What's holding Carolina Crown from a gold?

175 members have voted

1. 1. What's holding Carolina Crown from a gold?

This whole question strikes me as a little strange considering Crown's first/only medal finish was all of 2 years ago. Oh when will they ever escape this endless quagmire? Don't they know they have a date with Destiny and her father wants her home by 11?

To put things in perspective, the last time either the Cadets or Cavaliers themselves won the gold, Crown was still a corps that had never finished better than 7th.

I think it's a tad early to start defining them in terms of what they haven't accomplished. :rolleyes:

Come on, I thought for sure it was going to happen in 2010. Its all good. They are really good, and I hope nothing but the best for them in 2011.

GO CAROLINA CROWN!

Edited by thirdcoast

I think we can all agree that Carolina Crown is an exceptional corps. I've been a huge Crown fan since their 2007 show, "Triple Crown." There are a couple of years where you could argue that they were championship material, such as last year, definitely 2009, and maybe even 2008. "Rach Star," on the other hand, simply isn't that great of a show.

Every great corps will have the occasional year where they kind of screwed up with the show design. Being a Cavies fan, I was not particularly fond of the Billy Joel show in 2007. That's not to say that it wasn't performed well, it just wasn't a very entertaining show (at least not for me). The same problem faces Crown this year. They are performing the snot out of "Rach Star," but the thing that will probably keep them from the gold medal is the show design.

I'm fairly certain that Klesch and May have their roots in the Cadets 98 championship. Klesch is absolutely, insanely obsessed with Mickey mouse.

Matt and Ben Harloff were marching/member icons of early 90's Star of Indiana programs. They have huge personalities and are awesome guys.

Michael Klesch aged out of Cadets (as DM) and then did the brass arrangements through most of the '80's (including '87 & '90). He has quite a collection of rings.

Leon May aged out of Cadets in '90, and then taught after. He also has rings.

Edited by CuriousMe

Every great corps will have the occasional year where they kind of screwed up with the show design. Being a Cavies fan, I was not particularly fond of the Billy Joel show in 2007. That's not to say that it wasn't performed well, it just wasn't a very entertaining show (at least not for me). The same problem faces Crown this year. They are performing the snot out of "Rach Star," but the thing that will probably keep them from the gold medal is the show design.

Lol. So if we pare this down to nuts and bolts:

Rach Star does not entertain me. Therefore it must be "bad design". Therefore it will not win.

The same statement can be made about "Ninja Turtles on Stilts" or "Brass Twirling Shiny Sticks Badly" or "Konnex Cubes 101" or "Falling From Scaffolding".

I'm ok with that. Your opinion is just as valid as anyone else. Just don't try to pass it off as "Bad Design".

Be honest and say " I don't like it. I don't think shows that I don't like should win".

IMO design-wise 2010 Crown had *way* more design problems than 2011. Not to mention "Whack-A-Battery" taking it's toll.

While it's easy to compare Rach Star to every bad rock-anthem marching band show we've ever seen, the fact is the show is far different from that -- not just in execution but design. I had the same reaction as every one else here when I heard about the show. But if you actually watch what they're doing and listen to what they're playing, it's top-shelf stuff (even if the pre-show is a bit cheesy).

Where will it end up? Guess we have to wait and see :-)

• Like 5

East Coast Inflation - obviously

• Like 3

Rach Star does not entertain me. Therefore it must be "bad design". Therefore it will not win.

The same statement can be made about "Ninja Turtles on Stilts" or "Brass Twirling Shiny Sticks Badly" or "Konnex Cubes 101" or "Falling From Scaffolding".

I'm ok with that. Your opinion is just as valid as anyone else. Just don't try to pass it off as "Bad Design".

Be honest and say " I don't like it. I don't think shows that I don't like should win".

IMO design-wise 2010 Crown had *way* more design problems than 2011. Not to mention "Whack-A-Battery" taking it's toll.

While it's easy to compare Rach Star to every bad rock-anthem marching band show we've ever seen, the fact is the show is far different from that -- not just in execution but design. I had the same reaction as every one else here when I heard about the show. But if you actually watch what they're doing and listen to what they're playing, it's top-shelf stuff (even if the pre-show is a bit cheesy).

I agree, especially in regard to last year. I feel like this year there is a much more stable design and that the ideas flow more cohesively. It's a rock show, but it's a very maturely and meticulously planned rock show (as is accentuated by the Rach). The staff deserves a ton of credit for taking an idea many people would laugh at (and many people did) and turning into something great that will be remembered for years to come.

Insightful and QFT.

• Like 2

That was my bad. I meant to include the fact that it was my opinion.

I agree, especially in regard to last year. I feel like this year there is a much more stable design and that the ideas flow more cohesively. It's a rock show, but it's a very maturely and meticulously planned rock show (as is accentuated by the Rach). The staff deserves a ton of credit for taking an idea many people would laugh at (and many people did) and turning into something great that will be remembered for years to come.

like.