed to enhance not overwhelm the sound from the acoustic instruments.

For the most part, the people in the theater were well behaved as compared to years past

( The poor kid behind me was trying very hard to not make sounds while opening his bag of candy. So much so that it took him at least 10 minutes to get the bag open. At first I thought it was a blown tweeter that only I could hear until I realized the kid had his candy bag held low - about 6 inches behind my right ear as he opened it.....the kid really was trying not to disturb anyone )

I've seen several people complain about the intermission. For us older guys with prostate problems, it was welcomed.

We all know it's just the start of the season so my comments about shows are more about design than performance and I need a second look to say anything about guard.

Blue Devils

Seems like the kids worked alot harder than the design team did. This show concept had so much potential, I just hope there is alot more to add ( esp. the cubes )

Cavies

The usual style and grace. Not a show that I cared for but I do appreciate the level of difficulty.

BC

Theres just something missing to make this into a "WOW"

Crown

As a friend said " It's like watching Star trying to do VK" Either add more cheese and be funny, or leave some out and be serious. There could be so much more, so much more...............

Phantom

What a sweet show and it will have some great musical moments. I just wonder if it's not difficult enough? I don't care for the uniforms but not because of how they look in design, they just look cheap and not worthy of Phantom. Looks like a cheap high school imitation of Phantom

Cadets

Some VERY interesting concepts in drill because of the split uniforms

Some very ugly and clustered concepts in drill because of the split uniforms

SCV

Holy hell. OMG yes, it's dirty but WOW, what a show on all levels. For those who have a hard time seeing beyond the dirt, you missed one heck of a show. I can't wait to see this in August. This is a once in a decade type show, I just don't know if the staff can clean it up enough in 8 weeks to make a serious run for the title. I had no idea this show would have the difficulty level to keep me that occupied for the whole show. If they get those forms cleaned this could be one of my alltime favorite drills.

Blue Stars

I found the stage to be very distracting. I understand that theres more to add but talk about an elephant in the room. Even while watching drill on the other side of the field it was still an eyesore. Maybe live it's not so bad ? I just can't see this working out at all. Seems like a 13-15th place show. Those kids deserve better

• Like 2

Here's my theater review:

The announcers could have been better. The older guy was definitely a debbie downer (I don't think he should have been talking about how much certain corps and sections were struggling, and how he was trying to convince everyone the Blue Stars weren't actually loud. Even if it's true, don't do that!). Almost every time it cut to them, it seemed pretty awkward. I love the part where they interviewed Nathan Medina, the Bluecoats snare. "You're center snare this year, right?" "No". He splits center, but isn't actually "center" snare that does tap offs. Definitely see why he said he wasn't center. Anyway, announcers could have been better.

Also, the intermission was annoying. At least show something!

Blue Devils: Very much improved from when I saw them family day. I believe the mics made the corps sound better than they really were (based on reviews here), but it was a very entertaining show. The screamers were a lot stronger this show than at family day. I've never had a problem with the props they've used. I thought they were fairly well used, but I could have just as easily done without.

Cavaliers: Very very cool show. Don't remember much of the music, but I do remember being really into it. Especially the tenor feature. That was incredible.

Bluecoats: Screw you DCP!! You were completely wrong in my opinion. I was in awe with this show, ESPECIALLY the contra feature. Best moment of the night for me, that was insane! The drumline sounds great, the brassline sounds great. Oh, and for those who think the word "hell" is too inappropriate... wow. I'm not saying I think they should keep that, but wow. On a scale of 1-10 on how bad that word is, it's not even .5

Carolina Crown: Really... different show. Cool though, I liked it! I'm really liking the top 8 this year.

Cadets: I can't wait to see them live at Stanford. Their drum feature/battle was incredible. My favorite part of their show.

Phantom Regiment: I know a lot of people will love this show, but this show doesn't quite do it for me. I don't find myself nearly as engaged as I was for the rest of the shows. I'm happy that the percussion is doing well though.

Santa Clara Vanguard: Brassline needs work, and work is what they'll get. It'll be a great product farther down the road (even is now). I like the show, and the drumline is definitely top 3 material. So hard to say if they'll win percussion. I'm liking the Devil's Staircase more than Bartok.

Blue Stars: Very nicely done hornline! Loud, and I don't care what the announcer for the theater broadcast said. They were very impressive, and I like the scaffolding use. Adds that extra dimension.

A lot of electronic use and singing this year, which I don't mind. But this is probably the most I would want to hear. I believe this whole keeping the scores a secret thing probably will even out the corps for a good part of the season. Very possibly could be 3 or 4 contenders this year. Very entertaining top to bottom.

My favorites:

1. Bluecoats

2. Blue Devils

3. Cavaliers

4. The Cadets

5. Santa Clara Vanguard (if their hornline gets more powerful, watch out)

6. Carolina Crown (Not that I didn't like them, but I really liked all the other ones too)

7. Blue Stars

8. Phantom Regiment

How I think it'll end up finals:

1. It's so hard to say, so nevermind.

Edited by Noname
  • Like 1

While the sound can always be louder, I have no complaints with our sound level.

Apparently in my theater, the Blue Devils, Bluecoats, and Blue Stars were wearing green uniforms. :thumbdown: You saw green, pink, white, black and shades of gray all night. Ugh! I had no idea that Steve and Dennis were wearing blue polos until I saw a photo taken after I got home. Looked green all night to me. I was glad to see those in attendance complain to the theater management and all in attendance got free movie passes.

I was also watching with a heavily favored Blue Stars fan base as I was just down the road from Tarpon Springs High School.

It was pretty bad at my theater. I felt like I was watching a movie in 3D without my glasses on. I wanted to go ask for some!

• Like 1

FWIW, the Blue Stars really were that loud in person - it was a *huge* step up from SCV and Phantom before them, and on par with Cadets and Cavaliers.

Mike

I was wondering about that because BD was quiet until they suddenly cranked up the audio in the middle of their show. Thought maybe they

were still fiddling with the knob during Blue Stars.

Here's my theater review:

The announcers could have been better. The older guy was definitely a debbie downer (I don't think he should have been talking about how much certain corps and sections were struggling, and how he was trying to convince everyone the Blue Stars weren't actually loud. Even if it's true, don't do that!). Almost every time it cut to them, it seemed pretty awkward. I love the part where they interviewed Nathan Medina, the Bluecoats snare. "You're center snare this year, right?" "No". He splits center, but isn't actually "center" snare that does tap offs. Definitely see why he said he wasn't center. Anyway, announcers could have been better.

Also, the intermission was annoying. At least show something!

Blue Devils: Very much improved from when I saw them family day. I believe the mics made the corps sound better than they really were (based on reviews here), but it was a very entertaining show. The screamers were a lot stronger this show than at family day. I've never had a problem with the props they've used. I thought they were fairly well used, but I could have just as easily done without.

Cavaliers: Very very cool show. Don't remember much of the music, but I do remember being really into it. Especially the tenor feature. That was incredible.

Bluecoats: Screw you DCP!! You were completely wrong in my opinion. I was in awe with this show, ESPECIALLY the contra feature. Best moment of the night for me, that was insane! The drumline sounds great, the brassline sounds great. Oh, and for those who think the word "hell" is too inappropriate... wow. I'm not saying I think they should keep that, but wow. On a scale of 1-10 on how bad that word is, it's not even .5

Carolina Crown: Really... different show. Cool though, I liked it! I'm really liking the top 8 this year.

Cadets: I can't wait to see them live at Stanford. Their drum feature/battle was incredible. My favorite part of their show.

Phantom Regiment: I know a lot of people will love this show, but this show doesn't quite do it for me. I don't find myself nearly as engaged as I was for the rest of the shows. I'm happy that the percussion is doing well though.

Santa Clara Vanguard: Brassline needs work, and work is what they'll get. It'll be a great product farther down the road (even is now). I like the show, and the drumline is definitely top 3 material. So hard to say if they'll win percussion. I'm liking the Devil's Staircase more than Bartok.

Blue Stars: Very nicely done hornline! Loud, and I don't care what the announcer for the theater broadcast said. They were very impressive, and I like the scaffolding use. Adds that extra dimension.

A lot of electronic use and singing this year, which I don't mind. But this is probably the most I would want to hear. I believe this whole keeping the scores a secret thing probably will even out the corps for a good part of the season. Very possibly could be 3 or 4 contenders this year. Very entertaining top to bottom.

My favorites:

1. Bluecoats

2. Blue Devils

3. Cavaliers

4. The Cadets

5. Santa Clara Vanguard (if their hornline gets more powerful, watch out)

6. Carolina Crown (Not that I didn't like them, but I really liked all the other ones too)

7. Blue Stars

8. Phantom Regiment

How I think it'll end up finals:

1. It's so hard to say, so nevermind.

It's funny that you took Dennis DeLucia to task in your review. He wasn't on there because he's pretty.... tongue.gif

Thank you!