The No-Woodbury-Lounge-Yet Lounge

Because I don't believe there has been a percussion judge at those shows, someone correct me if I'm wrong.

On another note, spreads have been about as inconsistent as can be between Blue Stars and Bluecoats...

6/18 4.15

6/19 3.95

6/21 0.7

6/25 3.2

6/28 2.3

At this point I have no idea where anyone really stands (and neither does anyone else despite what they may think) We'll see what happens at the first regional.

Other than the one scoring annomally on 6/21 i think the scores definitivley show Blue Stars are gaining on Bluecoats. Can't really see how you say they are "inconsistant"

Other than the one scoring annomally on 6/21 i think the scores definitivley show Blue Stars are gaining on Bluecoats. Can't really see how you say they are "inconsistant"

I meant the scores themselves were inconsistent (not necessarily a bad thing I hate slotting, just hard to get an accurate picture of how they really match up) but I agree if you take out the .7 spread there is a "consistent" gain on Bluecoats shown there.

Edited by BozzlyB

but remember these are short panels and not even consistent short panels. sometimes there's a drum judge, sometimes it's a brass judge, and last night it was a visual performance judge. When do the full panels start??

but remember these are short panels and not even consistent short panels. sometimes there's a drum judge, sometimes it's a brass judge, and last night it was a visual performance judge. When do the full panels start??

Agree, and as such I think scores are fairly meaningless at this point. Quite frankly I would rather see shows go unjudged than being judged with incomplete panels which really means nothing more than the sheets are not being accurately reflected in the score, so what is the point? DCI needs to pull judging until the full panels start, or suck it up and have full panels from the first show on.

or if they aren't going to have a full panel, then at least come up with a new consistent short panel which jdges all aspects of the show. Maybe make it 1 overall GE judge, 1 Visual Judge, 1 color Guard Judge, 1 Brass Judge, 1 Perc Judge. And make each caption worth 20 points and define these 5 captions uniquely from the 8 captions which are used in a full panel system.

• Like 1

I meant the scores themselves were inconsistent (not necessarily a bad thing I hate slotting, just hard to get an accurate picture of how they really match up) but I agree if you take out the .7 spread there is a "consistent" gain on Bluecoats shown there.

I think it is entirely plausible (and correct) that the Blue Stars are gaining on both Bluecoats and Crown. I have predicted #5 for the Blue Stars this year, and I would be shocked to see much lower than that. The show is too good. I have also commented on why the Bluecoats will need to make some changes if they want to contend this year.

• Like 1

Agree, and as such I think scores are fairly meaningless at this point. Quite frankly I would rather see shows go unjudged than being judged with incomplete panels which really means nothing more than the sheets are not being accurately reflected in the score, so what is the point? DCI needs to pull judging until the full panels start, or suck it up and have full panels from the first show on.

It is funny that people think the main reason judges judge early season drum corps is to give a score. No.... It is to provide feedback to the corps. It makes perfect sense that DCI rotates which captions are judged so the corps can get feedback on different sections of their corps..... while at the same time saving money. It also makes sense that the ensemble and effect judges are always present because these are captions which need to be addressed sooner (making changes to the show) rather than later (like the performance captions..... cleaning). The score at this point really is just for fun/bragging rights.

• Like 1

It is funny that people think the main reason judges judge early season drum corps is to give a score. No.... It is to provide feedback to the corps. It makes perfect sense that DCI rotates which captions are judged so the corps can get feedback on different sections of their corps..... while at the same time saving money. It also makes sense that the ensemble and effect judges are always present because these are captions which need to be addressed sooner (making changes to the show) rather than later (like the performance captions..... cleaning). The score at this point really is just for fun/bragging rights.

Then eliminate the scores and just give feedback. Scores in the early season can result in slotting simply based on performance order at the early regionals. Scoring anything just for "Fun/bragging rights" is dumb in my book.

• Like 1

Then eliminate the scores and just give feedback. Scores in the early season can result in slotting simply based on performance order at the early regionals. Scoring anything just for "Fun/bragging rights" is dumb in my book.

I don't understand this rational. It is not like corps are being scored wildly differently than they would be with a full panel. What evidence do you have that this contributes to "slotting?"

Also, the only scores of the season that are anything more than just fun or for bragging rights are the Regionals (because they determine performance order at championships), and the Championships (for obvious reasons). At all of these shows, there are full panels.

I really don't see what the major problem is here. DCI had created the best situation possible to both save money and create competitive interest. If they completely eliminated scores altogether at shows without full panels, I believe the overall experience may be less enjoyable for the fan. Keep in mind the majority of people at the average drum corps show will only see that one show the entire season.... most will never go online to check scores, and for many that one night is their entire summer of drum corps. Don't you think many would like to see "who won" the contest.... or at least if "x" corps beat "y" corps? Look how many people stay and watch the awards.. they care about scores..... and just because the judging panel is not exactly the same as it will be at the major shows, the score is still valid... at least for those 5 judges that night. And also, don't you think the fact that each show of the season is actually a competition gives the corps just a slight incentive to work even harder, and perform even better?