Adirondack Drums - 29 June 2011

Thanks BRASSO for wanting to hear my opinion on the corps, but I've learned to keep my mouth shut on certain things and be a little more generic in my responses. I'll just keep my comments as I stated them previously for now. Seems anytime I've responded in the positive towards any corps (from a show I attended) other people from other corps like jump down my throat and report inaccuracies even if they were not even there. I really don't want to stress about it tonight...LOL

I understand....it makes sense why some may not to want to go through any of that.

I was at the show tonight, So I'll weigh in with some comments. The field is a baseball field, but they use the outfield so no one marched over the pitchers mound. It did seem slick though, footing seemed to be a problem.

I had never seen the 7thRegiment before. I was impressed, the drum line was very good.

For some reason my son fell in lovewith Jersey Surf last year ( probably the surf board at the souvie stand ). Liked their show, the first half seemed better than the second.

Spirit was next, the show was very good, with room to grow. Really nice brass sound, Harlem Nocturn was one of the crowd favorites tonight.

What to say about the Crossmen? First of all I love their show, I believe that the warmup was from Twin Peaks which I posted I wanted to hear a corps perform in a different thread. The flashbacks to 90 and 9 weregreat, and Hallejua gave me goosebumps. I think the placement was right, was dissapointed in the gap between them and Spirit.

Madison was first on after Int, have not seen them in many years but they are back. The sound was unbelievable, brass and percussion were both on tonight. They are back , and dangerous, and were probably the crowd favorite for most people over 45.

Boston ( my daughters favorite corps ) was next. After reading the program this was the show I was most looking foreward to. I am a huge Les Mis fan. The corps sounded great, I loved the music and thought that they performed it well, but something just left me flat. I think that there is a great show in there somewhere but it might need some tweaking to find it.

Carolina finished the show, the preshow was great. I was worried about how the music would play out in this form but I have to say it worked. My daughter even liked them better than Boston tonight, and that is saying something. The shift from Queen to the Piano Concerto was awesome. They deserved the win tonight.

As a last note, thanks to all of the performers and staff. This was the most entertaining show I have seen in Glens Falls in quite a few years. Hope the corps stay with this type of music selection

Thanks for sharing. If the June reviews are a gauge, it seems like more and more Corps are producing more fan friendly shows than in the most recent past.

Thanks for sharing. If the June reviews are a gauge, it seems like more and more Corps are producing more fan friendly shows than in the most recent past.

Didn't the word come down from DCI about their wish for more fan friendly music. Michael has preached it I guess at all the seminars/meetings.

I understand....it makes sense why some may not to want to go through any of that.

They are just posturing. You are ok we don't gava any way.

On that note, any Hockey fans here? Does anyone think the Avalanche can make

their way back into contention anytime soon?

Canes STH ever since I moved back to NC.

If we go to the front page now of DCP ( before it's updated with the scores from tonite ) we see that Madison was ranked over Crown in the unweighted ranking standings. These things are meaningless. What counts is head to head match ups. Crown was ranked below Madison, but had not competed against Madison... even once. They competed with different judges and were judged in comparison to a different mix of Corps. It makes all the difference. Tonite Madison and Crown matched up head to head. And now we have a more realistic " ranking "....and spread.

right, cause they just use some variation of current score or average score, but not a comparison of spreads. My spread calculation had Crown sitting in 4th and Madison sitting in 7th with just under a 2 point difference.

Nice performances last night. These corps were definitely moving in a more fan-friendly direction, namely MELODIES that last more than 2 seconds!

Spirit did well, but I wish we saw more effective vis design from most of the corps last night. I think you can throw Boston's # out the window. They just had an off night. It really had the feel of 'this is one of our first DCI events this yr'. Nasty 5 person pileup, I don't know how no one got hurt. Also for a Les Mis show I hope the music can be more effective.

Very impressed with Madison. Not sure how much they can grow as the year goes on. Nice job taking a crowd friendly show with a modern design approach instead of doing a complete throwback. Crown was clearly the most talented corps. Their vis design was also the most satisfying on the night.

Judges got this group right last night, though I think you will see Boston trending higher as they get settled into their tour.

Edited by jetman1287

Cavies break 80 -- 80.3 at Mankato (according to CorpsScores).

Crown is less than a point behind.

Congrats to ALL the Corps tonight! Can't wait until Atlanta!

Actually Crown was 2.9 points behind Cavaliers on 6/26 which was the last time they faced each other head to head, until they close this gap in a head to head meeting they are still 2.9 points behind Cavaliers. Scores from different shows are not directly relatable as is evidenced by tonights show in which Crown maintained their almost 3 point lead over Madison from last friday even though Madison had outscored them when comparing each corps last shows prior to last night.

It's all about the spreads and not the actual scores.

Didn't the word come down from DCI about their wish for more fan friendly music. Michael has preached it I guess at all the seminars/meetings.

Reportedly, they'll be new judging sheets introduced for next season that will factor into the scoring this element too. ( Don't know how the judges will gauge this newly incorporated " entertainment factor ", into their scoring, but thats what they are reportedly going to be instructed to do starting with next season's judged competitions ).

Edited by BRASSO

Actually they did compete against each other last week. Madison was 3.0

behind Crown and tonight they were 2.7 behind. Your point still holds

though. Comparing different Corps at different shows is meaningless.

But that being said, I'm still very encouraged for the Scouts. Last year

at their first meeting against Crown, they were 6.4 points behind them.

Much closer this year so far!

Scores are super tricky this time of year. Scouts were 2.7 behind Crown last night with no drum judge, and last time they were at the same show with a drum judge Crown beat Scouts by .9 in drums. Do you weigh that in and say if drums were judged the spread would have been roughly 3.6? It's hard to say, but my guess would be that if drums had been judged last night the spread between Scouts and Crown would have been at least over 3 pts.

Also (and this confuses me to no end) if you add up all the caption scores from the show you get the total posted score even with no drum judge. If the drum judge had been there Crown would have been in the 90's. I don't get it.

Edited by BozzlyB