Clovis Cantina

Is there a reason DCI can't differentiate between World and Open class in the recaps?

I don't mean to sound a "snob", but it's hard to make sense of scores that way after a few... beverages.

Dude I was thinking the same thing, and I've had more than a "few" beverages lol...

Hey everybody. Sorry I wasn't blogging tonight, just got back from the show. It was very well attended, and the kids could not have gotten better weather for the show. It was 106 yesterday here, and was down to 94 today.

BDC: How can you fault these kids? They're so cute, all of them. They did a circus themed show, and it was lots of fun. They even had the drum major play a baritone solo, which I thought was cool. I think it was their first show, but they seemed okay.

Revolution: Larger than BDC, but it seemed like they wrote the show for a bigger corps. I liked hearing Samuel Hazo's Ride again, but the corps was pretty weak overall sadly. Lots of brass performances issues, just a thin, unbalanced sound, and a few kids out there really looked lost in the drill, even had a couple of falls, which is always sad. I'd like to see how they improve over the course of the season, they're show looks like it has the potential to be pretty good and make Open Class Finals.

BDB: This corps was really big, I wouldn't be surprised if they weren't pushing 130+ kids. And they sure looked and sounded like a defending champion when they came on the field. The sound was much louder, and much more full than Revolution, and a show built more for them. The guard uniforms were more of Scott Chandler's high-lighter collection sweater vests, with other color single sleeves. The corps started off great, but really seemed to lose it about halfway through. They had a very awkward transition, where the pit switched from a drum set, rock groove, right to a Latin/African pit groove, and it threw the corps off. They tore a little bit, and it just went downhill from there. It seemed like they spent all of their time practicing the first half of their show, then hadn't touched the back half after they had learned it. Score wise, I would have put them much closer, if not below SCVC, just because of the back half of their show.

SCVC: These guys seemed much, much more prepared for this show than BDB did. The music is all original, and wasn't much variation throughout, which I was hoping for, since it wasn't too memorable. VIsually though, they were much stronger than BDB. The kids seemed much more familiar with their drill and visuals, but there were some timing issues, and a couple of people being off-step. Overall, I felt like they should have topped BDB, or been much closer in score.

Mandarins: The first World Class corps of the night, and it looked like a much different Mandarins corps than I saw last year. Last year this time, most of the kids just seemed lost on the field, but I saw a much more mature, confident Mandarins corps tonight. THe visual program looked like it had been written more to the talent level, meaning that they'll be able to clean it much more, giving them a better chance to move their score higher. I'm not sure if their show is finished as of right now, since it seemed to end in a very awkward spot, right at the end of a drum break. If anyone knows their show better, maybe it is done, but I wasn't sure at all.

PC: Wow, this corps was on a completely different level than Mandarins, both in size and ability. They were much bigger, they may be full sized this year. The first thing I noticed is that they've changed their marching technique, it's not closer to the SCV/ Cavaliers technique, with the bent knee movement. Not sure if there's been any staff movement there, but I like it. Their show, Push, Pull, Twist, Turn seemed a bit abstract, and did not really come across at all. They did a couple of visuals where I think they were trying to show each piece, but they would really use a lot more to illustrate the point. Musically, they were quite strong for a lower World Class corps, and I feel they could push for Semis this year, and maybe make it up to 16th or 15th, with enough work.

Blue Knights: Now, let me preface by saying that I don't really enjoy Holst's First Suite. I've had to play it in every performing ensemble I've ever been, from the junior high level to college, so I've played it so many times, I don't enjoy it anymore. But I did enjoy the Blue Knights show. They really hit you with an impact pretty close to the start, with a big company front, and the crowd sure seemed to enjoy it. I'm glad that Blue knights are sticking with their show style from last year, where audience connection is a big part of the show. I did notice that they've tweaked their marching technique, now they move backwards just like the Cadets, with the roll-up of the foot when they go backwards at slower tempos. It was sure interesting to watch. I think the coolest part of the show was either the final company front in the Vaughn-WIlliams piece, or the Scottish sling drum feature with the pit. Those pit kids are pretty talented percussionists, even their stick visuals were clean. I see this show ending up in the 8-12 range, but making finals solidly.

SCV: Wow, what a difference a week makes!!!! This was a completely different corps than I had seen on film a week ago. This corps was solid, visually, musically, all of it. They really look like their getting the show under their feet, and as a result, the brass was much stronger, and much louder. They still aren't FFF drum corps loud, but they have a good sound, and will get there by the end of the season. Apparently, there is a "Vanguard" yell in the show, in the closer, I heard it come from a few people, so there might be one finally. Again, the percussion was great tonight, I see them taking the Sanford this year, and their score will help the corps out. I think everyone who saw the corps rough and struggling should watch them tomorrow night at Stanford, and they will see a brand new corps, I think this could easily be a Top 5 show with enough work. The ballad might be the best of the year, with some work and volume. But I see a lot of potential here, and a lot of parallels to the 2000 show, and we all know how amazing that show is.

Phantom: I really, really want to like this show, but it really doesn't do enough for me. The area in between East of Eden and Elsa's just seems like filler, at least to me. I'm not really a Nino Rota fan to begin with, but I think they could have used the East of Eden music in the ballad, and had some more effect. The Verdi Requiem was nice, but for some insane reason, they put a drum beat over the Mozart Requiem, on the synth-drum, and it really ruined it. It's like when they put the ride cymbals in New World, and it messed up the whole feel. I hope they take the drum set part out of their. Elsa's was still just so good, but it needs to be longer.... it just seems like it starts, and then ends. I love the piece, and want more of it. The thing that bothers me, is that they try and end a Romeo and Juliet show on a high note, and I just don't think you can do it..... Overall tonight, they had a very, very, very rough night, visually and musically. There were a few collisions, and a lot of foot timing problems. And musically, there was a lot of times where instead of loud, I got car horn sounds. I know the euphs are the Buicks, but the whole hornline should not sound like a car horn when they're playing loud.

BD: This show is very interesting to me. Musically, I love this show. I really do, I haven't heard BD sound like good in a long time, or do a show I musically enjoy as much as this one. Visually though, they still lose me. The cheesy little visuals, and the pointless body movement and prop movement just really detract from what is a great show. I really think this show could be just as good, if not better, without the props, namely the asteriks and poles, they just really have no point for being there. I think the biggest problem with this show right now is the transitions. There are none, the show has no flow in it. It's just song, pause, song, pause, song, pause, etc.... I really think with some well-done transitions, this show would score better. Do I see them medaling, possibly if they add transitions, and find something to do to make the props make sense? Do I see them winning? Not a chance, I just think there's too much good competition this year to push them off the top spot

Cadets: I think I saw the 2011 champion tonight. This show was solid, top to bottom, and really had the audience behind it. From the moment the corps walked in, the audience was drawn in, and the Cadets delivered. They were easily the best visually, and musically, they had it down, except the percussion, there were a few rough edges there, but it's still June. The war section was really cool, but I felt like the section with the whole corps in a block doing stuff with the poles was a little too close to last year's Cavaliers show.... but that's just me. I think that Doxology/Amazing Grace could be the ballad of the year, with the only other contender being SCV's Eternal Knot.

Overall, this was a great night of drum corps. It was good to see the corps in California with a little bit of experience under their belts. We're so used to getting the first shows of the year, and it was good to see some more polish on the shows. Maybe they can do this every year, get the rest of the country to get the first shows, instead of California.

In terms of scores, I think I would have changed the order up a little bit. I would have gone:

BDC

Revolution

BDB

SCVC

World Class

Mandarins

PC

Blue Knights

Phantom

SCV

BD

Cadets

I know, a little bit different, but that's just what I saw from tonight. Hope everyone enjoys the review, I'll be watching Stanford on Fan Network tomorrow, don't have the money to make the drive

• Like 2

Cadets!

Scv and phantom tied now.

BD took high drums.

BK had some 4th places in there.

SCV: Wow, what a difference a week makes!!!! This was a completely different corps than I had seen on film a week ago. This corps was solid, visually, musically, all of it. They really look like their getting the show under their feet, and as a result, the brass was much stronger, and much louder. They still aren't FFF drum corps loud, but they have a good sound, and will get there by the end of the season. Apparently, there is a "Vanguard" yell in the show, in the closer, I heard it come from a few people, so there might be one finally. Again, the percussion was great tonight, I see them taking the Sanford this year, and their score will help the corps out. I think everyone who saw the corps rough and struggling should watch them tomorrow night at Stanford, and they will see a brand new corps, I think this could easily be a Top 5 show with enough work. The ballad might be the best of the year, with some work and volume. But I see a lot of potential here, and a lot of parallels to the 2000 show, and we all know how amazing that show is.

Please say it's true!!! :worthy: :worthy: :worthy:

• Like 1

I can FINALLY reply? What's up with the wait???

Anyways- BK are UNREAL this year- they will be a crowd favorite I'm sure.

Great show in Clovis last night- HUGE crowd, great weather.

Hey everybody. Sorry I wasn't blogging tonight, just got back from the show. It was very well attended, and the kids could not have gotten better weather for the show. It was 106 yesterday here, and was down to 94 today.

<clip>

Hey, that was a very fine review. Thanks.

Cali.

Amen to that

Cali hope you finally got to talk to your son after he charged his phone?:)