Phantom Regiment 2011 Shades of 96

Let me throw a thought out there and let y'all throw daggers at me.......360 degree turn ala 93?

I was curious, so I went to the fan network and pulled up the 1993 show. And by the way they used the 360 degree turn at the end of 2003 (Harmonic Journey) as well.

I became intrigued with the whole show. I watched it twice. This show says a whole lot about what is currently being discussed. You can see at least parts of it on youtube. In the style of PR, this show is actually fairly progressive given the direction of today's drill designs. As someone said about Juliet, it has good flow, good transition and is very cohesive. The parts of the drill of the 1993 show are not as arbitrary, IMO, as Juliet. Some of Juliet's drill appear to be odd shapes for odd shapes sake. The 1993 show has an intensity, like 1996, that Juliet has yet to achieve. And by intensity, not necessarily sped up tempo, but an aggressive approach to playing. Even ballads can have an intensity given the proper approach.

I do think the ending movement will be totally different in a month and it should help build the whole show to a nice ending crescendo.

Edited by srb30a

The crab stepping wedge in to the 360 turn is the move I was referencing.

The mirror on the uniform was no accident and perhaps they had a visual in mind when they added the mirror.

hey drummergirl, are you a student at auburn?

Its a nice show, but for me doesnt have the "wow" moment anywhere. Perhaps its yet to be revealed. I think the 96 corps had built in "HOLY SH**" moments from the beginning. Their visual may not have been a Cavaliers or Star of Indiana type visual, but it was certainly par with the top visual programs and marched with almost perfection by finals night.

This years corps again, its a very nice show but I dont know that it has that same power behind it as 1996, but that was one special corps. Especially Brass wise! This years color guard however is brilliant! Their brass is very strong as always and the percussion has proved many people wrong who thought they would just die out without the former percussion staff. Maybe they have some tricks we havent seen though! I look forward to seeing them completed in Allentown!

Well, someone "stole" my idea lol. I have been wanting to say that one of the things I think this show needs is Phantom's famous 360 degree spin at the end of "Requiem" after the "Rockford file" move. I think it would fit perfectly and frankly am shocked they have not put it in there because it seems like it would be so natural. Maybe it's just me...

Well, someone "stole" my idea lol. I have been wanting to say that one of the things I think this show needs is Phantom's famous 360 degree spin at the end of "Requiem" after the "Rockford file" move. I think it would fit perfectly and frankly am shocked they have not put it in there because it seems like it would be so natural. Maybe it's just me...

Perhaps so. But it's not a June move. It's a mid-to-late July move.

I really can't see the comparison between this show and 1996.

1996 show was a beast. The opener was slow, sure, but it was very powerful - the way the music built and built until it finally peaked at the end of the opener, haven't heard anything like it since. It was Shostakovich - music was dark, powerful, really captured the mood of the Soviet people at that time in history.

With this Juliet show, it is pretty - and Wagner was a great composer for brass alone, not to mention strings - so his music almost naturally fits for drum corps - but his music, in my opinion, just doesn't have that dark sound and power that Shostakovich had.

96 being > than 2011 has, I think, much more to do with Shostakovich > Wagner in this regard, rather than staff and/or show design. But with this kind of theme, Wagner is pretty much the man to go to for the kind of opener they chose. Try doing a Juliet show with Shostakovich - :blink: ?

Maybe Prokofiev's "Romeo and Juliet" works, because his style is distinctly different than Shos' - and if I remember correctly, they are doing this Prokofiev piece in their show - and Prokofiev's playful nature makes for a good middle mov't of a drum corps show - fast visuals with drum features.

Edited by BoyWonder1911

Try doing a Juliet show with Shostakovich - :blink: ?

I can think of plenty of Shostakovich possibilities! Most people only know Shostakovich through his 5th, 7th, and 10th symphonies. He's got a full 15 of them, 15 string quartets to boot, and that's just the tip of the iceberg. He was an incredibly prolific composer, especially considering his circumstances. You should check out some more of his stuff!

Maybe Prokofiev's "Romeo and Juliet" works, because his style is distinctly different than Shos'

Yes and no. I can think of plenty of pieces to play for you where you would immediately think "that's Shostakovich!" when it was in fact Prokofiev (and vice versa).

Anyway, I'm getting off-topic. Regiment 96, like Regiment 08, was one of those once in a blue moon opportunities where all the stars lined up on one particular night for something magical to happen. I really, really doubt it will happen this year.

On another note, you Phantom guys LOVE to make connections to 96 :rolleyes: Was it 07 quarterfinals where Phantom had the same score and placement as Regiment 96, and people started going nuts? Geez :tongue: